TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #1
05OCsrt-4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #855

srt-4 owners, take a look

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...0&page=3&pp=15

that looks like a nice setup, if it does good in the tests, I'll be all for it,
05OCsrt-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
hystericfox
Tri-State Addict

Member #1366

My Ride:
Too many.

Send a message via AIM to hystericfox
Why would you bother putting twins on an I-4 motor?
04 WRX wagon - winter beater
-RjH
hystericfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
05OCsrt-4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #855

it's either that or a big turbo and supposively DCX (darrel cox racing) did that setup and got bout 450-500WHP out of it, it'd jus be different than every other srt-4 but with thte same HP
Old 02-23-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
05Accent
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1050

My Ride:
2008 Evo X GSR, 2002 Honda CRV

Send a message via AIM to 05Accent
Whootttttttt
With MIVEC Turbo
Daily-2002 Honda Crv Cruisin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
With Vtec
Quote:
Yea Junior you suck. Everyone boo this man!
Quote:
obviously you have an 05 accent and your picture is just your dream car.
05Accent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:37 AM   #5
hystericfox
Tri-State Addict

Member #1366

My Ride:
Too many.

Send a message via AIM to hystericfox
I don't know, it seems like something that's more bling factor than anything.
04 WRX wagon - winter beater
-RjH
hystericfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
RealslowSRT4
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1370

Yea I'll get in on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RealslowSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
05OCsrt-4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #855

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystericfox
I don't know, it seems like something that's more bling factor than anything.
for the price he's offering that kit for, it'll save me about 1,500 rather than get the GT35R turbo
Old 02-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #8
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

Send a message via AIM to SilverTurboRidin Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurboRidin
yeah i seen that the other day will be a nasty setup
Now it's a war you ain't on the side wit me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SilverTurboRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #9
05OCsrt-4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #855

so far fully built has the fastest stock turbo like 11.97 with no nitrous
Old 02-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Send a message via AIM to Driven
Twin's are a waste of time.

Pros: Yes, you can make more power than a stock single turbo
According to this guy, cost, I have a feeling he's forgotten a lot of items though (oil lines, coolant lines, intake pipes, intercooler pipes, exhaust plumbing, waste gates.... you get the point)

Cons: Added complexity
Two of everything to leak
More rotating mass (ie two shafts, two turbine wheels, two compressor wheels, this means slower spool up than a larger single turbo)
If hes cutting and welding the cast manifolds for this kit, you have those welds to break (welding cast is NOT very strong)
Less power potential than a similarly sized single.

Why do you think all the RX7 and Supra guys switch to a single? It removes a lot of the complexity as well as giving better spool up for the power potential.

Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
Tiny
Tri-State Addict

Member #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05OCsrt-4
so far fully built has the fastest stock turbo like 11.97 with no nitrous
I've also been to thier "shop" in Vegas and they work out of a 1 car garage at the bottom of a row home. I went into the row home to use the bathroom and I was worried about even sitting on the couch because it was disgustingly dirty.

We did 12.3 on the stock turbo 2 years ago on drag radials, and if you dig into thier car, you'll find that the turbo is not as stock as you think. Ported and clipped is not really stock anymore, and they have a few thousand dollars into a head, throttle body, etc.

Twin turbo an a srt4 is nothing but a gimick. If your into the "bling" then maybe it's for you. I just like going fast.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Send a message via AIM to S4toSTI
O snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL
Bryan: hmm Word says streetable isnt a word but i say f*** Word
"Its not a Rice Rocket its a Matzah Missile" -RichK
S4toSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

Send a message via AIM to SilverTurboRidin Send a message via Yahoo to SilverTurboRidin
True but its gonna be the best bang for the buck, And im not sure if you read through that entire thread but they were talking about ways to decrease the lag thats gonna be created.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

I don't think I would want to be one of the first people with that kit. It sounds like they might be cutting corners to get that "best bang for the buck" price. In addition to adding more "rotating mass" you are also adding more backpressure to the whole system by tacking another turbo on there.

-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

The only positive is that it is 1500 bucks i don't even think the rev it up guys can give you 450 whp for 1500. Personally give me a huge turbo that spools when it feels liek it and i will make sure i am in the right gear at the right rpm's end of story.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #16
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toSTI
The only positive is that it is 1500 bucks i don't even think the rev it up guys can give you 450 whp for 1500. Personally give me a huge turbo that spools when it feels liek it and i will make sure i am in the right gear at the right rpm's end of story.
That's a decent price, but the skeptic in me still wonders what it will be missing? Are they going to reuse the stock turbo on the twin setup?

-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #17
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Well i don't think that matters what worries me is the injectors are optional... umm 450 whp on stockers ummm yeah.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #18
Driven
Tri-State Addict

Member #336

Send a message via AIM to Driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburwell
I don't think I would want to be one of the first people with that kit. It sounds like they might be cutting corners to get that "best bang for the buck" price. In addition to adding more "rotating mass" you are also adding more backpressure to the whole system by tacking another turbo on there.
Actually, you'll be cutting down on backpressure some, just like a larger turbine housing does. The difference is, a larger turbine housing will cut down the exhaust pressure more effectively.

I think you guys will be suprised at how slow the spool up is going to be on these twins. You're going to be feeding the turbo with half the displacement, so expect twice the RPM's to be required to spool them. This is a simplistic model but its suprisingly accurate. If the stocker hits full boost at ~2500, expect the twins to be somewhere in the neighborhood of ~5000 RPM's. I'm POSITIVE there are turbos with "450-500whp" capability out there with far better spool up than that. Hell, I have a T67 on a 2.3L and I get full boost below 4k in higher gears. That's a 700+whp capable turbo.

Also, don't forget that these turbo's were designed with a certain boost pressure in mind. Putting two of them in parallel doesn't help that pressure ratio, but instead just helps the overall flow out of the turbo's. An engine can only take in a certain amount of air for a certain boost pressure, so this doesn't help you much. If someone can get me a compressor map of the SRT-4 turbo, I can tell you just how good or bad this is. I'm willing to bet that Dodge did a little research and put a turbo on that would be well suited for the engine (at stock boost pressures). This means making that turbo into a twin probably puts it out of its effeciency.

Driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #19
S4toSTI
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #348

My Ride:
Cars are so 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven
Actually, you'll be cutting down on backpressure some, just like a larger turbine housing does. The difference is, a larger turbine housing will cut down the exhaust pressure more effectively.

I think you guys will be suprised at how slow the spool up is going to be on these twins. You're going to be feeding the turbo with half the displacement, so expect twice the RPM's to be required to spool them. This is a simplistic model but its suprisingly accurate. If the stocker hits full boost at ~2500, expect the twins to be somewhere in the neighborhood of ~5000 RPM's. I'm POSITIVE there are turbos with "450-500whp" capability out there with far better spool up than that. Hell, I have a T67 on a 2.3L and I get full boost below 4k in higher gears. That's a 700+whp capable turbo.

Also, don't forget that these turbo's were designed with a certain boost pressure in mind. Putting two of them in parallel doesn't help that pressure ratio, but instead just helps the overall flow out of the turbo's. An engine can only take in a certain amount of air for a certain boost pressure, so this doesn't help you much. If someone can get me a compressor map of the SRT-4 turbo, I can tell you just how good or bad this is. I'm willing to bet that Dodge did a little research and put a turbo on that would be well suited for the engine (at stock boost pressures). This means making that turbo into a twin probably puts it out of its effeciency.
I don't think the equations is direct like that i don't think you can say since it spools stock at 2500 it will spool with these two at 5k but ok. The smarter thing to have done would do have done one small and one big tubro.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
SilverTurboRidin
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #197

Some people commented about using one T04/T05 or something..i forget. But i do however agree about the injectors