TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:
2009 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Send a message via AIM to DreWRX
09 STI - Info/Input/Help PLEASE!!!

I'm thinking of selling my bugeye and getting an 09 STI.
I would just like to start a discussion to get input from everyone about the car. And by everyone I mean those who have 08's and know about the changes being made to the 09's, and those who know about Subaru and the 09 STI in general. I don't care to hear from people who think it sucks and wanna rag on it, please just keep it to yourself. I would like to know the Pros and Cons, Likes and Dislikes, ect. I am planing on keeping it stock until warranty is up, possibly only adding on SPT mods because they don't void the warranty. I was @ the dealer on Monday and test drove an 08, and I loved it. After going over the paper work it came to around $40k without navigation and $42 with navigation, and the guy said the 09 would most likely be the same price. So with it being a decently expensive car, and me being 22, I want to make sure that I have all the possible information that I can get about the car, so that I can make the right decision, since I'm going to be paying it off for the next few years. Any input/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
-Drew-

Bugeye Mafia for life!
DreWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
CarbonIS
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #301

Send a message via AIM to CarbonIS
what are the differences between the 08 and the 09?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
I hear ya, but as the saying goes,"You can live in your car, but you can't [dyno] your house."
Quote:
Women suck balls on occasion, right?
I never had a woman suck on my back...so...
CarbonIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

There really isn't much to say about it if you say you want to keep it stock. Its an STi with a different body and twin scroll I believe. Just go drive one and see if you like it, thats the most important thing period. If everyone says it sucks and you go drive it and you love it or vice versa, it really doesn't matter what people say.
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
A guy I work with has an 08, it's a very nice car. I like it a lot.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonIS View Post
what are the differences between the 08 and the 09?
The guy at the dealership said that a lot of fanatics of the STI complained about a few things and that they are going to tweak/change some stuff. He mentioned that they are going to change the gear ratios, and adjust the suspension. He said there was more stuff, but thats all he knew of at the moment.

Bugeye Mafia for life!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
For the record, SPT parts can and will void your warranty if something breaks. Adding performance mods gives regard to intent to abuse. Its small print. if you are going to buy the car and worry for warranty... dont mod, or you can do like the rest of us and void void void!!! lol
Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
For the record, SPT parts can and will void your warranty if something breaks. Adding performance mods gives regard to intent to abuse. Its small print. if you are going to buy the car and worry for warranty... dont mod, or you can do like the rest of us and void void void!!! lol
I think that goes by dealership because the 3 local ones by me that I have been to all have told me that SPT is covered under warranty, but I could be wrong and thats why I made this thread.

Bugeye Mafia for life!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
PoorMan'sR
Tri-State Addict

Member #7225

My Ride:
2005 Subaru WRX

from what i've heard there isn't going to be any real differences between the 08 and 09, subaru was mainly just going to change the wrx's power output cause of how many people complained about them, IMHO get a used 06,07 sti from the dealer with real low miles, you get the warranty, and the same great car for about 10-15k less

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate1229
"I'm sorry what's that? your car's newer? I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am"
PoorMan'sR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan'sR View Post
from what i've heard there isn't going to be any real differences between the 08 and 09, subaru was mainly just going to change the wrx's power output cause of how many people complained about them, IMHO get a used 06,07 sti from the dealer with real low miles, you get the warranty, and the same great car for about 10-15k less
A big reason why I want to get an 09 is because of the new body, the new interior, the new styling, ect..., not just because it's an sti. If I wanted any STI, I would just do a swap to my bugeye.

Bugeye Mafia for life!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
PoorMan'sR
Tri-State Addict

Member #7225

My Ride:
2005 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreWRX View Post
A big reason why I want to get an 09 is because of the new body, the new interior, the new styling, ect..., not just because it's an sti. If I wanted any STI, I would just do a swap to my bugeye.
yea your right, i am also a fan of the new body style...have you looked around nasioc or anything? cause they might have some info on the 09 sti, but if its not much of a difference just go with the 08 and get it cheaper....or you could wait till the end of next year to see about the 2010 model, im sure that will be redisgned haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate1229
"I'm sorry what's that? your car's newer? I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am"
PoorMan'sR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
doug
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #450

My Ride:
2007 WRX STi Limited, 1969 Z/28 Camaro

My dealership had 0 problems with my turbo back and tune..

It depends on the dealer and what warranty claim it is.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #12
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan'sR View Post
yea your right, i am also a fan of the new body style...have you looked around nasioc or anything? cause they might have some info on the 09 sti, but if its not much of a difference just go with the 08 and get it cheaper....or you could wait till the end of next year to see about the 2010 model, im sure that will be redisgned haha
I haven't looked on Nasioc yet, but when I get some free time I'm definitely gonna search through there forums. The problem with getting an 08, by me at least, is that there pretty much all sold out and there not getting anymore in because there waiting on the 09's. The one I test drove, which was the only one around, was silver and I wasn't happy with that color, I have my mind set on Aspen White. So since I still have to sell my car, I have decided that I'm just going to wait for the 09, especially since there going to fix whatever it is the complaints were about, so I figure why not just wait and get the revised version. And plus, I'm not gonna save any money by getting the 08 because there are so few left that there not dropping the price anyways.

Bugeye Mafia for life!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #13
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
My dealership had 0 problems with my turbo back and tune..

It depends on the dealer and what warranty claim it is.
I was told by the dealership I'm looking to buy mine from that as long as its SPT, then they will warranty it. They told me one of there techs has an 07 with all the SPT **** and its fully covered under warranty and hes making some pretty good numbers for just having the SPT mods on it, so thats what I'm looking to do. . .for the first few years at least.

Bugeye Mafia for life!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
Schepis
Tri-State Addict

Member #7218

My Ride:
'90 300ZX Twin Turbo

Send a message via AIM to Schepis
Why have another HUGE car payment at 22? I'm 22 myself, and a car payment is something I NEVER want again. After 3 years of paying a car off, I'm sick of it. Being able to pay for it or not; It's not worth it IMO.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Quote:
I was told by the dealership I'm looking to buy mine from that as long as its SPT, then they will warranty it. They told me one of there techs has an 07 with all the SPT **** and its fully covered under warranty and hes making some pretty good numbers for just having the SPT mods on it, so thats what I'm looking to do. . .for the first few years at least.
They arent going to flag your car as soon as it comes in for an oil change. Being that I have been in the situation before with nothing but a catback and got my warranty voided at 15k for a busted trans, they didnt void it for a specific part, they voided it because it was modded with parts intended to increase HP with intent to use it.

Modding a car doesnt void warranty, the magnuson-moss act states it. Its only when they can pull the abuse card that they void warranty. Long story short, you can drive up for an oil change with a fully built rotated straight cut subaru and keep your warranty, bring it in broke and its gone lol.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
JBWRX06
Tri-State Addict

Member #3377

My Ride:
06' Wrx Stage 2

Send a message via AIM to JBWRX06
Quote:
I think that goes by dealership because the 3 local ones by me that I have been to all have told me that SPT is covered under warranty, but I could be wrong and thats why I made this thread.
all SPT parts are covered under warranty. They give you a sticker to put near the part so they know it is covered. I put spt intake on my 06 wrx and it came with a sticker saying covered under warranty cause its a spt part
Old 08-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schepis View Post
Why have another HUGE car payment at 22? I'm 22 myself, and a car payment is something I NEVER want again. After 3 years of paying a car off, I'm sick of it. Being able to pay for it or not; It's not worth it IMO.
Well first off I have never had a car payment because I bought my WRX outright, but to be honest with you right now in my life I would rather have a monthly car payment that I know I can afford, versus starting a project that I know wont be finished for years and will leave me without a reliable car and horribly frustrated and unhappy until the project is finished.

Bugeye Mafia for life!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
DreWRX
Tri-State Addict

Member #3670

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
They arent going to flag your car as soon as it comes in for an oil change. Being that I have been in the situation before with nothing but a catback and got my warranty voided at 15k for a busted trans, they didnt void it for a specific part, they voided it because it was modded with parts intended to increase HP with intent to use it.

Modding a car doesnt void warranty, the magnuson-moss act states it. Its only when they can pull the abuse card that they void warranty. Long story short, you can drive up for an oil change with a fully built rotated straight cut subaru and keep your warranty, bring it in broke and its gone lol.
I completely understand what you are saying, that is just something that I am going to have to talk to the manager of the dealership about before I make any final decisions about putting anything after market including SPT, on the car.

Bugeye Mafia for life!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #19
WRXD
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1156

My Ride:
2013 Ford Focus ST

Quote:
I am planing on keeping it stock until warranty is up, possibly only adding on SPT mods because they don't void the warranty.
most famous last words ever-- if I had a nickel for every time I heard that. You know you are going to get in that car and want to mod the crap out of it 6 mos later. There is no way that anyone on this forum buys a WRX or STi and keeps it mostly stock. You are setting yourself up for a huge car payment and insurance payment and a possibly crippling modification addiction on top of all that.

I would never suggest that someone your age get a car that expensive unless you are seriously rolling in cash, and you may be I don't know. However, if money is at all an object I would reccomend against it. Take it from someone who was 23 and bought a brand new WRX and then ran up the CC bills modifying it.

Last edited by WRXD; 08-28-2008 at 05:39 PM.
WRXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #20
06njsti
Tri-State Addict

Member #5392

My Ride:
06 LSB STI awdm'd

it can be done, i just turned 19 and im driving around in an 06 sti with coilovers,some new advans and some parts sitting in my closet that are going on next month when i get a dd. Ive got so much of MY money tied up into my car but its better then going out and spending $100 a weekend on alcohol or drugs like some people i know.
06 WRX STi -Weekend Street Monster-
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 4.7l -Sold-
06njsti is offline   Reply With Quote