TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Road Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

SJR SCCA PDX @ NJMP Ligthning 3.26-27

Two-day event. $200 per day for either Saturday or Sunday. $350 for both days.

Registration Link

Event details (PDF download)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJR SCCA March Lion Event Requirements
Jersey Racing Board 26-27 March 2011
March Lion Performance Driving Experience
Supplemental Regulations
This event is a Performance Driving Experience (PDX) with two sessions on Saturday and Sunday. It is being presented by the Jersey Racing Board (Northern New Jersey and South Jersey Regions) of the Sports Car Club of America. Both sessions will be held on the 1.9 mile Lightning Course of the New Jersey Motorsports Park. The event will be held in rain or shine.

The PDX events are subject to the SCCA Time Trials Rules (TTR). All participants are expected to read and be familiar with the appropriate sections of these rules. The current version of the PDX (Level 1 Time Trials) rules can be downloaded at no charge from http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%2...%20-%20PDX.pdf. The events will be conducted concurrent with an SCCA Club Racing Drivers School. The PDX and the Drivers School are completely independent events with their own separate registration and regulations.

EVENT. This event is an SCCA Trials event conducted in accordance with New Jersey Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations Chapter 62, the current SCCA Time Trials Rules, any amendments to date and these Supplemental Regulations. In the event of a conflict, the New Jersey regulations will supersede all others.

ENTRIES. The attached entry form is part of these Supplemental Regulations and contains pertinent contact and event information. All entry forms must be filled out completely. They may be entered into the DLB online registration system ( http://www.dlbracing.com ) or mailed and postmarked by the deadline. Phone 609 926-4842 before 24 March for event information. Entries postmarked after 19 March or taken at the track are subject to an additional $25 dollar late entry fee. There is no late entry for online entries. All checks are subject to collection with both the driver and entrant responsible. A $50 fee will be charged for insufficient funds. Do not use Express Mail or overnight delivery services which require a daytime signature or a special pickup. Registration is not complete or guaranteed until payment in full is received. Payment may be made with Paypal, mailed to the registrar with a paper
entry or mailed separately if registering online. Entries will be accepted on a first come first served basis. Each driver must submit a separate application. Two or more drivers per car will not be permitted without specific approval from the Chief Steward.

WITHDRAWALS AND REFUNDS. Refunds are guaranteed for cancellations received by the Registrar prior to the close of event accounting on Monday, 4 April 2011. Telephone cancellations will be accepted if followed by written notice. No refunds can be made if the car has participated in any on-track session. Refunds less a $30 administrative fee will be handled by check within 21 days after the event.

CANCELLATION. The organizers reserve the right to cancel or postpone the event when circumstances develop beyond their control. When possible, all entrants will receive advance notice of such action and advice on refund arrangements. For event status call the Registrar or Race Chairman.

ENTRY LIMITS. An entry is considered “received” when the form has been properly completed and full payment received. The PDX will be limited to 60 entries per day. All additional entries will be placed on a waiting list. Entrants will be notified of their status as changes in registration are realized.

LOG BOOK. All participants will receive a Time Trials Participation Log Book which stays with their instructor during the event and is returned to the student at the end of the day. This log book is to be used at each event as a record of your progress in our educational process and is also used at SCCA Time Trials events. We suggest that you keep the Log Book with your helmet as you may not be able to participate without either item. First-time Novice students will be issued a Time Trials Log Book at event check-in.

PERSONAL SAFETY EQUIPMENT.
1. All participants must be fully covered by clothing when on track (no shorts, no short sleeves, shoes that fully cover the foot, etc.) Fire resistant suits are not required, but are recommended in all race-prepared cars, and optional in all cars.
2. Helmets must be full face and meet a minimum of Snell M-95 or newer requirements. Open face helmets are prohibited.
3. All drivers in open, Targa type, or T-top cars running with the roof panels removed must wear suitable eye protection, i.e., goggles, bubble shield, or face shield on full face helmets.

GROUPS. All entrants must run in their designated groups. Exceptions for good and sufficient reason will be considered on a case-by-case and will be at the sole discretion of the Chief Steward. Any driver showing up for registration, tech inspection or the Grid after run groups have started forfeits any missed track time.

DRIVER EXPERIENCE. Each entrant must provide a complete description of prior driving and competition experience to allow the organizers to develop the appropriate groups. The event Credential Committee (Race Chairmen, Chief Steward and Chief Instructor) is authorized to waive the student status in TTR 3.1.2 for qualified individuals.

PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENTS.
1. A driver must be 18 years of age and possess a current valid driver's license issued by his or her state of
residence. If a driver age 16 or 17 is a current SCCA licensed competition holder, he or she is eligible to
drive. 16 and 17 year-old participants (non-SCCA license holders) can only ride with an SCCA driving
instructor.
2. All drivers must be SCCA members. Weekend memberships will be available at Registration. Nonmembers should include $15 in their registration payment to cover the cost of the membership.
3. All participants, including drivers, workers, crew members and guests must sign the SCCA Release and
Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement Form at Registration. NOTE: The facility may require an additional waiver – this is strictly to access New Jersey Motorsports Park and does not supersede the requirement of the signed SCCA Waiver.
IMPORTANT: In order to satisfy Chapter 62, minor drivers must provide a copy of their birth certificate, an SCCA minor waiver signed by a parent or guardian and a detailed driver resume.
4. All participants under the age of 18 must present to the Registrar at this event a fully completed Minor Release and Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement form. Contact the Registrar for a copy of the Minor Waiver form or download from ( http://www.scca.com/documents/insura...minorwaier.pdf ). Downloaded releases must be printed in color.
5. The organizers of this event have the right to refuse an entry at their discretion.
6. Any driver found to have driven on course in any vehicle before having properly completed the waiver signing process will be disqualified from the event with no refund of entry fee and will be removed from the premises.

CAR ELIGIBILITY.
1. The PDX is open to all cars that are street legal, currently registered vehicles meeting Solo guidelines. In addition, cars classified by the GCR as SCCA club racing and NESCCA approved regional classes of
Showroom Stock (all), Miata’s (SM, SSM), Spec RX-7 & IT-7, Touring (all), Improved Touring (all) and
American Sedan OR Solo classes (Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared and Street Modified) will be
allowed. The event is also open to all cars conforming to Trials Level 4 regulations that compete on DOT
tires.
2. Cars must have a passenger seat with at least a three-point seat belt, both meeting DOT standards as a minimum. Please see Technical Inspection items 4 and 5 below for further clarification.
3. At PDX (Level 1) events, any car that is street legal will NOT require a roll bar/roll cage, except for
Convertibles and Targa top automobiles. These cars must have either a roll bar meeting the requirements of this section of the TTR, a non-mechanical factory roll bar/roll over protection (i.e. no pop-ups), or a factory hard top using the factory mounting hardware and mounting points. The height of any vehicle occupant (with helmet) in an open car shall not be higher that the highest point of a roll bar structure. Owners of cars equipped with factory roll bars/roll over protection must present documentation stating that the device is a roll bar or roll over protection at the time of vehicle tech inspection (a factory issued Owner’s or Shop Manual will fulfill this requirement.) Targa top (and T-top) automobiles may forgo the roll bar requirement under the condition that the Targa bar meets the height requirements set forth in 11.1.1.B. For the purposes of this determination only, street legal will be defined as a car which meets local requirements for inspection (if applicable) and the car in question must possess CURRENT, VALID registration. If this street legal requirement is not met, then the roll bar requirement as stated in this section shall apply.

PADDOCK. Cars should be aligned in the paddock under the direction of the paddock marshals. Non-workshop and open trailers must be parked in trailer park area. No motorized vehicle may be operated by anyone not holding a valid state issued drivers license. Children must be under direct parental supervision at all times. Speeding and reckless driving in the paddock are strictly prohibited. No stakes or holes may be driven into the asphalt; nothing can be painted on the asphalt surface. Receptacles will be available for used oil and other fluids. All trash and hazardous debris must be disposed properly or taken with you when you leave - the facility must be left as we found it. Per Chapter 62, absolutely no alcohol may be consumed in the paddock during the day’s racing events. Since groups not under SCCA
control will have access to paddock, reasonable care should be exercised to protect personal belongings.

VEHICLES. The speed limit in the paddock is 5 mph. The speed on access roads is 25 mph. Race cars not licensed for street use may not be driven outside of the paddock. No testing or brake bedding on infield roads is permitted.
TECHNICAL INSPECTION. All entrants must have the attached pre-event Technical Inspection sheet completed by a qualified mechanic prior to the event. Any vehicles without this form completed may be barred from participation. There will be a brief Tech Inspection confirmation procedure at the event. Cars with completed forms will be given priority over cars which require a full inspection.
1. Hardtops and sunroofs must be removed and/or securely fastened. Convertible tops must be fully down or fully up and securely fastened.
2. Brake lights and DOT tires are required on all cars.
3. A restraint system meeting federal standards for the year of manufacture of the vehicle in each of the front seating positions. At a minimum, a three point system must be in place. Competition type 5-point systems are highly recommended and required in cars modified for racing (e.g. Showroom Stock, Touring, and IT).
4. Any car that is judged to be in an unsafe operating condition at any time during the event shall be prohibited from further participation until the deficiency is corrected.
5. All loose items inside and outside of the car must be removed. Passenger seat back and cushion must be secured.
6. All cars must display their assigned number. Numbers must be at least 8" high with a 1.5" stroke and be in a contrasting color. Tape numbers are not acceptable.

SOUND CONTROL. The 2011 sound limit is 103 db. All cars will be monitored on driver’s left at the beginning of the Pit Straight.

PDX TRACK RULES. During PDX sessions, passing is permitted only with a point-by for both students and instructors. In the case where a student manages to find themselves with more than two wheels off the track, they will re-enter the track safely (possibly with the assistance of the course workers) and proceed to the Pit area to explain your conduct to the Safety Steward and/or the Chief Instructor. W ith a second infraction of more than two wheels off the track, you may forfeit the balance of your day (with no refund) and be asked to leave. This is an educational event and as such, you are expected to drive on the track as instructed. There is no trophy for a wrecked car and this is NOT a racing school; it is an educational event which is designed to help you get up to speed on a closed track safely.

PDX SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS. Each participant must present their pre-event tech form and helmet to the Tech Inspectors for approval. An on-site technical inspection is available but will not necessarily be performed in a timely manner (you may miss your first track session of the day). BRING YOUR COMPLETED DOCUMENTS TO TECH INSPECTION. Participants will be placed in groups based on their level of “performance driving” experience as indicated on the entry form and must run with that group. Changes in the assigned group will be considered by, and are at the sole discretion of the Chief Driving Instructor. Any driver arriving late to Registration and Tech forfeits any missed track time.

DISQUALIFICATION. Drivers are responsible for their guests, crew, and service vehicles. Vehicles may not operate in an unsafe manner on any track access road before or during the event. Drivers may not have unauthorized passengers in the vehicle to or from any area of the course. Drivers shall only be allowed on track during their designated group or with specific authorization. No alcoholic beverages may be consumed prior to the completion of the day’s on-track activities. Violation of these rules may result in disqualification without refund.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Just got confirmation that I am instructing both days...woot!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Got Insulin?
Hard Snarker
Super Moderator

Member #7591

My Ride:
01 Audi TT 225, GVR-4 #72/1000, 91 TSi AWD

Send a message via AIM to Got Insulin?
Congrats on the instructor gig! Going to try to scrounge together some moolah to make this.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Yeah, it is cool, but I'll only get a few sessions on my own (most of my time will be in the screaming ballast seat)... which is ok since I get another Lightning test day on the Friday before LeMons.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Only a couple of weeks away! Time to get the car prepared.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Indrid Cold
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18770

My Ride:
2008 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR

Question about this...Is this for drivers that have participated in similar events like this before or can someone with no autox or track experience participate?

Is there multiple cars on the track at once? Passing allowed?

I am new to the SCCA and am trying to decide if this is something I would be interested in rather then the SOLO events.
Indrid Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

Cold, <<< (I wasn't trying to be a wise ass so I edited my original posted salutation since I wasn't sure if IC was a guy or babe but now I'm sure he's a guy)

Even if this would be your first time they have a beginners group that would be suitable for you and that group goes through more classroom time and on track excercises/instructions than the more experienced groups. I recommend starting in beginner group unless you have quite a bit of Solo experience. When they ask, just tell them exactly what, if any, experience you have and they'll group you accordingly.
Yes there are multiple cars on track at the same time. Passing is only allowed on designated straightaways, never in turns, and even on straights you can only pass when the car in front "points you by" which literally requires them to give you a hand point by hand acknowledgement. Go for it, you'll love it.

Last edited by Nick 95 6sp; 03-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Nick 95 6sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Indrid Cold
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18770

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 95 6sp View Post
Mr. (or Ms.?) Cold,

Even if this would be your first time they have a beginners group that would be suitable for you and that group goes through more classroom time and on track excercises/instructions than the more experienced groups. I recommend starting in beginner group unless you have quite a bit of Solo experience. When they ask, just tell them exactly what, if any, experience you have and they'll group you accordingly.
Yes there are multiple cars on track at the same time. Passing is only allowed on designated straightaways, never in turns, and even on straights you can only pass when the car in front "points you by" which literally requires them to give you a hand point by hand acknowledgement. Go for it, you'll love it.

Thanks Nick. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

How much time is spent actually out driving in a beginner group?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Indrid, novice run groups get 3-5 20minute track sessions. Plus two one-hour classroom sessions.

Novice groups eventually get passing privileges but with a point-by only and only in designated spots (front straight, back straight). There are normally 15-25 novice cars on track at a time, spread out. Every novice has an instructor in the passenger seat every session until the instructor signs you off as being solo ready--this usually does not happen on the first day if you are total rookie.

SCCA PDXs are an excellent way to get familiar with high-speed driving techniques. Definitely worth the money! Hope to see you out there.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Indrid Cold
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18770

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
Indrid, novice run groups get 3-5 20minute track sessions. Plus two one-hour classroom sessions.

Novice groups eventually get passing privileges but with a point-by only and only in designated spots (front straight, back straight). There are normally 15-25 novice cars on track at a time, spread out. Every novice has an instructor in the passenger seat every session until the instructor signs you off as being solo ready--this usually does not happen on the first day if you are total rookie.

SCCA PDXs are an excellent way to get familiar with high-speed driving techniques. Definitely worth the money! Hope to see you out there.

Thanks for the info. I may get some seat time under my belt first at some SOLO events but this is a must do for me in the very near future.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Infa-red SVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #5629

My Ride:
01 Z06/08 FJC/91 SSM/SM Miata/79 911 SC

I'll be there with my brother and my father...

My dad is running in novice with the old 911 (beater)

I'll be running my z06

My brother is running the miata and we were hoping to switch up cars as we'll be in the advanced group
Infa-red SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
willthethrill
Tri-State Addict

Member #1683

My Ride:
Infiniti G35 6mt, Datsun 510

Send a message via AIM to willthethrill
I was there yesterday, had a blast as always ...until i had car troubles. If anyone has any pictures be sure to post them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
willthethrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

^The yellow Datsun, right? Car was pretty bad ass looking. What happened to it?

Sunday turned out to be a great day too. No rain or snow ... clouds even parted letting the sun shine a good bit ... never warmed up though.

I had a couple of excellent students and had a blast each day ... definitely became a fan of Lightning, especially T1-T5.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
willthethrill
Tri-State Addict

Member #1683

My Ride:
Infiniti G35 6mt, Datsun 510

Send a message via AIM to willthethrill
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneday View Post
^The yellow Datsun, right? Car was pretty bad ass looking. What happened to it?

Sunday turned out to be a great day too. No rain or snow ... clouds even parted letting the sun shine a good bit ... never warmed up though.

I had a couple of excellent students and had a blast each day ... definitely became a fan of Lightning, especially T1-T5.
Yeah that was me, thanks. My final session down the straight heading into turn one i went to shift from 5th to 4th and could not. It was stuck solid in 5th , not to sure what happened to my trans i didn't want to risk any more damage so i pulled off and got a flat tow back to my trailer. A bunch of nice guys i met earlier in the day came to my resuce and helped me get loaded up. At least it happened at the end of the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
willthethrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Infa-red SVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #5629

My Ride:

We had a blast this weekend all the cars had no real issues...I had a ton of fun in the vette for it being my first pdx with the car.

Does anyone know the name of the photographer who took pics of the PDX event?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
BlackTypeR
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #459

Send a message via AIM to BlackTypeR
I was there today taking pictures. Only stayed for the morning runs, couldn't feel my hands by lunchtime
Here's a link to the gallery where i'll be putting all the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobmacm...7626366505264/

Only have a few up so far, but should have a bunch more uploaded in the next couple days.

BlackTypeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
Infa-red SVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #5629

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTypeR View Post
I was there today taking pictures. Only stayed for the morning runs, couldn't feel my hands by lunchtime
Here's a link to the gallery where i'll be putting all the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobmacm...7626366505264/

Only have a few up so far, but should have a bunch more uploaded in the next couple days.
Awesome pics! I was the #5 Z06....I love the shot of it at speed
Old 03-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
BlackTypeR
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #459

Send a message via AIM to BlackTypeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa-red SVT View Post
Awesome pics! I was the #5 Z06....I love the shot of it at speed
Thanks!

BlackTypeR is offline   Reply With Quote