TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Road Racing
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Airbags and full face helmets. Should they be used together?

Recently New Jersey rules for tracks were updated to require full face helmets for all HPDE/Racers/High Performance driving schools/Drifters/etc... on tracks in New Jersey.

I avoided getting a full face helmet and have been using an open face helmet because the only research I could find on the topic said that you are more likely to get a broken jaw and neck/spine injuries if you are wearing a full face helmet when an airbag deploys in a street car with airbags. The SCCA went so far as to highly recommend not using full face helmets in cars with airbags back in 2004.

When researching the topic again recently, after hearing about the updated requirements in new Jersey, I couldn't find any recent research on it. Does anyone have any newer research on the topic or has anyone here tasted an airbag with a full face helmet on?
Chris B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
AJ Hartman
Tri-State Addict

Member #10560

My Ride:
98 Mustang/99 mustang

I just did an auto-x with the sj-scca and they touched on the topic while talking about a PDX event they were going to do at NJMP. They said pretty much what your research said about you are more prone to neck injuries with a full face if an air bag were to deploy. So they said DE1 and DE2 level drivers can use an open face if their vehicle has airbags. Don't know if that helps much.
AJ Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

I don't think I'd track a car with airbags at all anyway.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
sil80wis
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6916

My Ride:
93 nissan 240sx sil80 with sr20det

can you guys post up the research you have found on the topic (where they say that it causes neck injuries)

*only if you guys still have easy access to the articles, as ill be looking it up myself anyway (im more interested in the medical aspect of it)
sil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B. View Post
Recently New Jersey rules for tracks were updated to require full face helmets for all HPDE/Racers/High Performance driving schools/Drifters/etc... on tracks in New Jersey.

I avoided getting a full face helmet and have been using an open face helmet because the only research I could find on the topic said that you are more likely to get a broken jaw and neck/spine injuries if you are wearing a full face helmet when an airbag deploys in a street car with airbags. The SCCA went so far as to highly recommend not using full face helmets in cars with airbags back in 2004.

When researching the topic again recently, after hearing about the updated requirements in new Jersey, I couldn't find any recent research on it. Does anyone have any newer research on the topic or has anyone here tasted an airbag with a full face helmet on?

From what I remember (from several years ago when I researched the subject) the number of recorded incidents with full face helmet/airbag related injuries was greatly exaggerated. I think it was forum-induced hysteria mostly ... one person happened to get injured and posted it and everyone got scared and jumped to conclusions.

If there are statistics and cited sources showing otherwise, I'll believe it, otherwise I'm thinking I might have to email Myth Busters to do a study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Hartman View Post
I just did an auto-x with the sj-scca and they touched on the topic while talking about a PDX event they were going to do at NJMP. They said pretty much what your research said about you are more prone to neck injuries with a full face if an air bag were to deploy. So they said DE1 and DE2 level drivers can use an open face if their vehicle has airbags. Don't know if that helps much.
Knowing the way NJ enforces rules at motorsports events and the amount of pressure NJMP is under to follow all government mandates (and come out profitable after this Ch.11 filing) I seriously doubt the SJR-SCCA has the clout to use internet/forum banter as just cause to skirt the newly released full faced helmet requirements.

I realize this article is mainly discussing the various HNR systems available, but makes a point about helmets and airbags that is valid regardless of HNR/harness useage:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackpedia
The FIA showed some work that they had done on airbags at the SCCA safety seminar in February 2006. They seemed to say keep the airbag energized but do not wear a helmet with anything that could catch on the airbag as it inflates which could cause the helmet to be tipped upward at the front - i.e. no firmly attached peaks like you see in some rally helmets and keep the visor closed. Another possibility is that your raised visor can puncture the airbag and then it would deflate in to your view port, not good. So, put the visor down or remove it.
All that said, I can not find a single reference from SFI or FIA that makes a claim one way or the other.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
HILLHO
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #16794

My Ride:
TURBO MR2's

Here's a video in "slow-motion" of my airbag deploying in my MR2 at 100+MPH while racing in the 2002 Duryea Hillclimb with a full-face Bell helmut. I was also wearing a 5 point harness, and equipped with an Auto-power rollbar.
An airbag will actually cause "brush burns" on your face/arms if you don't have protection. It's certainly not a "pillow". Fortunately, I walked away; lesson learned.
SLOWER is SAFER & FASTER because SMOOTHER.

http://www.myspace.com/hillho/videos/video/21096853
Here's a vid of the after accident walk around:
http://www.myspace.com/hillho/videos/video/19989495
93 MR2T White

Last edited by HILLHO; 03-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.
HILLHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Holy impact Fabio. That wreck is why hill climb safety gear requirements are so strict and why I don't participate in hill climbs.

I was just going to bump this up today anyway with updated info about an incident that took place this past weekend:
At the Schattenbaum PCA event this past weekend a Boxter nosed into the wall coming out of Thunderbolt T2 (he hit the infield armco)... it was a pretty hard hit (I could hear the skid then impact from the far side of the garages). Both airbags deployed. Driver was wearing only a 3-point shoulder belt along with is (NJ mandated) full face helmet. He is fine, no extra injuries to his person. YMMV.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
I was just going to bump this up today anyway with updated info about an incident that took place this past weekend:
At the Schattenbaum PCA event this past weekend a Boxter nosed into the wall coming out of Thunderbolt T2 (he hit the infield armco)... it was a pretty hard hit (I could hear the skid then impact from the far side of the garages). Both airbags deployed. Driver was wearing only a 3-point shoulder belt along with is (NJ mandated) full face helmet. He is fine, no extra injuries to his person. YMMV.
That's good to hear. Well, not good to hear he crashed, but good to hear he wasn't severely injured.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Snakebite
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10403

My Ride:
Too many to list.

How about just disabling airbag?
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
How about just disabling airbag?
Its a bad idea with stock 3 point seatbelts. If you hit anyting with any sort of speed with a disabled airbag, you get some pretty nasty heart/lung injuries.

I can't put a cage or legal roll bar in my car wihtout cutting up the interior or gutting the interior. Its not something I want to do with a daily driver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
Good to know guys. I have a full face helmet and want to start HPDE this summer!
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
neongolf
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #14564

My Ride:
95 civic

I don't get why the combo would hurt you. Also for those who wear the full face gear, do you also wear the neck brace/ring?? wouldn't that negate the injury risk??
neongolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by neongolf View Post
I don't get why the combo would hurt you. Also for those who wear the full face gear, do you also wear the neck brace/ring?? wouldn't that negate the injury risk??

A horse collar type of neck brace really only helps support the weight of a helmet, it offers basically no protection from whiplash or BSF...and definitely wouldn't stop the type of injury people claimed were caused by an airbag deployment.

I wear a HANS device, but that's only in cars with a 5/6-point belt system. In cars with an OEM 3-point I do not wear a brace.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

will these new rules apply to drag strips as well?

Nobody On This Forum Cares About Real Performance

^If you disagree prove me wrong
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Chris B.
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #14208

My Ride:
is Sonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88 View Post
will these new rules apply to drag strips as well?
The drag racing rules are different. These are the latest I found.

§ 13:62-5.22 Helmets, head cushions, and head and neck
restraints
(a) All drivers shall wear a properly secured helmet which
meets or exceeds the Snell Memorial Foundation Testing
Standards for special application (SA) or motorcycle (M) use,
respectively, incorporated herein by reference, as may be
amended and supplemented, which has not reached the
expiration date established by the Snell Memorial Foundation
at the time of the event. The standards are available from the
Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Avenue, Suite 11,
North Highlands, CA 95660.
(b) Where required under NHRA rules, incorporated by
reference at N.J.A.C. 13:62-5.39, all drivers shall wear a
properly secured head and neck restraint device/system or neck
collar which is commercially-produced and designed for
racing.
§ 13:62-5.23 Face shield
The driver of all vehicles not equipped with windshields shall
wear a properly secured, full face helmet with a face shield of
the type which meets or exceeds U.S.A. standard
Specifications for Head, Eye and Respiratory Protection Z2.1-
1959 testing standard.