TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Vendor Marketplace > [TST] Vendors > Bonehead Performance
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
the mike
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #19

My Ride:
1991 Toyota Previa!!!

Send a message via AIM to the mike Send a message via Yahoo to the mike
Powdercoating options?

What's up guys, had a few quick questions for you.
First off, do you do a low temp option on powdercoating? I have heard a few stories of guys getting aluminium wheels powdercoated and the actual process, heat wise, changed the makeup of the metal causing it to become brittle and prone to cracking.
The reason I ask is I would, possibly, be interested in getting my winter wheels(stock ENKEI's) powdercoated gold, but that is a major concern of mine, considering how hard we drive in the winter.

Also what does something like that run, price wise?

Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated.

mike
Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
i actually talked to chuck about this at the diner that night and he explained it to me and said it was safe, i'll let him chime in though and give you the full explanation of it.
bryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
boneheadperformance
Vendor

Member #382

Send a message via AIM to boneheadperformance
I have been coating for over 3 years now and I have never heard of anything happening like that before. The only way that something like this can happen is if you overheat the metal. Powder coat is heated on the part at 450 degrees until it glosses over and then baked for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. If you overheat the part for too long or too high of a temperature, this could happen to aluminum. I do about 1-5 sets of wheels per month and have never seen this happen though. There is no low temp powder coat, only high temp for doing headers, exhaust manifold etc. Pricing depends on what size the wheel is. You can check out www.boneheadperformance.com for pricing. If you want chrome, chrome smoke (gunmetal) or a high tech color, there is a 50% charge because it is a 2 step process. Feel free to call the shop at 215-295-4350 if you need to reach me.
Chuck
boneheadperformance is offline   Reply With Quote