TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

DC Autocross Event #5 at Fed Ex Update with VIDEO

VIDEO - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=15753235

The WDCR Region recently held Event #5 at Fed Ex Field this past Sunday. The course was a little shorter than most D.C. courses, but still just as fun.

First run started out fairly strong, running the fastest raw time of 43.8xx in STX for first runs, but clipped a cone somewhere. Couldn't find where on the video either. My second run I just tried to get a clean run in, pulling off a 44.2xx and putting me in 2nd at the time. Third run I went too deep into a turn, putting me off course. Then on my final 4th run I decided I didn't want to be fast and finished with a 44.7xx, leaving my second run of the day as my fastest run.

So I was extremely lucky enough to end the day in 2nd place in STX. We had a very competitive STX field that day, with the top 6 finishing within 0.6 seconds of each other (1st Place was 44.0xx, with 6th coming in at 44.6xx). So far this year, nobody has won STX twice, so it's been a lot of fun. Although, I guess it would be more fun winning every event. :p

Although I was not extremely happy with my driving on the day, I was able to accomplish something more important. Going in to the event, I was tied for 1st in season points for STX, with third place only 3 points back. At this event, the guy I was tied with came in 5th, and the third place guy came in 7th. This allowed me to open up a 4 point lead for 1st in STX. It's still anybody's title though, as the points system goes 12 for the win, 9, 7, 6, 5, 4, etc. So getting a win can easily bring anybody back. There's two more events left on the year, so if I can pull off a win and a 2nd place then I think I can pull it out. It'll be fun trying at least!

3 STU - 2006 Philly STX Champ - 2007/2008 WDCR STX Champ - Sponsored by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
piknockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
SuperHatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2618

My Ride:
07 Tundra, 95 240SX, 01 GSXR 750

Awesome, congrats... I saw you at a few SJR events last year, great driving!

"My life is a cup of sugar I borrowed before time began and forgot to return."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
SuperHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

Thanks Stephen! I haven't been to SJR this year since I moved down to Columbia, MD. But perhaps once we move to Aberdeen i can make one or two. I know Aaron is running up there this year, so I may head up with him some time.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
SuperHatch
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2618

My Ride:
07 Tundra, 95 240SX, 01 GSXR 750

Well, I havn't made it to any events this year either. I don't own an Evo anymore, so that's one of the reasons why.

"My life is a cup of sugar I borrowed before time began and forgot to return."

|
SuperHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
adamkob32
Tri-State Addict

Member #911

My Ride:
Anything With 4 Wheels

Nice dude, gosh I have to get down there and run sometime.

What do you have currently suspension and spring wise. The car seemed to transition very hard, looked like it would be tough to go smooth in the slaloms and offsets.

--Adam

XBL ID - Radical Knob

"Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers"
adamkob32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

Yeah, slaloms and offsets are my kryptonite...along with any course that requires 3rd gear.

The suspension is getting a complete overhaul in the offseason. I'm currently running Tein Basics with no adjustability and 6k springs f/r. I plan on running a Koni/GC setup with probably 700-800lbs. springs f/r. I'm also running -2.0 camber up front, and plan on working some tricks to pull out -3.0 degrees. On top of that, I'm currently running 235/40/17 Azenis on 17x7.5" wheels and am hoping next year to run 245/40/17 RE-01's on 17x8 wheels. But that last one depends on how much my wife will let me spend. She's already promised I can do the suspension, but I may have to keep my current wheel package and just run 235/40/17's again next year, but will be bumping to RE-01's.

Right now the car needs a few tweaks, which I hope to do soon. I need to stiffen the RSB to get the car to rotate better, along with getting a new alignment and running -2.25 to -2.5 camber up front, not sure how much more I can get out of it now with my current top suspension mounts. I also have a lot of driver work to do as my driving style is what contributes to alot of my snap oversteer situations and why the car tends to understeer if driven by someone who knows how to drive.

And you should DEFINITELY come down to D.C. Great lot and I know Cy has been coming down to most of them.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
adamkob32
Tri-State Addict

Member #911

My Ride:
Anything With 4 Wheels

Sounds like you have a good plan going then. You don't want to add some offset to your springs instead of playing with the rear bar? Even a 50lb difference can do a good bit.

--Adam

XBL ID - Radical Knob

Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

Offset to the springs? As in getting new springs? Adjusting the RSB is free and there's only 5 more events left on the season. I'm just trying to get through w/o spending much, if any, money and going all out next year in preparation for a 2008 Nationals appearance.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
adamkob32
Tri-State Addict

Member #911

My Ride:
Anything With 4 Wheels

No I mean your talking about running the same spring rate front and rear. Since your having some problems with rotation get a 50 - 100 lb heavier spring and use it in the rear to get a little more out of it.

--Adam

XBL ID - Radical Knob

Old 08-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

I should have specified. In my future setup I'm probably going to run higher rates in the rear, probably 100lbs difference. Just haven't decided how high I want to go. Possibly 700f/800r, but I still have some research to do. Good thing I've got the entire off season to figure it out.

Also as far as now is concerned, my RSB is only at about 50%, so I have a lot of room to play with that without wasting money on new springs for the Teins.