TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Mazda Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
fc3spower
Tri-State Addict

Member #7765

My Ride:
93 Honda Del Sol

Send a message via AIM to fc3spower
msp and rx8 owners! need your help

Ok so I've owned plenty of cars but found myself stuck on the late 80's rx7 having a few of them but I wanna get a new car and I love mazdas.. My dilemma is what car.. I like the msp but I also love the look of the rx8, plus its a rotary so I'm right at home.. But I'm asking for your hp giving me feedback so I can hopefully make a better decision and investment.. Thanks
fc3spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
BlueMSProtege
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14477

My Ride:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

I have an 03.5 MSP and I love it, so far I have had to replace radiator (fault of previous owner) and the wastegate actuator, I have added a modified short ram intake, modified aftermarket hotpipe, and an upgraded aftermarket bypass valve. I have had to replace the stock headunit and the sway bar bushings. That is all I have replaced at this point. I love driving it, and have learned alot about cars owning it (take that however you want to(its good and bad))

Pros of the msp: great looking car, not a gas guzzler like RX-8, (I get about 400 miles to the tank doing highway and city driving; about 330 city driving only), everyone does not have one, pretty good aftermarket support (except from mazda), can be driven daily, can be driven in snow, fun car, good potential for power if you have the money, nice colors, comfortable interior

Cons of the msp: weak internals, weak welds on lsd, expensive factory replacement parts (most of us replace with aftermarket when possible), if you have the 03.5 you cant get the wing, or front, side, or rear lip from mazda anymore (have to be lucky to find it private seller) lower hp than you would expect, have to replace headunit, finicky car, weak stock side mount intercooler, requires premium gas, swaybar bushings constantly dry out and cannot be regreased, motor mounts wear out frequently
BlueMSProtege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
fc3spower
Tri-State Addict

Member #7765

My Ride:
93 Honda Del Sol

Thanks. I've honestly always been in love with the msp but I could never afford it.. Especially insurance..lol. But things finally got better and I've owned mazdas for years now so I wanna stay with mazda. I appreciate your honesty man.. I wish someone would give me some feedback on the rx8.. I'm into the rx cuz I've owned so many 7 so I'm real handy with the rotary engine now. But still can't get over the msp.. I love them in spicy orange.. Haha.. Anyway come on rx8 guys.. Feedback please..
Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
disstractin_FC
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6820

My Ride:
1987 Rx7

Buy a 3rd gen
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
SpEcRv9
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6190

My Ride:
korean supra.

Send a message via AIM to SpEcRv9
you should PM flaps720..he has owned both he could give you a good comparison of the 2
Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
03MSP
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14857

My Ride:
03 Mazdaspeed Protege

i love my msp besides the oil issue that im having right now
03MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
fc3spower
Tri-State Addict

Member #7765

My Ride:
93 Honda Del Sol

Lol call me crazy but I don't really want a 3rd Gen.. And I don't plan on getting a new car to like build it up.. Just a few things here and there.. Still got 2 rx7's to sink my money into lol..
Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
SvicksTc
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7395

My Ride:
Nike 6.0

Love my rx8 but lacks tq and power don't get me wrong it starts moving just not until 4k rpm, I love that high redline though the gt suspension an interior package is top notch also it sucks down gas like it's Job is another draw back it handles extremely extremely well and can hold it's own on a circut course

all the options the car comes with are nice

hids
LSD
navi
Bose
6spd
nice comfy leather seats heats of course
etc etc

I love the ride and feel of he rx8 it's like nothing I've ever driven

Alot of ppl daily theirs however I don't with north east weather and like to keep my miles low on the motor

just have to drive both and do yoour research then you will know

sorry I'm on my iPhone if you want more info pm me later
|Nikon|
Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by SvicksTc; 04-23-2010 at 12:05 AM.
SvicksTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
fc3spower
Tri-State Addict

Member #7765

My Ride:
93 Honda Del Sol

Ah yeah. Well that helps a little.. And yeah I want something to daily.. But has some pep.. Gas isn't an issue really.. My rx7 swallows gas and I dailied that for like 2 years haha just trying to find the overall better choice ya know?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
BlueMSProtege
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14477

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc3spower View Post
Thanks. I've honestly always been in love with the msp but I could never afford it.. Especially insurance..lol. But things finally got better and I've owned mazdas for years now so I wanna stay with mazda. I appreciate your honesty man.. I wish someone would give me some feedback on the rx8.. I'm into the rx cuz I've owned so many 7 so I'm real handy with the rotary engine now. But still can't get over the msp.. I love them in spicy orange.. Haha.. Anyway come on rx8 guys.. Feedback please..
Insurance should not be bad, who do you have? I told my insurance company the car had a turbo and everything but the vin number is listed simply as a four door sedan and that is what my insurance company lists the msp as
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
fc3spower
Tri-State Addict

Member #7765

My Ride:
93 Honda Del Sol

Well I had state farm and for my 88 rx7 and my 91 galant they beat me for 179.48 a month.. liability!! Just switched to Allstate and I'm paying 54.45 a month for the same and I just got a quote for the rx8 for 104 a month.. On statefarm it was gonna be like 400..just shy of it.. So now the cars I want are in reach lol.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
l337fpc
Tri-State Addict

Member #9093

My Ride:
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT

Send a message via AIM to l337fpc
Well, I have a high milage rx8 with a handful of mods. I love it. Yes lacks torque...as NA...turbo or SC...now your talking. As far as driving, I can't speak for the MSP, but the rx8 slices turns. The OE suspension is top notch; the only reason I upgraded was because they were aging.

As you know, it drinks oil and showers in gas. The MSP is way better on gas...but you only live once.

Best of luck, being torn between cars is the worst.
l337fpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #13
fitftw
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #15351

My Ride:
96 Miata 2,040lbs full tank, hardtop, half-cage

I'm gonna have to ask... why a Miata isn't part of your decision? Way cheaper than an RX8. More fun than a Protege. Lighter than both. Just saying I don't understand why you're ruling it out completely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

fitftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
BlueMSProtege
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14477

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337fpc View Post
Well, I have a high milage rx8 with a handful of mods. I love it. Yes lacks torque...as NA...turbo or SC...now your talking. As far as driving, I can't speak for the MSP, but the rx8 slices turns. The OE suspension is top notch; the only reason I upgraded was because they were aging.

As you know, it drinks oil and showers in gas. The MSP is way better on gas...but you only live once.

Best of luck, being torn between cars is the worst.
I forgot to mention driving, the stock suspension of the msp is top notch as well, the handling is great, body roll is nonexistent and twisties are a blast. Sorry that this probably makes your decision harder now since both cars handle extremely well
Old 04-24-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
BlueMSProtege
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14477

My Ride:

I finish my semester may 8th, maybe one day we could meet up and I could give you a sample of driving the msp, maybe the rx-8 owner could join us so you could do a test of both?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #16
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:
Drives on the wrong side ;) Bye RSX w/pink wheels....RIP-2003 Mazda 6S

If you like 4 door cars, the 6 is a blast to drive, and if you want more power you can get the speed6, but be prepared to be in the shop a decent amount of time, its AWD but mazda ****ed up somewhere cuz the speeds blow up alot, the regular 6 is just awsome
i love how all you guys actually care about the opinion of a girl when it comes to your car. if the bitch is complaining about it, rev it up and shift hard, throw her back in her seat. if she persists, just drive faster till shes scared. she'll respect it once shes afraid of it
Quote:
Driving a nice honda around is like parading a hot chick in a prison yard.
Maxxdsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #17
fc3spower
Tri-State Addict

Member #7765

My Ride:
93 Honda Del Sol

well as for the miata.. They are cool little cars but I already have 2 2 seaters don't want another..the 6, I actually don't really like them all that much. I work in a body shop and I've worked on 2 recently and I just didn't like them that much. I feel like its better for me to be torn between 2 cars as opposed to 4 lol that was atleast I can do a better comparison of them and the drives would be sweet man definitely let me know.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:
Drives on the wrong side ;) Bye RSX w/pink wheels....RIP-2003 Mazda 6S

then i say go for the rx-8 because their sexy
i love how all you guys actually care about the opinion of a girl when it comes to your car. if the bitch is complaining about it, rev it up and shift hard, throw her back in her seat. if she persists, just drive faster till shes scared. she'll respect it once shes afraid of it
Quote:
Driving a nice honda around is like parading a hot chick in a prison yard.
Maxxdsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
fc3spower
Tri-State Addict

Member #7765

My Ride:
93 Honda Del Sol

thats true, but id like to weigh out a bunch of other things before i make a purchase that i may regret ya know? it really sucks haha
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
disturbedfan121
Tri-State Addict

Member #3604

My Ride:
2010 GG EVO X

I just picked up an MSP for a dialy, and love it, its roomy, 4drs, mine isn't runnig right and still getting 26-28mpg. once i fix it im sure i'd get like 28-maybe 32 on highway. great for a dd, stock, it handles great tokico struts, racing beat springs, racing beat front and rear sway bars.. and now they're getting cheap, if you look on CL there are a bunch for like 4-8k in good shape with relatively low miles.

if you need a DD Msp is way to go.rx8's are cool but lack of storage sucks...i know, i have the miata still lol.

EDITL also in winter fwd is easier to deal with

'03 MSP-7psi - SOLD.......'93 Sc300 5spd - SOLD
'98 BMW Z3 - SOLD.......'92 miata turbo -Traded
'10 Evo X- Traded in for .....'14 Jetta TDI 6spd man.......
'99 miata NB shell Project....'96 Impreza w/v.1 STi swap
disturbedfan121 is offline   Reply With Quote