TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Road Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #21
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolinaround View Post
He was showing me pictures of a huge pink caddy and a carbureted v12 bimmer motor.
I think you (or he) are confusing two cars...The Pink Cadillac was at Nelson Ledges last year and they drove the damn thing into the bridge abutment...but got it running again several hours later. But they didn't have the V12 in that car....that motor was in a red Thunderbird...

They car lasted two laps with that set up....he then swapped in a diesel BWM I6. Jeff is a madman.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 AM   #22
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

No I know that they were two different cars. He was actually driving the caddy and crashed it. Sorry if it made it seem like i was talking about having it in the same car.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #23
DPancoast
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6193

My Ride:
94 Integra GSR / 96 Jeep (DD)

Send a message via AIM to DPancoast
used to read about the Lemons races over on the mr2oc.... I think its so cool. i just dont have the time. would love to check it out someday tho!

- 94 Integra "Panda" GSR/LS (crashed to finished in < 30 days)
- 96 Integra (Totaled 5/28/2011)
- 91 MR2 Turbo (SOLD)
- 91 MR2 n/a (SOLD)

Quote:
in-raging? is that like an internal raging hard on? usage might include: i'm in-raging for some bacon right now
DPancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #24
Snakebite
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10403

My Ride:
Too many to list.

A family member runs those in his 240 Volvo Wagon. I think they won 7-8th overall in the FL race. And a member of my autox region runs them with their Dodge Neon.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
Kupop
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #999

My Ride:
'06 Chevy TrailBlazer SS; '01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS; '93 Toyota MR2-T

Send a message via AIM to Kupop
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
A family member runs those in his 240 Volvo Wagon. I think they won 7-8th overall in the FL race. And a member of my autox region runs them with their Dodge Neon.
Gee, I wonder if that is Blair... ;)
Kupop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #26
screamingdsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #465

My Ride:
Volvo

Send a message via AIM to screamingdsm
Im getting in on this. I will get down and nasty to win this race.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #27
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingdsm View Post
Im getting in on this. I will get down and nasty to win this race.
Let me know what car you are in so I can: A) avoid you on the track and B) wait by the penalty box then point and laugh as you are berated by the judges.

See you out there!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
oneday
Tri-State Addict

Member #5367

My Ride:
E36 M3 Coupe

Well, we took three cars and were the first team in Lemons history with three cars starting and all three still running at the checkers...on top of that we had two of the three in the top ten...our newest car the R2-Q5 2nd gen Integra started in 64th (of 66 teams starting), 41 laps down (thanks to penalty laps) and we finished in 26th place. The Flying Spaghetti Monster, our 3rd gen Integra, finished 6th, while the Invisible Pink Unicorn E30 BMW took the overall laps completed win! Woo hoo!

Pix to follow.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #29
brandonl
Noob-Jersey

Member #8674

My Ride:
04 STi race car, F250 PSD

Send a message via AIM to brandonl
Nice job oneday, you guys did great. We were running in the top 5 for the first half of day 1, then our clutch started slipping due to oil slinging out of the rear main. We pitted and sprayed brake cleaner in the bell housing every 20-30 mins from about 230-4, then all the friction material on the disc was gone and it fused itself together. So with 4th gear only we limped along and finally called it quits with about 50 mins left on Saturday. We did the clutch, trans, rear main, etc that night, got back out Sunday and climbed back from 38th-ish to 20th... Not bad for a pretty big mechanical failure and a car pulled from a junkyard and built in 4 days : )

See you guys at Summit!

Brandon
Team Duct Tape
#53 Green mk3 VW Golf
brandonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #30
dsmtuner
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2090

My Ride:
93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD(The Racecar), 02 Audi A4(The Daily)

I've always wanted to build a car to compete in these events, but the rules always seemed so vague to me, maybe one of you guys that run can clear them up for me. If I understand correctly you have to buy/build the car for less than 500 dollars(excluding the cost of the cage) and everything over that you get penalized for. But a good set of tires is more than 500 dollars and if safety is so important to them I can't see them letting you go around a track with some worn out crappy ass all-seasons. What about repairs, do those go into the 500 budget? Also what about stuff that gets gifted to you, or stuff you just have laying around? We got enough turbos and piping laying around I'm sure we could easily through together a turbo kit for what ever car we got. Also what's to keep me from throwing together some crazy built engine and dumping a quart of oil over it to make it look old and crappy? Basically I'm concerned how in gods name you get a junkyard car track ready for less than $500, even a thousand would make a huge diference but like I said, 500 doesn't seem like enough to even make the car safe to race. And how they keep other competitors from bending the rules.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
Kupop
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #999

My Ride:

Congrats to your team Justin. It was fun racing with your cars out there on the track. Our v6 MR2 was running great this time, unlike its first time out at Sebring. We started with 32 penalty laps, no idea what position and I am sure slowly started to climb up until getting 2 black flags. One for passing under yellow, and one for going off the track. I pushed the car on Sunday morning as the track was a lot more open and I had now known it, and managed to pull off the FTD of 1:21.299, beating the Flying Spaghetti Monster by 0.005. Felt like being back at an autocross. About an hour into the 2nd driver's stint something messed up with the clutch. We had thought it was just bad shifter cable bushings and borrowed some from Rob (thanks again!), but it still didn't fix it. It appeared working but not fully releasing, even after adjusting the pedal. We're thinking something broke, perhaps a spring, and it is jammed in there not allowing the clutch disc to fully release. At that point, with no spare parts, and a bit involved job on a MR2, we called it quits. The car will be back at Summit and hopefully make it through the whole race. If I'm not mistaken, they might take it to Charlotte, but I won't be there.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #32
Kupop
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #999

My Ride:

dsmtuner, go to www.24hoursoflemons.com and read the rules. Then, read them a second, and third time. Also, they have their own forum which you can find more information out and ask questions there.

You are some what correct. The car's value needs to be $500 or less, excluding safety items. You can buy a $800 car, and sell $400 worth of parts from it, making it a $400 car. You can then spend up to $100 and be within budget. Safety items include the cage, steering wheel, seat (bracket, slider), harness, fire extinguisher/system, cool suit, fans, ect. It also includes wheels, tires, and brakes. As far as I know they are still unlimited on LeMons, where as ChumpCar has a 2x rule (again from the last time I read them, I don't build the cars to need to know exactly) that the wheels, brakes, and some others need to be no more than 2x the price of the OEM item.

Gifted items, or extras laying around have their own way of being valued. I've seen it discussed on their forum but never really read into it.

You can do whatever you want, and use whatever you want. You can try to make the stuff look old if you want... When you come to the race the car will go through a legit safety inspection to make sure the cage and other items are okay. You then go through a BS inspection, where a select few judges review your car, ask about it, and what not. It is ultimately up to them to give you penalty laps or not. Sometimes proof of the build will help, other times it can even hurt you. You can bride the judges to try to let some things slide as well... alcohol, money, ect. These people have been around for a while now and know their stuff. They've seen what has been some what reliable in the past, and will judge off of that.

Besides looking on their site and forum, if you ever get the chance to just go to one of these events as a spectator that will be a very good idea. It will give you a better idea of how the whole thing works. You can also look to join an already formed team with a car. Often times on their forum there are teams looking for an extra person as maybe someone is now unable to do a race at the last moment.