TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #601
piku
Tri-State Addict
 
piku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bradentucky, FL
Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

iTrader: (0)
It's a valve tap for sure but it doesn't sound like an empty hydraulic lifter. It behaves much differently. Probably best to get a pro ear on it. He's doing the right thing imho.
piku is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #602
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore
 
Elliott18t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Blue bell/Ambler ,PA
Member #9456

My Ride:
03 GTI w/ F4h-T 250-260hp goal

iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Elliott18t
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
Sounds like the timing needs some adjustment. You do have 87 octane in that tank.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

TST's Dub Cult
Elliott18t is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #603
piku
Tri-State Addict
 
piku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bradentucky, FL
Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

iTrader: (0)
Actually I take that back. Thinking about the noise and the frequency I could be convinced that it was bottom end too.
piku is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #604
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore
 
russiankid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lincoln University PA
Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott18t View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by piku View Post
Actually I take that back. Thinking about the noise and the frequency I could be convinced that it was bottom end too.
Well considering he is most likely running on 87 octane or something low, he could be just pinging like a mother****er.
__________________
2012' Scion tC 6-speed M/T.
russiankid is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #605
Nick Merrone
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philly
Member #10807

My Ride:
c18det hatch

iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Nick Merrone
looking good dan. Thanks for always stoping by in my thread, i figured i'd finally read these 31 pages...:P
Nick Merrone is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #606
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!
 
DPancoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

iTrader: (6)
Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Haha thanks, Nick.

We'll see what they say about the tapping. Hopefully it's just the gas.
__________________
Dan

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #607
piku
Tri-State Addict
 
piku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bradentucky, FL
Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

iTrader: (0)
I'm going to say no... It was rhythmic. Wouldn't pinging be random? I think really all bets are off on a brand new engine. If it's still being annoying after a couple hundred miles then maybe something legit is wrong.
piku is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #608
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!
 
DPancoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

iTrader: (6)
Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Yeah. I told him everything I could about the build, the parts, and my and your guys thoughts. So I'm sure it'll be ok.

He's also going to retorque the head for me which is good. The car is in good hands and I am excited. I'll have it back next week.
__________________
Dan

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #609
lagos
Tri-State Post Whore
 
lagos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Member #989

My Ride:
Toyota Celica GT-Two

iTrader: (0)
1. the car will run, idle, etc... perfectly on 87 octane. the higher octane comes into play once boost is being made. why does that car have **** gas in there in the first place though? last time you drove it it was on the dyno with 93 in it, right?

2. it sounds like you guys must have not installed the head gasket wrong. if those oil passages get blocked, i guess it could lead lack of oil pressure in the head causing the noise? i dont know, id have to hear it for myself.

3. its a BRAND NEW short block. OEM, off the assembly line. Id be 99% that there is nothing wrong with that. However if there is a 1% chance, you do have a 12month 12,000 mile warranty with toyota on it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The accelerator on my toyota has always been stuck to the floor..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
lagos is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #610
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!
 
DPancoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

iTrader: (6)
Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
I don't have a way of telling if the head gasket is on wrong because my oil pressure guage does not work (which i'm having them fix). It's a 50% chance that it's upside down/flipped/whatever you wanna call it but I think I'd be having some real bad leaks or problems already. Not only that but I wouldn't have put it on with things not lining up so I am almost positive it's not lack of oil pressure from the head gasket. The car idles perfectly other than that dumb tap lol. Or tick or whatever you wanna call it. As I said, it comes at goes at idle, and when I was moving the distributor around it wad also coming and going with that.

The car did have 93 in it previous to the failure but with ny fuel gauge reading so low I'm not sure how much gas is really in it. We dumped in 87 (wasn't aware of the octane at the time) that mark had in the garage when we were trying to get it to start.

That's all I have to say about it at this point. We'll know soon enough.
__________________
Dan

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now

Last edited by DPancoast; 07-16-2009 at 01:25 PM.
DPancoast is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #611
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore
 
Honduh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member #1977

 
iTrader: (0)
Jesus christ 8 hours of labor at JNZ is going to be like $1000.
Honduh is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #612
piku
Tri-State Addict
 
piku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bradentucky, FL
Member #12166

My Ride:
335i/M3

iTrader: (0)
Where did 8 hour number come from? I don't think they would charge that? Only a couple little things need done yet.
piku is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #613
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!
 
DPancoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

iTrader: (6)
Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
It won't be $1000
__________________
Dan

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #614
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore
 
Honduh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member #1977

 
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piku View Post
Where did 8 hour number come from? I don't think they would charge that? Only a couple little things need done yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPancoast View Post
There are only small issues that need to be addressed. I'd say only a full 8 hours on the car, and it will be in tip top shape. The car will be up and running strong in no time.
I'm just saying if its 8 hours of labor its going to be a lot unless they are hooking you up. Most shops charge at least 90 an hour, and performance shops are usually more.
Honduh is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #615
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!
 
DPancoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

iTrader: (6)
Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Well yeah I agree, but by a "full day" I didn't mean 8 hours. I just meant like if they work on my car only, it'll be done in one day.
__________________
Dan

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #616
Honduh
Tri-State Post Whore
 
Honduh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member #1977

 
iTrader: (0)
Yeah well good luck with it all I hope it works out.
Honduh is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #617
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!
 
DPancoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

iTrader: (6)
Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
haha thanks man, they're being very flexible with me so it helps.
__________________
Dan

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #618
fear_no_evo
Tri-State Addict
 
fear_no_evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: huntingdon vally
Member #5358

My Ride:
03 subaru wrx

iTrader: (0)
Good luck man I want a ride in this to see how it feels compard to my old mk1 mr2
__________________
I love my car but she's a bitch so I ride her hard and put her away wet
fear_no_evo is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #619
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore
 
russiankid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lincoln University PA
Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

iTrader: (0)
Send a message via AIM to russiankid
I want to drive it when its broken in and all.
__________________
2012' Scion tC 6-speed M/T.
russiankid is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #620
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!
 
DPancoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

iTrader: (6)
Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_no_evo View Post
Good luck man I want a ride in this to see how it feels compard to my old mk1 mr2
LOL... you got it man.... tellin ya... you'll be like "ok I want one now plz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
I want to drive it when its broken in and all.
Sure man, I'll let you take it for a spin. Could also try it at auto-x if you want maybe.
__________________
Dan

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing your car in the cold RWDTurbo149 Exterior, Interior, and Electrical 44 12-19-2010 03:57 AM
Ya its that cold! whitezenki Off-Topic 15 02-05-2007 09:33 PM
DIY Cold Air Erbe Engine Performance 6 03-22-2005 09:30 PM
my 12.4 on a cold day evilution Gallery 13 02-01-2005 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.