TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery > Photography
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

70-200VR really bad rattle :(

I just picked up a 70-200VR and this was the sound I was greeted to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMso_21FRCs

this sucks, I have to send it back then find another one. The lens feels awesome if anyone really cares... freaking thing is like a rock. But apparently, the clunking sound are the VR servo's and apparently mine went really bad. I think UPS dropped the box.

Chris
cszakolczai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
bought it new or used? sounds lucky that you can return it.
can you have them send you 2 replacements and i'll take one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
bought it new or used? sounds lucky that you can return it.
can you have them send you 2 replacements and i'll take one?
haha I wish I could have 2 replacements. I bought it used seeing as how you can't find any place in the US that has it in stock new I think B&H had one a month ago but it sold out in 1 day and I didn't have the funds at that point I've been looking for a while for a new one but this lens isn't even that old, UPS beat the hell out of it delivering it to me. Every single picture I took was blurry as all hell.

Chris

Last edited by cszakolczai; 09-30-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

So a private seller is taking a return and giving you a refund? Thats impressive...
Why are they so backordered?

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
So a private seller is taking a return and giving you a refund? Thats impressive...
Why are they so backordered?
Yeah a private seller is a nice dude, he even filed the "paper work" through ebay, saying he will offer a refund once he gets the lens back. But out of all honesty, I had the lens for 3 hours and thats the noise I heard right away. Plus the lens due to the bad VR actually jumps when trying to focus.

They are incredibly backordered, supposedly Nikon cannot make them fast enough and they do not make them all year around. They only make them at certain times... I think thats the reason, not really sure. But B&H and Adorama are sold out, and Amazon wants to charge close to 2K which is insane.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
how close to 2k? canons version is $1700
Old 09-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TurboDSM View Post
how close to 2k? canons version is $1700
I got mine for less then 1700... but new from amazon, the lens is priced at 1898 so practically 1900 for the lens. At that point I'd just look for an 80-200AFS. The only problem is that the 70-200VR is such a high demand lens when you get it used its still around 1500.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

yea used canons are that much too. **** is ridic. i went with the non-image stabilizer to save some dough, plus i dont think i'll miss it shooting mainly sports. sorry to hear bout your lens though
Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
I was under the impression that they're not producing the 70-200mm VR anymore since a replacement is due. Could be hearsay, though. But it seems like Nikon is going to be replacing that and the 200-400 VR (there's a lens!) in the very near future.

Regardless, that really stinks, sorry to hear. I'm sure you were so excited about it and then this.

sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
why would they replace the 70-200?
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

prolly just an updated version coming out.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Yeah, just a version upgrade. They had many versions of the 80-200mm and I've talked to people who are convinced that Nikon is coming out with a second version of the 70-200 but really, who knows. I guess it would be to get rid of the vignetting at f2.8 on FX that the current lens has, and they'd do more of their magic coatings and maybe better VR. Either way, the current one is a fantastic lens.
And if I just bought one and it were broken I'd be bumminnnnn

sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
whitezenki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3121

My Ride:
1992 Nissan 240sx

Send a message via AIM to whitezenki
They still make them, but pro's buy them up as quick as nikon makes them.

As per Mr. Rockwell. lol I read his review when my school lent me one last week.

You gonna drive it, or buy it a dress?

whitezenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #14
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

i saw the gear your school lent you. thats awesome. go rutgers lol
Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #15
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

haha lets not blindly believe anything that ken rockwell says. there's a mix of good and bad info there.
i find it hard to believe that they wont be making a revision due to the vignetting on the new full frame cameras... but who knows if they would keep this one in production or not.
i bought my 80-200 afs for about $900 in 2004, and its been awesome. definitely gotten my money's worth

|

Quote:

|
Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #16
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

yeah it does suck, but its more of a let down now and a waiting game. I've heard rumors about an updated lens coming out as well, but out of all honesty Nikon is the slowest company when it comes to trying to produce lenses, especially this one. I would just wait until the new lens comes out and then buy a 70-200VR fairly cheap but I may be old and grey by the time Nikon releases the new lens. I think the 70-200VR is an amazing lens and the only reason I chose to go with it are because the 80-200 AFD is semi slow I've heard when it comes to sports. Next option would be the 80-200AFS but that lens runs about 1200 1300 bucks still! So I might as well have saved up a little longer and just bought the 70-200VR. I would love to see if they come down in price, but I sincerely doubt they will fall that quickly, especially at the rate they are being sold. And knowing my luck, when the new 70-200VR came out people would buy them up in a second and the old 70-200VR will go up in price. I just want this lens finally, its such a tease having it, than finding out its broken.

Also, the new 70-200VR is supposed to have the new Nano crystal technology that Nikon has and thats all I've heard. But by the time that lens comes out, I'll probably have put over 10,000 shots through this lens... when I finally get a decent copy. Good glass keeps its value, so hopefully the 70-200VR will hold its value.

Last edited by cszakolczai; 10-01-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

if nikon is anything like canon, it will. i just bought a 6yr old lens for slightly less than the value of a new one. and by slightly i mean 2-300 dollars lol. but still, its a pretty old lens. anyway, are there forums dedicated to nikon owners similar to POTN for canon users? you could always check there for a lens.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #18
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
ill buy it off you. i need one by jan!!! haha sucks man. at least you are getting to return it.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 AM   #19
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspek View Post
ill buy it off you. i need one by jan!!! haha sucks man. at least you are getting to return it.
haha, yeah I was going to ask the guy just to pay for the repairs, but lord knows how much that will cost seeing as how its the VR servo. I needed one by this week to shoot my girfriends brothers ice hockey game but I guess I'll have to put that on hold.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #20
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TurboDSM View Post
if nikon is anything like canon, it will. i just bought a 6yr old lens for slightly less than the value of a new one. and by slightly i mean 2-300 dollars lol. but still, its a pretty old lens. anyway, are there forums dedicated to nikon owners similar to POTN for canon users? you could always check there for a lens.
yeah they do have Nikon Forums, and I've been looking. I'll find another one. But as of right now I just want to get this settled.