TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
On Sale
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #869

K-Sport Coilovers?!? Anyone hear anything on these?

K-Sport 36 Way Fully Adjustable Coilovers w/ front Pillow Ball Mounts

Fully Height Adjustable (0"-4" drop) 36-Way Adjustable Ksport Coilover Kit. Ksport Kontrol Pro Fully Adjustable Coilover Kits provide the ultimate in suspension technology featuring its 36-way adjustable dampening, adjustable spring perch, adjustable body and pillow-ball mounts. The Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilover kit has been designed with professional road racing in mind offering extremely high value and performance. Ksport Suspension kits have been engineered to give you the ultimate street ride at any height by optimizing the combination of spring rate and dampening. No more bouncy coilovers that destroy your car over time, while giving you an annoying ride.

INCLUDES:

* 4 Pieces (2 front, 2 rear)
* 2 Height Adjustment Keys
* Damper Adjustment Keys
* Includes Front Pillow Ball Mounts and Rear Top Mounts

FEATURES:

* Spring Rate Front: 7 kg/mm - 390 lb/in
* Spring Rate Rear: 5 kg/mm - 280 lb/in

* Fits All 89-94 240sx/180sx/S13
* 36-way adjustable dampening
* Made from high quality 6061 Aluminum with T6 for increased hardness
* Compression/Rebound adjustable
* Adjustable spring perch for height adjustment
* Monotube High Pressure Design reduces oil leakage
* Electroplated body for protection from corrosion and rust
* Optimized combination of spring rate and dampening for the ultimate street ride.
* 3 Locking perch mechanism (2 for spring height, 1 for body height)
* Adjustable Strut Body Length allows you to adjust the height of the strut without suffering the loss of full strut extension
* Rubber Dust Sleeve protectors on each strut to ensure durability by protecting strut against contaminants
* 0"-4" Adjustable Height
* Built with Highest Quality Billet Components
* Fully Rebuildable Strut
* 100% Brand NEW
* One Year Limited Warranty

------------------

So my question is, has anyone dealt with these on a s13/s14 240sx?? Or any car. What is the quality? Any Complaints?
On Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #2
Gorilla Unit 33
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #532

My Ride:
Fly Mosca II w/pegs LOLZ

Send a message via AIM to Gorilla Unit 33
obeewon has them on his 240 ik believe. ask him what he thinks i know one of the struts were clickin on him when he turned but i havent seen him for a while so ur better off askin him
Old 06-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
ketchup!
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #656

My Ride:
Speedooo's Sister

I have a set on my civic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ketchup! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
US_R33
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #958

My Ride:
COTM April 2008

just remember, you get way you pay for

if you can wait a little while longer and save up $1200 you can get a nice set of Silk Road or Kei Office coilovers

both are far superior in comparison to K-Sports

- Daniel

US_R33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 AM   #5
Gorilla Unit 33
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #532

My Ride:
Fly Mosca II w/pegs LOLZ

Send a message via AIM to Gorilla Unit 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by US_R33

if you can wait a little while longer and save up $1200 you can get a nice set of Silk Road or Kei Office coilovers
x2 johnny thats so true. u rather have something riding nice and for a while rather then like **** and not for long
Old 06-05-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
igo4bmx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #592

My Ride:
2009 Audi A3 Quattro, 2008 BMW X5, 2003 WW Evo8, 2000 Turbo SOHC Civic

Send a message via AIM to igo4bmx
Quote:

- Daniel

+1 sort of.. ;)
I'm not really into spending money on new companies that haven't built a strong reputation, especially when it comes to suspension, which is a life depending mod!

I know a "good" company called omnipower made coilover setups for hondas- of course everyone jumped on the bandwagon and bought them because they were high quality... and things when down the drain when a drag racer was going down the strip and the shock broke and he crashed into a wall suffering with major injuries.
igo4bmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
US_R33
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #958

My Ride:
COTM April 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo4bmx
+1 sort of.. ;)
I'm not really into spending money on new companies that haven't built a strong reputation, especially when it comes to suspension, which is a life depending mod!

I know a "good" company called omnipower made coilover setups for hondas- of course everyone jumped on the bandwagon and bought them because they were high quality... and things when down the drain when a drag racer was going down the strip and the shock broke and he crashed into a wall suffering with major injuries.
while i agree with you that i'm not going to put my life in the hands of an unproven company.....Silk Road and Kei Office are used across Japan as well as here in the U.S. with very pleasing results, if i wasn't such a high end parts junkie i would put either one of these coilovers on my car

- Daniel

Old 06-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
ho1ywars
Tri-State Addict

Member #282

My Ride:
S14, EF, 600RR

Send a message via AIM to ho1ywars
Q (trueblue or somthing) has a set on his 91 s13. hes in new york right now but when he gets back ill tell him to check the thread.
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM   #9
Wiisass
Tri-State Addict

Member #744

Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
I have a set of D2's on my S13. They are supposedly pretty similar to the k-sports. I'm not saying they're good, but from what I've seen it seems that most of the "JDM" coilovers damping is pretty ****ty anyway.

The D2's had a problem with one of the early batches using the wrong oil and it would create some pops and other random noise in temperatures below 40*F. But that should be fixed now.

They're a decent deal, you do get what you pay for, but then again, I don't have enough experience with or data to say that the kei office dampers are worth whatever they're going for now. But they're all good for getting a car low and making it handle a little better. Then again, all of these aftermarket coilovers seem to raise the natural frequencies so high that is doesn't matter what the dampers doing. They all seem to stiffly sprung and not sufficiently damped no matter what. From the small amount of data that I've seen, most "JDM" companies will go overboard with rebound and go to soft with compression. This is an attempt to make the ride better while getting something out of the handling, but it doesn't always seem to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Just put the TIP In.

Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
US_R33
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #958

My Ride:
COTM April 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass
I have a set of D2's on my S13. They are supposedly pretty similar to the k-sports. I'm not saying they're good, but from what I've seen it seems that most of the "JDM" coilovers damping is pretty ****ty anyway.

The D2's had a problem with one of the early batches using the wrong oil and it would create some pops and other random noise in temperatures below 40*F. But that should be fixed now.

They're a decent deal, you do get what you pay for, but then again, I don't have enough experience with or data to say that the kei office dampers are worth whatever they're going for now. But they're all good for getting a car low and making it handle a little better. Then again, all of these aftermarket coilovers seem to raise the natural frequencies so high that is doesn't matter what the dampers doing. They all seem to stiffly sprung and not sufficiently damped no matter what. From the small amount of data that I've seen, most "JDM" companies will go overboard with rebound and go to soft with compression. This is an attempt to make the ride better while getting something out of the handling, but it doesn't always seem to work.
the thing that I think you, and in all honesty most people here in the States don't realize is that the majority of the Japanese companies that sell their products over here do not change their rebound/compression rates for U.S. road conditions. Thus, they are setup for Japanese roads, which are far superior to our roads here. That's why most Japanese coilovers appear to be too stiff here in the States when in fact they are setup idealy for the roads of Japan

Its just one of those things that we have to deal with if we want the better, higher end coilovers

as for the D2 coilovers, as you said, you do get what you pay for....when it comes to things like suspension components, wheels, brakes, and tires i prefer to save up more money so that I can buy the higher end products so I know that I am buying a product that has the R&D to back it up as well as the company's reputation and quality control to provide me with the piece of mind that the product is far less likely to fail when compared to the less expensive/knock-off products

- Daniel

Old 06-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Wiisass
Tri-State Addict

Member #744

It's not the difference between Japanese roads and US roads, it's what I've seen from comparing my own calculations and models to dyno plots that I've seen as well as feedback from people I know who have dynoed "JDm" coilovers. And from what I've seen the compression damping is pretty low on the JDM coilovers which, if they were designing for smoother surfaces, would be higher. So that just tells me that most companies don't put enough thought into dampers. I mean there is no jdm company that will send you shock dyno plots with your new coilovers.

Which are the higher end coilovers you keep mentioning?

About the D2's, I'm happy I bought them. The damping isn't horrible, and when I replace them with the shocks I'm building right now, I will have only spent 700 on my old setup instead of twice that for a not much better damper.

Just put the TIP In.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
CHR!S
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #460

My Ride:
2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Send a message via AIM to CHR!S
i have the ksports on my car with 11k front & 9k rear springs and i love it considering how stiff it is. fully adjustable coilovers for under $700, can't beat it.
btw: d2, ksport, and f&f main housing all are made by the same company. the only difference is color & spring rates
CHR!S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #13
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

I am pretty sure that these are made out of aluminum as well, where as most other coilover are made out of stronger steel. Many of the people I know that have bought these have had issues with the coilovers making odd noises.

-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #14
Wiisass
Tri-State Addict

Member #744

They were making the noise because of issues with the wrong fluid and cold weather as I mentioned earlier. The mounts are made of 6061 and the damper body is made of steel. If they are made out of Al or steel shouldn't matter.

Just put the TIP In.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #15
CHR!S
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #460

My Ride:
2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Send a message via AIM to CHR!S
mine didnt squeak all winter, and havent squeaked yet (knock on wood)
CHR!S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:06 AM   #16
philly_s14
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1398

My Ride:
1997 240SX

Quote:

- Daniel
or stance or KTS coilovers too which are also in the $1200 price range
philly_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote