TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

HOLY ****! WTF is that?!?!

For those of you who didn't read about it, the oil pump in my 240sx took a **** a couple weeks ago and I finally had a weekend to work on the car. I needed to pull off the lower timing chain cover and drop the oil pan to get to the oil pump...

Well **** me hard...in doing so I found this in my ****ing oil pan!!!

What the **** is that?!?!

I can only assume it's some kind of oil squirting assembly for the bottom end! Can anyone identify what the **** these parts are actually to and school me on where they're actually located and how to replace them?

Needless to say I'm pretty ****ing pissed right now. And clearly one of these bolts took a ****ing beating...

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

So all in all I think it's pretty safe my lack of oil pressure wasn't due to a faulty oil pump.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
That was really all in your oil pan? Dear lord... I dont know what it is, but its not good.
No strange noises from the motor leading up to this?
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
That was really all in your oil pan? Dear lord... I dont know what it is, but its not good.
No strange noises from the motor leading up to this?
Yeah dude, ****ing tell me about it.

To recap...I was on my way to work one day driving down a 45 mph road with stop and go red light traffic. I was stopped at a red light and as it turned green, my oil light came on. Roughly less than an 1/8 mile away was a gas station so I pulled in there and shut my car off. As I was pulling in I could start to hear valve train chatter that's typical to lack of oil. So I shut her down and called a tow truck and had it towed home. Now, the motor that's in the car was rebuilt about 3 years ago by HRT down in NC. They rebuilt the entire motor with all forged internals and slightly lowered the compression with the intention of boosting it. I know that they "visually inspect" the factory oil pumps before installing them. So I just assumed the oil pump had finally had it and needed to be replaced. And that's what I did...today. But low and ****ing behold, it seems my problem wasn't the pump at all. So now I have a much bigger task on my hands.

Quote:

Last edited by twastheglow; 08-01-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Does no one honestly know what those parts are to?

Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
ho1ywars
Tri-State Addict

Member #282

My Ride:
S14, EF, 600RR

Send a message via AIM to ho1ywars
and i though my nissan was in bad shape when i found a nut in the oil pan, and three teeth in the trans..
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

I don't know if I'm missing what I'm looking for or what, but I didn't find either of those parts in the FSM!!! What the hell.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
I'm sure some guys who have build Nissan motors will be able to figure out what that stuff is, or it might become obvious to you as you dig into it.

Looks like those 2 rods at the top might have once been a part of the ring on the left, and the 2 half rings go together... then ya got a 12 point bolt and a banjo bolt. Hmmmmm....
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
I'm sure some guys who have build Nissan motors will be able to figure out what that stuff is, or it might become obvious to you as you dig into it.

Looks like those 2 rods at the top might have once been a part of the ring on the left, and the 2 half rings go together... then ya got a 12 point bolt and a banjo bolt. Hmmmmm....
Precisely. They definately do. I don't have any pieces that don't make a complete piece...so that's good I guess. I may only have to replace the two banjo bolts and whatever the **** those two alien looking things are. lol

Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
gtsiawd96
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #227

My Ride:
1995 Eagle talon Tsi Awd

Send a message via AIM to gtsiawd96
I have no Nissan experience at all. But if I had to make a logical guess. I would say they are the oil squirters used to cool the bottoms of the pistons. They sit at the bottom of the cylinders are tapped into the main bearing oil passages and squirt oil onto the bottom of the pistons to cool them down. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

1995 Tsi AWD
307awhp@24psi
Track numbers coming soon.
gtsiawd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

...dude, your engine took such a big ****, things started growing in it.

I think you just killed a Transformer.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsiawd96 View Post
I have no Nissan experience at all. But if I had to make a logical guess. I would say they are the oil squirters used to cool the bottoms of the pistons. They sit at the bottom of the cylinders are tapped into the main bearing oil passages and squirt oil onto the bottom of the pistons to cool them down. Good luck.
Assuming that you're right...and I assume you are, how difficult is it to get them to replace them? How would I go about doing it?

Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
gtsiawd96
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #227

My Ride:
1995 Eagle talon Tsi Awd

Send a message via AIM to gtsiawd96
Honestly I'm not sure I've never had a Nissan motor apart personally so I can't paint a perfect picture. Hopefully one of the Nissan guru's can help.

But if I had to guess also, there should be four oil squirters one of them one for each piston, and they should all be installed the same way. So if you have the oil pan down already, I would get under the engine get some good lighting and start looking for the other two. They should be installed like I said at the bottom of each of the cylinders.. So look right past the crank at the left and right of each cylinder bottom, and see if you see any open bolt holes, where those two fell off, than look in the cylinders for the oil sqiurters and see.

Most likely they backed out and fell down and where hit by the crankshaft as it spun by, the reason for that gouge out of the bolt.. So inspect the crank/rods/ bottoms of pistons and everything else for damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

1995 Tsi AWD
307awhp@24psi
Track numbers coming soon.
gtsiawd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #14
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

I never knew squirters to be that large.

Unless it just LOOKS large.

Last I saw them, they were tiny as ****. I haven't looked into the LY7 internals yet, but I know it has them too.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsiawd96 View Post
Honestly I'm not sure I've never had a Nissan motor apart personally so I can't paint a perfect picture. Hopefully one of the Nissan guru's can help.

But if I had to guess also, there should be four oil squirters one of them one for each piston, and they should all be installed the same way. So if you have the oil pan down already, I would get under the engine get some good lighting and start looking for the other two. They should be installed like I said at the bottom of each of the cylinders.. So look right past the crank at the left and right of each cylinder bottom, and see if you see any open bolt holes, where those two fell off, than look in the cylinders for the oil sqiurters and see.

Most likely they backed out and fell down and where hit by the crankshaft as it spun by, the reason for that gouge out of the bolt.. So inspect the crank/rods/ bottoms of pistons and everything else for damage.
You're 100% right on bro. I found this picture which backs up everything you just said to a "t"!

So I guess my question is whether I'll have room to reinstall 2 new ones without having to remove the crank etc. I would REALLY like to get this taken care of WITHOUT pulling the ****ing motor. What are your thoughts gtsi...doable?

Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
russiankid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #7769

My Ride:
2012 Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to russiankid
Looking at the pic, I think it can be done with the proper position of the crank i.e. the rods being in the way.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
grmreapr
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6122

My Ride:
rps13

I hate to tell you but that's two oil squirter's right there. As for putting them in there your gonna have to tear down the whole motor and remove the crank no question. I would also be worried about your piston's and your walls to make sure everything is ok and it doesnt need to be repolished or bored out or worst case your block is effed.
grmreapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
sherwood
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2221

My Ride:
arggg 32, vr jetta.

Send a message via AIM to sherwood
o you so ****ed!
Quote:
But I am sure the exhaust is angled for back pressure to have a faster spool-up for larger size turbochargers @ low RPM
sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #19
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
http://kdough.net/files/****ED.jpg
Old 08-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
morgans432
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5431

My Ride:
91 sentra se-r and 93 sentra se-r

you can do it with the crank in there been there done that haha. just have to turn the crank by hand and get it into a position where you can fish it in there. Is it fun to do with the crank in there no, is it easier to take the crank out yes. You can keep the motor in just take the whole bottom end off until you can slide the crank out. I would examine the crank for visible marks because that one bolt took a beating and prob messed some things up along the way.

Last edited by morgans432; 08-02-2009 at 12:46 AM.
morgans432 is offline   Reply With Quote