TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
driftingeric2k4
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2026

My Ride:
2000 Ford Mustang GT/C

Alright, I gotta ask

After seeing some of the cars owned by the 16-21 year olds on this forum...I have to ask...

WTF do you guys do for money?? Is it all mom and dad's cash or what? I can barely afford my Mustang in stock trim much less a highly modded car that some of ya'll have and I make fairly decent money, though admittedly due to my area I am in it is probably 10-15k less than I would make where you guys are from.

Some of you have M3s and other BMW/Audi/luxury cars...some of you have porty cars like S2000's and NSX's. Some of you have both! How do you afford it? Let me in on the secret here folks!
driftingeric2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
EvlEgl
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1412

My Ride:
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Send a message via AIM to EvlEgl
Ha. I work two Jobs Live on my own and own a 1990 eagle talon...Some people are better off...some get lucky.
EvlEgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Travel Agent for AAA. I really want to become a full service agent but I can't due to school and the limited hours I usually work. I don't drive nothing special, it's just a wrx.

oh yeah, I do live at home but I just turned 20. I do plan on movin out once I finish up with school but as of right now I am goin to stick wit my twin bed.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!

Last edited by D Money; 08-21-2006 at 04:25 PM.
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
i own a beat up 2000 honda civic, but then again i live on my own with my girlfriend in an expensive ass apartment ($1200/month)

some people here have nice cars, but also live at home with their parents. I know I would have close to 800-900 bucks extra a month if i lived at home too.
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

haha, I live at home...I can barely afford my SRT :p
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
ITSTOCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #844

I think the key is a lot of us live at home still (as in myself at 21). I would say half the parents buy, the other half live at home (I see a LOT of rediculous claims from people justifying how they afford their cars, meanwhile their parents live in 2 million+ dollar homes, of course their parents bought them, no need to lie). If they answer no to either of them, they are full of ****. There is a lot of money in this area, I just wish my parents had it.

My cars are financed and I work full time, two jobs one being my own company. 1/2 my money goes in to the bank to buy property and build my dream home in 5 years, the other half goes to whatever I want aka car payments, fun money, and one of the bigger expenses....the girlfriend. Also, I am an extremely good price shopper. I NEVER pay ANYWHERE CLOSE to "market value" on bigger purchases. I waited 6 months to find my 03 cobra for literally $10,000 LESS than the average price, and 2 months to find my 03 X5 for UNDER TRADE IN VALUE. I will do the same with the M3 that I will be buying.

Unlike some other people, I enjoy living at home and being that I can't COMFORTABLY AFFORD A HOUSE THAT I ACTUALLY LIKE in the area, there is no point to moving in to a ****hole. I see no problem living at home at untill 25+ rent free, meanwhile having fun AND saving money to have a nicer first home. The AVERAGE home-buying age in America is 33 (as of 2005). It's a sidetrack, but I'm sure it will be the next quesion; "Why do you still live at home".

BTW, CAR PAYMENTS ROCK. I can't believe people empty out their life savings just to buy a car, that's just INSANE to me.

Last edited by ITSTOCK; 08-21-2006 at 04:29 PM.
ITSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

living at home FTW...i'll be poor when I buy a house at the end of the year tho...

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
TrboChicsRock
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #152

My Ride:
1998 Eclipse GSX, 2012 WRX Premium

Send a message via AIM to TrboChicsRock
I saved when I was younger and bought my car with cash. I mod it with spare cash that I have. I've been buying parts for the past 4 years.

I couldnt afford a car payment with my job, so if I hadn't saved when I was younger, who knows what I would be driving. I pay for my college and I have rent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TrboChicsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

i dunno. i guess it depends on what you do and how determined you are to get what you want.

i live on my own, usually have newer cars since i go through a new car about once a year, and dont rely on my parents to pay for them or me. i just work hard and save up. i bought my camaro and jimmy to save money after selling my srt-4 since my girl and i are paying for a wedding. now that its all paid off i got myself my truck and im saving up for a house. it seems like alot but if you can get your finances in order and have great credit alot of doors are opened up for you. if your not getting paid what you think you should then find a better paying job. im always moving from job to job because the moneys better.

i cant afford a new m3 or anything but im confortable where im at with what i got.

Last edited by Broken5hift; 08-21-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Broken5hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:
Shelby Z, ZJ, NSX, CBR954RR, Hawk GT

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
#1 im 24 ;)

#2 I did (am doing) Back 2 Back tours in iraq (not my choice, 25 months deployed total so far that i'll never get back...6 to go)

#3 I paid 24K cash, so the car is really not that expensive at this point
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #11
auk113
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #89

full time job since i was 15, saved up and got a duplex, now i collect rent, and work 60h/w

auk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
Gaze
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2322

My Ride:
96 Jeep ZJ, 07 Jeep Patriot

Send a message via AIM to Gaze
Really, there's no shame in saying "mom and dad buy it for me." Hell, if my mom and dad had the kind of money that could buy me an outragerous car / car parts, I'd be in my glory.

I'd love to not have to work my ass off at two jobs, 60 hours a week to afford parts... but unfortunately, i have to.

Gaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
R33P3R007
Tri-State Addict

Member #1069

My Ride:
Cobalt SS

i sling dope.

i'm just kidding. i actualy have a few jobs, and really can't afford to live and keep my car, let alone mod it. but i squeeze my pennies and mod when it adds up.

plus credit cards FTW

2005 Cobalt SS/SC
FOR SALE!!!

Quote:
car looked good, and sounded like this....brrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnn brrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaannnn
R33P3R007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
driftingeric2k4
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2026

My Ride:
2000 Ford Mustang GT/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
#1 im 24 ;)

#2 I did (am doing) Back 2 Back tours in iraq (not my choice, 25 months deployed total so far that i'll never get back...6 to go)

#3 I paid 24K cash, so the car is really not that expensive at this point

Wasn't picking on you dude at all, dont take it that way (same for you subwrx kid and mpowerkai). I am genuinely curious how some of ya'll have such considerable amount of coin. I scrape by every month, but then I live on my own, have several college loans, and have a job that pays 10-15k less than what it would if I lived in the city. Eventually, I will get there, but now, I cant afford to move. Catch-22 FTL. I couldnt stand living at home, so I guess that is the 600 dollar trade off I made.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

more or less lifes not gonna make itself better for you. it may be time to start trying to come up with some other options for either higher income or an additional source.
Broken5hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
driftingeric2k4
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2026

My Ride:
2000 Ford Mustang GT/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by R33P3R007
i sling dope.

i'm just kidding. i actualy have a few jobs, and really can't afford to live and keep my car, let alone mod it. but i squeeze my pennies and mod when it adds up.

plus credit cards FTW

Well, thats not too off base around here. I know three guys who have souped up cars/trucks/bikes/you name it and that is exactly how they afford it. Around here, if you make more than 12 bucks an hour (as I do, plus some) you are considered well off. Which is true I suppose, unless you consider that most of the poeple getting that $12 an hour only have a high school degree whereas I have a 4 year degree and all the lovely loans and debt that accompany it.

I have little to no credit debt though, and my credit rating is phenomenal for my age group. I dont intend to change that to get some extra go fast goodies. Sigh...responsibility.

Last edited by driftingeric2k4; 08-21-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #17
driftingeric2k4
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2026

My Ride:
2000 Ford Mustang GT/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken5hift
more or less lifes not gonna make itself better for you. it may be time to start trying to come up with some other options for either higher income or an additional source.
Oh I realize that. I have more responsibility in my company than anyone else my age. And I am fighting like a cornered wolverine to get the money I deserve. I have made all the right connections and put my pieces into play. Now is where all the fireworks happen. I got a plan and thats no joke. Im always scheming and playing politics. You have to in the corporate world.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #18
wrx_snobordr
Tri-State Addict

Member #21

I saved for many years while going to school and still live at home... at 25 (so depressing). I just graduated and got my first real job (****ty pay and all) and am getting situated. When i move out it may become nesessary to sell the EVO, which will suck, but their are more important things in life.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #19
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSTOCK
BTW, CAR PAYMENTS ROCK. I can't believe people empty out their life savings just to buy a car, that's just INSANE to me.
Car payments are CONVENIENT, but do not ROCK.

sure pay thousands more than the value of the car

and imagine if you didn't have a job and still have car payments. that causes more problems, which can lead to bad credit etc etc
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #20
Dave
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #633

My Ride:
Shelby Z, ZJ, NSX, CBR954RR, Hawk GT

Send a message via AIM to Dave Send a message via MSN to Dave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingeric2k4
Wasn't picking on you dude at all, dont take it that way (same for you subwrx kid and mpowerkai). I am genuinely curious how some of ya'll have such considerable amount of coin. I scrape by every month, but then I live on my own, have several college loans, and have a job that pays 10-15k less than what it would if I lived in the city. Eventually, I will get there, but now, I cant afford to move. Catch-22 FTL. I couldnt stand living at home, so I guess that is the 600 dollar trade off I made.
no problem dude, i wasnt taking it that way at all. i was a bit stiff about it but i was trying to point out that while im doing pretty good at the moment i almost never get to play ;) the real fun happens when i get back and start up college. see, in exchange for 6+6 years of toil ive put the army in a "catch-22" of my own. they owe me a combined 80,000 dollars for college over 4 years or so from my active time, BUT! if you are in the New jersey national guard State schools are 90% free. can you say free 20k for 4 years? of course now that i have explained my evil plan im gonna have to throw you in the shark tank! what we couldnt get sharks? well what could you get? CARP?! FREAKING BROWN CARP are you crazy?! they dont even have freaking teeth! what are they gonna do? suck him to death? what? buzzsaws? yeah that might work. but where are you gonna get all the extension cords?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote