TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
IzzyInsanity
Noob-Jersey

Member #17419

My Ride:
1996 BMW E36 Coupe

False Accusation of Donuts

I was stopped in a parking lot by an officer that told me that I and my friend had been spotted doing donuts/drifting by 2 people. I was in the culdesac and so was he, but neither of us were drifting. What had really happened is we were coming back from the store and we got lost, so we went to turn around in the culdesac. When turning, I guess somebody had heard our cars exhausts and thought that we were 2 teens just trying to spin wheels everywhere and do donuts. He turned around as normal, but when I turned around, I turned a little too fast and my rear had lost traction (it had been raining all day). My car is rear wheel drive, so I understand that it may have seemed like I was trying to drift, but in reality it was just a traction loss from turning a heavy car too quickly on a wet surface. As for my friend, he drives a civic, so his car is incapable of performing a donut. Neither of us stayed in the culdesac, all we did was enter, turn around, and then exited. After getting back to my school, I was just parking when a police car came and stopped in front of my car. No lights engaged, none of that. Just stopped. He asked me to tell him honestly if I knew why he had stopped, so I assumed that he had saw my car somehow, so I said "yeah, I assume you saw my car sliding." He didn't give me a chance to explain that it was accidental, and I was given a citation for "driving with careless discretion to others/self, drifting/donuts," and about 30 minutes later my friend received the same ticket. No points were given, but my problem is that my school was informed of the incident about it and is threatening to expel the both of us, which means I NEED to fight this. My question is this: Since the officer wasn't present for the incident, but was merely informed through a witness, how high are my chances of winning this since there is nothing to prove that we did anything? This happened in PA, and I have a MD license and registration/tags/etc. This is my first time ever receiving a citation, so I'm not really sure what to do. Any help/knowledge will help. Thank you.
IzzyInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

go to court, talk to the officer and judge explain your situation and tell your side of the story
Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
IzzyInsanity
Noob-Jersey

Member #17419

My Ride:
1996 BMW E36 Coupe

That was my intention, but the main question is "he said she said" count as proof that I did anything wrong?

Also, if my school does terminate me, and I am somehow proven guilty, doesn't that count as double jepoardy, since technically I'm being punished for the same charge twice? Or does it not count since even though the school and surrounding law enforcement only the school is privately owned?

(Just to clarify, when I said "I was in the culdesac and so was he," I was referring to my friend, not the officer. The only sign of the police was after I had gotten back.)
Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

A person that reported you doing donuts will have to show up at court to testify to what they saw

I do not know your schools policy about rules for termination if you getting a traffic ticket is ground for them to can you or not. Did the incident happen on school property?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
IzzyInsanity
Noob-Jersey

Member #17419

My Ride:
1996 BMW E36 Coupe

Only the issuing of the ticket, the "donut" was a neighborhood.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

I don't see how the school can have a policy that if you receive a traffic citation that is is ground for expulsion but that is something I have no insight into you need to ask them