TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Welding and Fabrication Thread

Hey guys, i noticed a few other forums had threads like this so i figured id start one here since i noticed quite a few members enjoy making there own parts like me.

Use this thread to show off your skills/equipment, pictures of things YOU made,talk about processes, and give constructive criticism and tips.

I myself have just picked up a Tig welder and will update in a bit with some of my first welds.

remember fabrication is making just about anything yourself, so post it up!

enjoy.

edit:
first welds on my new machine: hobart 165 ez -tig, 100% argon,60-80 amps on 304 stainless tubing scrap from work, 308 stainless filler rod.

i know that I'm getting it too hot since i've had some practice at work, we use really thin wire there(I'm not sure on the exact measurement), and the thinest i was able to find in stock was 1/16th". to melt the filler into the puddle i have to go slower or else i get the filler stuck to the piece but then it heats up the tubing too much.... i guess it just takes practice, I'm going to try and pick up some thinner filler

heres the best i was able to do, but only for an inch or so..

Last edited by rocknrace03; 05-05-2012 at 10:14 PM.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...d.php?t=118462
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
I did the same thing when I started out. Because you are trying to weld with such large welding rod, you're having to run way too many amps or else it sticks.

Get yourself some .035 and some .045 rod. I use .035 pretty much exclusively for thin wall tubing. I usually set the machine to about 45, start in hot and back off as the metal heat soaks. Really only welding with about 30-35 amps once I start moving. You'll never melt 1/16" with 35amps, I use 1/16" when I'm around 125A+!

~75 is when you start getting into single passing schedule 10/40 pipe while building manifolds and whatnot. ;)

I'll post some random stuff in here later.

"

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
I did the same thing when I started out. Because you are trying to weld with such large welding rod, you're having to run way too many amps or else it sticks.

Get yourself some .035 and some .045 rod. I use .035 pretty much exclusively for thin wall tubing. I usually set the machine to about 45, start in hot and back off as the metal heat soaks. Really only welding with about 30-35 amps once I start moving. You'll never melt 1/16" with 35amps, I use 1/16" when I'm around 125A+!

~75 is when you start getting into single passing schedule 10/40 pipe while building manifolds and whatnot. ;)

I'll post some random stuff in here later.

"
thanks aaron, yeah, the guys i work with are nuts,they leave the machines at 150 and just pedal it the whole time,but i guess when you weld exhaust tubing 8 hours a day for a decade you can... I'm happy just playing for now, def gonna pick up some .035 and also some steel filler too so i can try some sheet metal just for kicks. I'm always interested in your fab work, and hopefully other members show off their skills too!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
SHOdude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21991

My Ride:
1990 SHO RIP:(, MKIII Supra

Any one know where to pick up a cheap mig?

Quote:
Damn, you must be allowing her to drive outside of the kitchen with all those wants. Next thing she's gonna do is learn NO.
SHOdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
enigma
Tri-State Addict

Member #2659

My Ride:
Hoopties galore

Send a message via AIM to enigma
You can get a fairly cheap lincoln at home depot, but i'm wary of buying anything other than the big brands, simply because the off brands use odd, hard to find parts, like tips, cups, and stingers.
Heres a quick bracket I reworked for my coil mount on my harley-

Downpipe for my talon

Last edited by enigma; 05-05-2012 at 10:59 PM.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
thanks aaron, yeah, the guys i work with are nuts,they leave the machines at 150 and just pedal it the whole time,but i guess when you weld exhaust tubing 8 hours a day for a decade you can... I'm happy just playing for now, def gonna pick up some .035 and also some steel filler too so i can try some sheet metal just for kicks. I'm always interested in your fab work, and hopefully other members show off their skills too!
No prob dude! Yeah, some people like leaving the machine turned way up and pedaling it. I just don't it, you get much finer control of the machine if you set it to just over what you want and work the pedal. If you're trying to work with 150 amps of power and you need 30, you have to fine tune heat with speed and filler, and that sucks lol.

Enigma's advice is good on the MIG. The little Lincoln unit at Home Depot is perfect, even completely n00bs to welding can lay down half decent beads with it without much practice.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
Any one know where to pick up a cheap mig?
i have a lincoln handy mig, it runs off any 110 outlet, can use flux core or shielding gas, i just tried it today with gas since i finally got a bottle for the tig and decided to hook it up for a second, works decent, but its very primitive as far as shielding goes, but it works. and flux always worked great for me in the past too. its like 350$ or so? but it may be worth it to spend 500 or so on the next model up for a little more control in amperage and wire feed
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
SHOdude
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21991

My Ride:
1990 SHO RIP:(, MKIII Supra

I would want a wire feed cause it's what I'm best with. Thanks for the info man

Quote:
Damn, you must be allowing her to drive outside of the kitchen with all those wants. Next thing she's gonna do is learn NO.
SHOdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

spent another hour or so playing, this was my best, i took my grinder to the filler rod a bit to thin it out, ordered some .035 for next weekend
its actually a joint btw, not just a bead rolled pipe

color/heat soak is better, but still "over cooked" and tacking is my worst nightmare, for some reason i can have 2 good tacks, and on the third not get the puddles to join, a bit frustrating lol
Old 05-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Send a message via AIM to cmr076
Looks good! Hang around tony as much as possible and get as much advise as you can, he is the most talented welder we have and can teach you a lot.
cmr076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
Looks good! Hang around tony as much as possible and get as much advise as you can, he is the most talented welder we have and can teach you a lot.
I'm trying to pick up as much as possible, but some of the "awkward" positions are tough, but everyone in the shop is very helpful with everything i do especially tony! I'm just gonna take it all in and continue to just borrow scrap to practice on at home on the weekends, and hopefully by the time we get in the new building ill be able to have my own bench and build some of the simpler parts.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Quote:
I'm trying to pick up as much as possible, but some of the "awkward" positions are tough, but everyone in the shop is very helpful with everything i do especially tony! I'm just gonna take it all in and continue to just borrow scrap to practice on at home on the weekends, and hopefully by the time we get in the new building ill be able to have my own bench and build some of the simpler parts.
That would be awesome! Talk to rob and billy too, both are very knowlegable and helpful, tony is actually going to show me the basics with welding as its something I've been wanting to learn forever.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
That would be awesome! Talk to rob and billy too, both are very knowlegable and helpful, tony is actually going to show me the basics with welding as its something I've been wanting to learn forever.
yeah they all are great welders, and that good to hear, its definitely fun, even when you suck, your still smiling. you'll do fine I'm sure, I've only probably had 4 hours of welding time tops, and occasionally i can get welds that are awesome... and other times not so much, still have to meet you dude. are you "the last smoker" in the building from the meeting the other day lol?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
cmr076
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2319

My Ride:
S4

Quote:
yeah they all are great welders, and that good to hear, its definitely fun, even when you suck, your still smiling. you'll do fine I'm sure, I've only probably had 4 hours of welding time tops, and occasionally i can get welds that are awesome... and other times not so much, still have to meet you dude. are you "the last smoker" in the building from the meeting the other day lol?
haha that would be me. im not actually the last one, just the last one that doesnt lie about it lol.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

Quote:
haha that would be me. im not actually the last one, just the last one that doesnt lie about it lol.
haha! yeah, i see brad sneaking some in the mornings before work, but at least i know who to look for now, i was the young kid, who had no idea what a 401k was... haha!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Gonna try to run a few passes tomorrow after work to post up here for fun.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
holla@cha_boy
Tri-State Addict

Member #21944

My Ride:
2011 wrx

I never learned tig, always wanted to. I started stick and mig welding when I was 15 and I loved it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to weld in about 2 years

Quote:
My car remote died. I had to insert my key into the lock like some kind of animal.
holla@cha_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
grimm
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3058

Send a message via AIM to grimm
My father in law is going to teach me to weld as we work on a project of mine.

i'm curious about making true 90* corners, should i build a small wooden jig or is it fairly easy to keep things plum?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
holla@cha_boy
Tri-State Addict

Member #21944

My Ride:
2011 wrx

jigs are nice but you can always just tack it in place (you can still move the metal around), plum it up, then finish weld

Quote:
My car remote died. I had to insert my key into the lock like some kind of animal.
holla@cha_boy is offline   Reply With Quote