TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Road Racing
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
jeremy5000
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #16607

My Ride:
1998 BMW M3

would it be a problem...

Would it be a problem taking my car to some track/autox events if the car isn't insures under my name?
jeremy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Bates
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16741

My Ride:
2012 Nissan Juke & 1987 Nissan 300ZX GLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy5000 View Post
Would it be a problem taking my car to some track/autox events if the car isn't insures under my name?
Don't think so. My Sentra isn't under my name and I have Auto-Xed it without any issues.
Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Nick 95 6sp
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3675

My Ride:
'95 Supra Turbo 6sp

In more than ten years I've been doing track days, no one has ever asked about insurance on my car or even who owns it.
Nick 95 6sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
jeremy5000

Member #16607

My Ride:
1998 BMW M3

Just what I wanted to hear, thanks guys.
jeremy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
cs82685

Member #6977

My Ride:
Evo IX / 96 Eclipse RST

you can also get additional HPDE insurance (IDK about auto-x) if you want, there's a few companys that offer it
cs82685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:
the one in the back of the shop

^^^ Insurance really doesn't matter anyway. At the track it isn't covered and when you sign up you sign a liability waiver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Vince@R/TTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
BrandonINS
Vendor

Member #22292

My Ride:
2005 Legacy GT

Here are the issues with this. Vince the liability waiver states they are not liable for any injury you cause. They do in fact have insurance for race events, especially for liability. If you cause an injury to a spectator or volunteer and do not have coverage I hope your wallet is deep enough to be self insured and pay out a large claim. We do offer auto X insurance and other race event insurance, even if the car is registered in another name. But if you drive a car that is not insured to you and cause an injury, you and the owner of a car are in for a world of trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BrandonINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:

Really no issues, I think his question was more so can he race a car at the track that is not in his name or insured in his name. I was more so saying as far as the track is concerned they dont care if the car is in your name or insured in your name seeing how you sign a liability waiver, waiving the track from responsibility. Buying the track insurance is always a good idea for the driver I think. I would think if someone was to crash a car and a spectator was to get hurt, the drivers insurance(primary/regular) probably wouldn't cover it, as you are on a race track and would probably deny the claim. I know when we run race events, the insurance we buy is to cover spectators and the workers we use to run the event, we are also required to have EMT there as part of the agreement.

Last edited by Vince@R/TTuning; 01-24-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
BrandonINS
Vendor

Member #22292

My Ride:
2005 Legacy GT

If he does not have race insurance for events and is driving someone else’s car, the owner of the car, personal insurance, and the driver are all liable. His question was would this be a problem, and while he may be able to actually race there if any accident happens there could be a problem.

If you think in the event of a personal injury suit a lawyer is not going after the track insurance, race insurance, and personal auto insurance think again.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor

Member #3958

My Ride:

I don't think anything specific. I'm not speaking in the event of an accident what a personal injury lawyer would do, so don't assume. If there was an accident, I'm sure there would def be a problem and it would be a legal nightmare. Like I said, I think he was talking more so would the track care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 95 6sp View Post
In more than ten years I've been doing track days, no one has ever asked about insurance on my car or even who owns it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy5000 View Post
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks guys.

Clearly that's what he was asking and got his answer...

Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
BrandonINS
Vendor

Member #22292

My Ride:
2005 Legacy GT

He may have been asking in regards to the track, but I did not want to assume that is all he was asking since his question was only "would there be a problem.. As you stated it would be a legal nightmare and if I can offer advice to avoid that I will.