TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Upcoming Events
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Speednby
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #1042

Send a message via AIM to Speednby
New Jersey Motorsports Park Needs YOU!

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you all know that with the opening of NJMP, and the fact that the SCCA will conduct 4 racing events on the 2 new circuits there in 2008, the South Jersey Region SCCA needs your help now more than ever. We need interested people that are willing to be officials and spend some time at the track enjoying the camaraderie and excitement of wheel to wheel racing.

In addition to the call for all specialties, we are particularly in need of corner workers. Those interested in becoming corner marshals will have the added benefit of being able to work all professional events, as well as private club days. So the chances to enjoy your passion will be numerous. Just check out the busy 2008 NJMP schedule at www.njmotorsportspark.com.

But flagging may not be your thing. So, if you find computers easy and second nature then you might want to dabble in registration, or timing & scoring. If you are a professional or volunteer Fireman, or an EMT, perhaps you would be interested in emergency services. If you like turning wrenches, tech and scrutineering might be for you. If you like to be right in the middle of the action, you can’t get any closer than working on grid or in the pits.

These are exciting times in the South Jersey and the surrounding regions for the motorsports enthusiast. And you can be a part of it. If interested please contact me via PM on this forum. Training sessions for specialties are being planned and will be put into effect in the Spring of 2008.
Speednby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
PaleDSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #274

Can you volunteer on an event to event basis? I ask because I am far enough away that I couldn't lock it down for every event but I would like the to experience the work involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

2000 MR2 Spyder (Yellow)
2013 Hyundai Elantra
PaleDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
BillFromTR
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1259

Im down. Lemme know if you need me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

BillFromTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Speednby

Member #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleDSM View Post
Can you volunteer on an event to event basis? I ask because I am far enough away that I couldn't lock it down for every event but I would like the to experience the work involved.

Absolutely! You can volunteer to work as much or as little as you want. Most club racing events are held over a 2 - 3 day weekend. Some people work all 3 days, some work 2, some work just one of the days. We are grateful for any and all help!

I sent you a PM with more info.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Speednby

Member #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromTR View Post
Im down. Lemme know if you need me!

Cool! Thanks for volunteering! I sent you a PM with more info.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
240sr20
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2147

how about a full time job? i live 10 mins from the track. if yur talking about the new thunderbolt raceway that is
240sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
speedooo
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5495

My Ride:
ketchup's mom

Send a message via AIM to speedooo
where exactly is the track?
speedooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
PaleDSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedooo View Post
where exactly is the track?
Millville NJ.

2000 MR2 Spyder (Yellow)
2013 Hyundai Elantra
PaleDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Speednby

Member #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sr20 View Post
how about a full time job? i live 10 mins from the track. if yur talking about the new thunderbolt raceway that is
Sorry, but I can't help you there. I am not an employee or a representitive of the New Jersey Motorsports Park ( "the track" ). I represent the South Jersey Region of the Sports Car Club of America. We will be holding 4 racing events at the park in 2008, and we need volunteers to work the track on those dates.

However, if you look at the 2008 schedule, you will see that there is something going on at the park (note there will be two tracks) almost every day from June through November. I'm sure the park will be looking for some full time workers to help cover all of the events. The best thing to do would be to go to the NJMP website (see link in my original post above), go to the contacts page, and send an email indicating your desire to work there.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Speednby

Member #1042

Hello Folks,

South Jersey Region & Northern New Jersey Region SCCA, along with lots of help from Washington DC Region, will be holding a symposium for all workers, potential workers & drivers to introduce all to the track and to begin training new workers. Below is a copy of the invite from SJR Race Planning Committee Chairman David Teal:

Quote:
What: Worker Symposium

When: March 29, 2008 at 11 AM

Where: New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, NJ

Who: All Workers, Drivers and potential workers

Why: For new members: an introduction to SCCA
For all: an introduction to a brand new race track in the North East Division

Presented by the South Jersey and Northern New Jersey Regions with lots of help from the Washington DC Region

Our plan is to have an introduction to the Lightning race course at New Jersey Motorsports Park for all who would like to have a look at this course before we go racing, There has been a lot of construction going on since the middle of last year including the first layer of asphalt on this course. Two buildings have been erected at this site and although they are not yet completed are on schedule to be completed by the opening of Lightning in July of this year.

For new members and potential new workers we will have a brief introduction to SCCA and then, for whoever is interested in any of the worker specialties, we will provide break out groups with experienced members for more questions and answers.

The main thrust of the day, however, will be the track visit. Track officials have graciously allowed SJR/NNJR members and their quests to visit and walk the track grounds. (Weather permitting)

We also hope you will become familiar with the town of Millville. There are many places to eat and several motels in the area. And along with Wheaton Village and the Millville Army Air Field Museum many places to see and visit.

To get directions please use this web site: http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/directions.html
You can use Google maps or just enter your starting point and Mapquest will do the rest.

We hope to see as many of you who can make it on Saturday, March 29th

Please RSVP to: J.D. King @ john@dominiontitleservices.com
David Teal @ lcms2@comcast.net

Be sure to check out our web site www.njrrs.com for additional information and in the case of inclement weather for another gathering place.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Speednby

Member #1042

Hello All,

I just wanted to send you all an update concerning the Worker Symposium being held this Saturday at the NJMP. There is some information floating about out there that might lead one to believe this event has been cancelled. First let me say, it has not been cancelled. Just scaled down a bit.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you want to look at it), we had a tremendous response to the invite that was sent out (the same invite that I included in my last post above) from drivers and other non-worker type folks who wanted to take advantage of an opportunity to check out the partially paved Lightning Circuit, and the surrounding facilities. We were actually expecting between 100 and 150 people. However, with the recent bad weather, construction at the site has been going full tilt through the weekends when weather allows in order to keep everything on schedule. Due to liability reasons, NJMP officials expressed to us concerns about having a large number of people on the site while so much construction activity is taking place. We were worried about the possibility that folks may travel a long distance just to get a look at the track and its facilities, only to find limited access to the site. So rather than risking the chance of disappointing a lot of people, we decided to scale this event down to its originally planned task, a worker symposium / orientation. NJMP has offered to have an official SCCA welcome for all to come and see at a later date (perhaps in June). More information on that will come as it develops.

That said, I want to repeat, the worker symposium will be held. But not at the track as originally planned. It will be held at the Millville Airport, which is adjacent to the NJMP grounds. We are still encouraging track workers, especially new volunteers to attend. If we get the opportunity, and if attendance is at an acceptable level to NJMP officials, we will try to get the attendees on the site at some point during the day. Below is a link for a Google map to Thunderbolt Drive at the airport. Turn down Thunderbolt Dr. and go a couple hundred feet and look for Hangar #1.

I hope to see a lot all of you there!

Site Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.014462&z=16
Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Speednby

Member #1042

Hello All,

The Lightning Course at New Jersey Motorsports Park is nearing completion, and soon the sound of roaring engines and the smell of burning race fuel will fill the South Jersey air! Last weekend I had the opportunity to walk the entire Lightning Circuit, and I must say I was quite impressed. This is gonna be one fast 1.9 mile race track! And just think, our July inaugural race is only weeks away!

Which leads me to WORKERS!! And the training of those workers. On Saturday, June 21st at 1:00PM, we will be holding a training session in Millville, NJ for the following worker specialties:

-Registration

-Timing & Scoring

-Flagging & Communications

-Emergency Services

-Pit

-Grid

This will be our last training session before our first race on the July 19th – 20th weekend, and I strongly encourage any of you without experience to come out and spend the afternoon with us. If you can’t make this session, then I highly recommend you volunteer to work the MARRS 3 event at Summit Point during the June 28th – 29th weekend. You can register to work that event here:

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/ClubRacing/...9/Default.aspx

Just scroll down to the 6/28/08 MARRS 3 event, and click on the “Worker Register” link on the right side of the page.

The training session will be held at the old Wheaton Glass office building located at 1101 Wheaton Ave. in Millville. To get there, follow Rt. 55 to exit 26. If you are heading south on 55, you want to turn right at the end of the ramp. If you are heading north on 55, you want to turn left at the end of the ramp. This will put you on Wheaton Ave. heading into Millville. Go exactly one mile, and you will see a driveway on your left with a small white sign that says 1101 Wheaton Ave. Turn left into the driveway, then bear right into the parking lot in front of the building that is facing Wheaton Ave. You will see an entrance in the center of that side of the building. The building was recently bought by my employer and is undergoing renovations so there really isn't any signage out front to use a landmark. This is also a secure building, and someone will have to be at the door to let you in. I will try to have someone posted at the door at all times, but if you have trouble finding the building or getting in, you can contact me by cell phone @ 856-906-3116.

Please RSVP by PM here, or by email at mrallenbaugh@comcast.net if you are planning to come.

Thanks again to all, and as always, please feel free to contact me if you need more information. I look forward to seeing a lot of you on June 21st!

Michael Allenbaugh
SJR SCCA Worker Liaison
Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
Speednby

Member #1042

Hello All,

I just wanted to copy everyone with the following message from the Lightning Challenge Race Chairperson, JD King. As you can see, registration is open for the inaugural Lighting Challenge to be contested on the Lightning course at the New Jersey Motorsports Park the weekend of July 19 – 20. The race is less than three weeks away, and I hope you all are as excited as I am!

I want to encourage all of you to get involved by coming out and helping us put on a great inaugural weekend. I would especially like to encourage those who might be thinking “I don’t know… I don’t have any experience, I didn’t get any training, I would just be in the way.” Those thoughts couldn’t be farther form the truth. We welcome newcomers with open arms. And we are prepared to give you the necessary training you need to be involved in the action.

I also want to touch on another subject. There have been some questions about needing an SCCA membership in order to work a club race. The short answer is, yes, you must be a club member in order to work a race. But you don’t need to be a full member. Weekend memberships are available for $15.00. However, there is a program for the new club racing volunteer that gives you your first weekend membership FREE !! Annual dues are then at a reduced rate of $30 for each of your first three years. This covers both your national and your regional dues. To receive the reduced fee the second and third year, the volunteer is required to have participated in at least four days in the last year. Existing members with less than three years of membership can take advantage of this program.

For the established club racing volunteer, there is a program that provides membership dues and recognition based upon participation days:

Four days $15 membership discount
Six days $22 membership discount
Eight days $30 membership discount
Twelve or more $30 discount, recognition in SportsCar magazine, and a special ID card.

So, read the below email, get online, and VOLUNTEER! I am looking forward to seeing you all AT THE RACES!

Best Regards,
Mike Allenbaugh
SJR SCCA Worker Liaison

Quote:
A message from the South Jersey Region of the SCCA and the New Jersey Road Racing Series.

As most of you know the Lightning track at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville will be opening and the SCCA's first event will be July 19-20, 2008. If you have questions please contact either Michael Allenbaugh or J.D. King.

Registration open for South Jersey Region Lightning Challenge at NJMP on July 19 & 20

Check www.DLBRacing.com? or click below...

Driver Register
Worker Register

Driver List
Worker List

Visit the New Jersey Motorsports Park website

Some key areas of interest are:

Rules and Forms
2008 NJMP Facility Rules
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations - Chapter 62
2008 Personal Paddock Vehicle Registration Form
SCCA July Test Day Entry Form
2008 Vendor Policies