TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 Rs

Send a message via AIM to Supraru
Rip 3rd gear, it was nice knowing you. Info needed

Well last night it had a nice graceful exit to this planet. It's been making noise for a little now and I've been skipping it but yesterday I put it in just so my 4th wouldn't bog at the speed I was moving and it stripped right off. Lucky for my friends garage was two min away. So now this is what my budget for this will allow.

Legacy gt 1-4th. I'm picking up an 02 wrx trans for crazy cheap with a blown second. On sites they have 1-4th lgt kits for the 02 wrx which includes all the upgraded parts like synchro's and all that. My problem is what I'm reading right now people keep talking about 4.44 gears with it and having to change the rear and center diff to match. Granted I read this on nasioc and it's always hard to tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. But my concern is I would like to keep the 3.90 final drive. Am I able to swap in the 1-4th lgt gears all that stuff and keep my final drive? I thought it was the pinion and ring that made up the final drive so if this was true wouldn't I be able to press on my gears onto the shafts and run my 3.90 pinion and ring and be ok?

Sorry for the rambling but I've been reading so much info on this all day. So any easy answer i may have read at some point may have gotten confused from something else I read following that. lol. I'm sure you've all been there.

I've just heard these gears are just about comparable to ra gears so it would be a nice little upgrade instead of doing the same build with the stock wrx gears which are weaker.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
dangerousatom
[TST] Calendar Master

Member #625

My Ride:
02-04 RS-STi @391whp 02-WRX Wagon @310whp ≈≈≈ Both modded to the hilt w/PPG trans

Send a message via AIM to dangerousatom
You have a 99 2.5rs? then its 4:11 not 3:90 unless you have a newer 02-05 WRX trans then its 3:90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

02 WRX Wagon Beater-10/01/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dangerousatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousatom View Post
You have a 99 2.5rs? then its 4:11 not 3:90 unless you have a newer 02-05 WRX trans then its 3:90
Yeah it was a full swap so it's 3.90. I found what to do. I can run those gears as long as I still run the pinion and ring. Now hopefully there is a set somewhere. Once I get these this will be the first time I'll feel a little more confident in the trans. Maybe I'll take it to the track once. lol
Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
yeah its the front ring and pinion that make the determination. Center diff is universal and not ratio dependent. It is however picky on years.

honestly LGT gear sets are still just as week.. people think otherwise because the LGT ratio is 4.11 which is a little easier on the gears ;)

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
yeah its the front ring and pinion that make the determination. Center diff is universal and not ratio dependent. It is however picky on years.

honestly LGT gear sets are still just as week.. people think otherwise because the LGT ratio is 4.11 which is a little easier on the gears ;)
Supposedly they are a little beefier. Either way I want to have fresh everything in there. Really should last me a life time since I don't really beat my car all that much. It would be nice to have 4.11's again but not trying to pick up a ring and pinion and a 4.11 rear right now. Maybe in the future.

You had 4.11's in yours didn't you? First was basically pointless wasn't it?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
still have 4.11's ;)

and yes 1st and 2nd are worthless but the get up and scoot factor is awesome.

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
still have 4.11's ;)

and yes 1st and 2nd are worthless but the get up and scoot factor is awesome.
God damn tst is slow tonight. You have any video's of a first an second pull in that thing?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:

Sent Andrew Tech an e-mail trying to get a parts list for what's involved with what I need for the gears and the upgrade. Just curious as to what they charges for the parts since I get a discount. That unfortunately doesn't mean I can't get it cheaper somewhere else. Sent them a pretty detailed message and all I get out is send us your trans and we'll do it for $2400. Wasn't really the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
Sent Andrew Tech an e-mail trying to get a parts list for what's involved with what I need for the gears and the upgrade. Just curious as to what they charges for the parts since I get a discount. That unfortunately doesn't mean I can't get it cheaper somewhere else. Sent them a pretty detailed message and all I get out is send us your trans and we'll do it for $2400. Wasn't really the answer I was looking for. Thanks for the help.
Is that with leggy gears or PPGs???
If you're buying the leggy gearset & required parts with it (syncros etc) I think they are hitting you a little hard.
When I went PPG they quoted me a similar parts & labor price to do the leegy swap. 05 leggy gears ARE just a bit tougher and the synchros are upgraded.
Are you sure that quote wasn't for parts & labor?
Either way, good luck. A blown trans, BITES!
Hope you get it rolling again soon.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie_sleeper View Post
Is that with leggy gears or PPGs???
If you're buying the leggy gearset & required parts with it (syncros etc) I think they are hitting you a little hard.
When I went PPG they quoted me a similar parts & labor price to do the leegy swap. 05 leggy gears ARE just a bit tougher and the synchros are upgraded.
Are you sure that quote wasn't for parts & labor?
Either way, good luck. A blown trans, BITES!
Hope you get it rolling again soon.
That's with parts and labor I believe but is on the lgt gears. I've seen the kits on some other sites for 1k with the upgrades obviously to the 02 trans. From this other place I've emailed that doesn't include syncros or bearings though. If I can get it through work I at least won't have to front the money right now which would be nice. Might as well just go to the guys and tell them to get me a price on everything in the trans minus the pinion and ring.

If the price is decent and the parts are available I could have the parts as early as Wednesday if they are in Jersey. Looks like I'll be staying late on top of having to do my dads and my two sisters inspections. lol. Why couldn't it have waited till I dropped in the engine!

Last edited by Supraru; 05-03-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:

Just pulled up all the parts at work today picked out what I need. For $1200 I'm getting 1-4 updated 1 and 4 syncros that the 04 trans had and obviously I'm doing 2,3, and 5. Also includes all bearings that I should do while in there and other little items. Another place I was talking to was selling just 1-4 gears with main shaft with the updated 1 and 4 syncros. That's it. Total there was $1038. This was at Flatirons Tuning. Dude was totally helpful. I kinda feel bad I'm not buying from him since he helped me out so much but for slightly more money I'm going to have a complete fresh trans.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
dangerousatom
[TST] Calendar Master

Member #625

My Ride:
02-04 RS-STi @391whp 02-WRX Wagon @310whp ≈≈≈ Both modded to the hilt w/PPG trans

Send a message via AIM to dangerousatom
send the stuff to Rallispec to get micro honed its cheep and worth it...5 gears and a output shaft cost me $250

02 WRX Wagon Beater-10/01/11
dangerousatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Porosallstar
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16157

My Ride:
2002 WRX

Send a message via AIM to Porosallstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousatom View Post
send the stuff to Rallispec to get micro honed its cheep and worth it...5 gears and a output shaft cost me $250
agreed +1
Porosallstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
Supraru
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1745

My Ride:

Well went to put the gears in the case and I was having rubbing issues. My friend while trying to get at least my spare trans built so I had something to drive again noticed the wrx washer (I think on the main shaft) was thinner then the legacy gt washer. So looks like I'm gonna have to order that and my clearance problem will be gone. Also I only had reverse once the case was back together. I'm hoping that little bit it was off fixes that too. The pinion side shifts totally fine out of the case and the shifting with the pinion out on the trans shifted fine.

The worst part about it was the lack of time we had towards the end of the day. We only had two hours once we realized we should just take our time to figure out what's up with the lgt trans and just swap that in with my sti engine when it's ready to go in. We tried hustling to get it done and realized the 3-4 on the 02 wrx was different then on the 03 trans. On the 03 there is a little more of a built in spacer into the 3-4 gear. Could have had the case back together if I didn't leave my 3-4 gear set for the 03-04 wrx at home. Never thought I was going to be fixing my back up trans so never thought of grabbing it. Now the car sits at work. I'll be going in at 4 am on monday to at least get things together and hopefully the top half of the box together. Then gotta clean my disaster area of a bay up and push my car out.

First time I had to tow a car. Situation sucked but it was kinda fun. At least my car wasn't sitting in the city in my buddies garage anymore. I missed it.