TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Road Racing
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

Road Racing - Up close

So I finally made to my second event at Pocono working F&C (Flagging and Communication). For any of you who have only know Pocono Raceway as the NASCAR superspeedway, there is an infield section for road courses. The weekend was an SCCA double national weekend. This meant that every class ran one race on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Course Map

I worked FS2 (flag station 2) on Saturday. From this station we could see the cars up until the tunnel turn. There was quite a bit of action as the cars ran off driver's left down the grass and gravel in front of us. We would then have to be yellow until they re-entered the track. The cars tend to bring some of the gravel with them on to the track. This would require the display of the debris flag for a lap or so (and sweeping of gravel after the race). We also had one car dump oil (the car lost a valve cover as a result of contact) across the corner entry after FS1 and before the little straight and pull up to us on the dirver's right. This required drying the oil before the next session. Later we were left a bumper cover liner from a Mazda on one lap, and the bumper cover the next time by.

Sunday I found myself at FS4. From here you could see more of the track, but you can only face one direction at a time, so when working the blue flag, I could see the cars come up the rise to FS2 though FS4, and working the yellow flag from FS4 to FS6. We had one car slow on the straight between FS3 and FS4 and pull in behind our station. I didn't get to see him coming until he was just about on top of us as I was looking at the cars behind us. I found working the blue flag here took some getting used to as the angle of view made it hard to tell how fast the overtaking car was closing. unfortunately we had to black flag one car for a penalty. However we were left a cone from the chicane that was picked up by one of the race cars.

All in all it was fun. I shouldn't wait so long before I go back and flag a race.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
htheduck
Tri-State Addict

Member #583

Send a message via AIM to htheduck Send a message via Yahoo to htheduck
Cool man. I was at a Tri-Region SCCA event in June and one of the coordinators was talking to me about tech and working this event for August. It's too bad I missed it--I should'a followed up.

I liked driving that clockwise course configuration a lot. I think I'd like the all the heavy braking activity at FS1-if I were working.
-H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

94 Integra LS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
htheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #3
PaleDSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #274

I have been interested in volunteering for a PDA event at Pocono for a few years now but I have never gone through and done it. I always thought it looked like it might be fun and now it sounds like it is.

2000 MR2 Spyder (Yellow)
2013 Hyundai Elantra
PaleDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheduck
Cool man. I was at a Tri-Region SCCA event in June and one of the coordinators was talking to me about tech and working this event for August. It's too bad I missed it--I should'a followed up.

I liked driving that clockwise course configuration a lot. I think I'd like the all the heavy braking activity at FS1-if I were working.
-H
The June event was fun, I was there (I hurt my car on Sat). I still had a good time though. FS-1 could be fun too. I imagine there is a bit of overtaking coming down the straight into turn 1. Then of course there is all the off-roading that was going on before FS-2. I imagine that the only bad spot would have been FS-8 where they had to continually reset the cones. They seemed to have had to work hard all weekend.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleDSM
I have been interested in volunteering for a PDA event at Pocono for a few years now but I have never gone through and done it. I always thought it looked like it might be fun and now it sounds like it is.
Yes, the weekends are a blast. You should try it out. I worked one day in June at the SCCA track day there (ran my car the other), and racing weekends are much better. There is an F&C school done at Summit Point in the spring each year. It is held by the DC region SCCA in conjunction with the driver school, so you should get to throw all sorts of flags as drills too.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
htheduck
Tri-State Addict

Member #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewake
....Then of course there is all the off-roading that was going on before FS-2.
Ha! FS2 owned me-doh! I'll see if I can post a vid!
-H
Old 08-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

Quote:
Quote:
-H
Please do, I would like to see it!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
garyk
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #724

well

we will be running our improved touring svt focus there for 2 enduros this year..sat. 8/20 for a 1 hour and 9/10 for a 2 hour...any crew help is always appreciated....also will be instructing for pda on 8/19 a friday for practice
Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Can anyone race at Pocono?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
garyk

Member #724

well

depends on what you mean by racing...with emra any safe car can run in time trials which is not wheel to wheel but does put you on real tracks...passes are only allowed in certain spots and with a signal...still a blast..go as fast as you want with no flashing lights behind you...only convertibles are required to have roll bars..we run classroom sessions where you learn about flags, heel-toe, proper lines, etc...this is backed up with an in car instructor to help you at first....www.emraracing.org for more details also www.nasaracing.net we hold street car sessions at summit point, vir, the glen, pocono, beaverun etc...hope that helps
Old 08-11-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
Wreckerboy
Noob-Jersey

Member #727

Raven18940 asked:
Quote:
Can anyone race at Pocono?
The answer is a qualified yes - it depends on how you are defining "racing." With EMRA (the Eastern Motor Racing Association, www.emraracing.org) we have a Time Trial program that basically allows anybody with a street car to get out on track in a controlled, limited passing zone, environment, and have at it. We also offer a wheel to wheel race series which includes sprint races and enduros, but that is for prepared (read: full cage) race cars.

EMRA has a sprint race and enduro scheduled for Augst 20 at the Pocono long course, and then a sprint race/enduro/time trial weekend on September 10/11 on Pocono north.

Rob
EMRA Chief of Tech
Wreckerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:12 AM   #12
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

George,

As others have mentioned the answer is a qualified "yes". Each racing organization has its own rules and regulations. If a track day/lapping day/time trial falls withing your definition of racing, then the bar is much lower. In general if you have a safe car (the type of event will dictate this) and the appropriate licence then you can go race. The track day I did required a sound car (there was an inspection form, roll bars only if convertible) and a helmet for safety. A current valid driver's licence was also required. For real wheel-to-wheel racing the list gets longer, and generally require a full fire retardant suit, cage, Snell SA helmet, fire extinguisher, fuel cell, cut off switch etc. for safety. You may also need a special race license issued by the sanctioning body, as well as membership.

If you are serious, find out who you would like to race with and their specific requirements. NASA and EMRA were mentioned earlier and the SCCA has put all the national rules up on the web at http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/Fil...itionRules.pdf and updates are available at http://www.scca.com/garage

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a member and board of directors member of the South Jersey Region of the SCCA as well as being rally chair.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:54 AM   #13
garyk

Member #724

well

uh oh wreckerboy..one of THEM....actually never ran with south jersey, but did run some with north jersey...were very nice folks....
Old 08-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #14
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

Yes I am one of "them". :D Still I think there are many of us "racer-types" that participate with/are members of different organizations. At some point if you get serious you tend to stick with one group, but many do spread out thier fun.

If you do come to a SJ event, you will find out that most of us are nice too.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:54 AM   #15
garyk

Member #724

yep

i actually instruct for tarheel sports car club, nasa midatlantic, emra and svtoa..race only with emra though......despite wreckerboy putting my little focus in your equivelent of its....and now threatening me with gt1...
Old 08-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

Re: yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk
i actually instruct for tarheel sports car club, nasa midatlantic, emra and svtoa..race only with emra though......despite wreckerboy putting my little focus in your equivelent of its....and now threatening me with gt1...
Car classing is an arcane art I know very little about. I do know that is causes no end of headaches for most people. This is why I am not currently working on a racing license, or race car at the moment. When I do it will most likely be for auto-x only.

Just get a Vee and be done with it. No one will be reclassing those things.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #17
alachua
Tri-State Addict

Member #4

My Ride:
14 Miata Club

Send a message via AIM to alachua
My friends spent about two weeks rebuilding Marc Cefalo's Miata for this event after he rolled it two weeks prior. It rolled out of the body shop on thursday night, and into the trailer to go to the track. Only results I heard were that he qualified second, no clue how he ran in the race.

-Cliff
Old 08-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #18
htheduck
Tri-State Addict

Member #583

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
-H
Please do, I would like to see it!
Sorry for the delay: my friend's server was experiencing problems. These pics/vids are from June and it was my first time on Pocono-lot's of fun! (I had to convert the original lengthy .AVI format into something condensed, thus low quality vids). These were also shot with a still camera, not a video camera, which is my next objective.

It was a good day with Tri-Region SCCA.

Pics from the garage area:
Whelen Viper: King of the road
#38 Vette that rocked me and the NXS-see vid below!
Viper owner's son, I think he's on this forum
Videos:
Garage area view
NXS let's me go by: Vette coming!
I'm pestering a CRX then Cobra
Finally, Off Roading at Flag Station #2
-H
Old 08-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #19
Wreckerboy
Noob-Jersey

Member #727

I attended the Pocono event that Wake refers to as an instructor - it was my first non-EMRA event of the season. It was a nice day, and given the normal pace of a EMRA weekend for me (driving, Tech, grid steward, bouncing Focuses to GT-1), it was nice to be able to just drive for a change. A trifle boring with all of that extra time on my hands, but nice.
Wreckerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #20
thewake
Tri-State Addict

Member #385

H- I liked the videos thanks.

Wreckerboy- Yes the weekend was fun (except for the broken car part). Sometimes running with a different organization (where you bear no great responsibility) can be very relaxing. Hopefully they will do it again next year (and I will have a "disposable" car).

I am still very tempted to go to Summit Point and flag for the Labor day weekend. That should be a good time too.