TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Engine Performance
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #1
caldwell
Tri-State Addict

Member #8072

My Ride:
2012 Dodge Ram

Octane booster ?

I own a bone stock 89 supra turbo that i just purchased last week, when i went to the gas station - i put 93 octane in my tank - i figured ok the car has been sitting awhile,plus being a sports car better gas will help clean out my " engine " a lil bit and maybe slight performance ?????, and help my car in essense come back to life...

i hear if i want to upgrade my car - i should run 93 or higher + octane booster...

heres what i plan to do with the car over the next 6 monthes -

INTAKE - FULL EXHAUST ( whole 9 yards ) - upgrade INTERCOOLER - IGNITION ( plugs, wires etc. ) - BRAKES ( rotors pads lines etc. ) - LOWERING SPRINGS ( temporary ) - i guess im looking for about 30 - 50 HP with these parts ????????

let me know about the possible HP gain PLZ thanks...

BUT BACK ON SUBJECT - with those upgrades do i really need to run OCTANE BOOSTER ?????????? - im new to tuning cars - I FINALLY HAVE ONE TO TUNE LOL

comment or discuss - im really looking to learn a few tips and tricks about TUNING CARS

thanks everyone...
caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
timp
Tri-State Addict

Member #8001

My Ride:
1970 VW Karmann Ghia, 1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Send a message via AIM to timp
here's an article I think might be helpful:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Octane-Boo...Them&id=802568
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
2drStunner
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2009

My Ride:
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0T and 2008 Honda CBR1000rr

Send a message via AIM to 2drStunner
I dont pretend to be as knowledgeable as some people on here but I say that 93 is fine for a Supra. Always run super in a turbo car. But IMO octane booster is a waste of money.
you're car looks so deliciously good possibly better then the cereal i'm about to eat.
2drStunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
DocEwww
Tri-State Addict

Member #1287

My Ride:
'99 WS.6 / '07 TBSS

OB raises octane by 1/10th of a point. Oh yea....you NEED it.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
93 is fine. But make sure you add a boost controller/boost gauge on that list.
start reading:
www.supraforums.com
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
balagast
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #8047

My Ride:
1990 All Trac Celica

Yeah you are fine with 93 oct in that car ... especially is you aren't raising the boost yet. Also +1 on a Boost controller and Boost gauge.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
caldwell
Tri-State Addict

Member #8072

My Ride:
2012 Dodge Ram

TIMP - that article was extremely helpful - thanks alot - it cleared up alot !!

also thanks all of you guys for giving your imput on the subject - i appreciate it - and i didnt know i needed a boost controller for those mods, i dont plan on boosting the turbo right away, but thanks for the heads up !!!!!

danny
Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
balagast
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #8047

My Ride:
1990 All Trac Celica

Well on the topic of the boost controller ... I'm not sure on the 7mgte, but the ct26 in my car (3sgte engine) is like 6psi stock boost. One of the first things I did when I began modding my car is up the boost from there to 11psi. I'm not 100% certain with the supra what safe is, but I imagine the boost can be upped to some degree. I would check out those forums, i'm sure the people there would know a lot more. But either way, a manual boost controller is like 50 bucks and it is really easy to do. Oh and definitely first thing I would do is get an aftermarket boost gauge installed. If the supra ones are anything like the ones in the all trac, it is a POS.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Willdue
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2000

My Ride:
To many VW's

Send a message via AIM to Willdue
Depends really, With turbo cars Id run at least mid grade, I run 93 octane, but thats because of my tune. I would say just run 92, no booster unless your going big PSI. And remember, once you run that grade, stick with it.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Always run the highest octane at the pump for boosted cars. There dynamic compression is much much higher than any N/A engine.

Next thing to know is that a higher octane does not do anything in the sense of "cleaning" or "aiding" a car in making power. In the simplest way of putting it, higher octane is harder to ignite and less prone to preignition. In other words, the gas itself does not increase power, it only allows for more timing/boost/nitrous/etc which will in turn make more power.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
92sileighty
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #6020

My Ride:
05 S2000

theres a sunoco on 202 and west chester pike i think that has a 110 octance pump... octane booster is a waste of money though, if u really need a boost what u can do is put in a TINY amount of kerosene, and i mean tiny, that will raise ur octane without havin to waste money
92sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
bjune
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7882

heres what u do first u should run knothing but 93 or higher turbochargered car demand burns better fast with the boost 2 you have a supra 7mgte now when u do the exhaust it will give a increase in boost so i would defently run 93 or higher and octane booster dont work the only one that work was the black nos bottle but the other nos has works as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

bjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #13
Action Park
Tri-State Addict

Member #2802

My Ride:
bug and a rabbit

Meth/water injection . Detonation suppression and clean your engine to boot .
93 93/93
Action Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #14
PhillySVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #7434

My Ride:
Ford Raptor

Those octane boosters you see in pep boys (or other similiar stores) are crap. If you need to up you octane Torco works. I run some in almost every tank just in case I have to turn the boost up a little. It will eat up o2 sensors and plugs but at least I have the peace of mind of running 98-100 octane on pump gas. +1 on a boost controller + gauge.

PS the gas station on 202 and route 1 is 101 octane if I remember correcty. I have filled up their a couple times.
^seriously........ when you drive a 15 second car you dont really "smoke" any car....you casually gain ground.
PhillySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
screamingdsm
Tri-State Addict

Member #465

My Ride:
Volvo

Send a message via AIM to screamingdsm
Go to a paint store like ace hardware and pick up some toulene or tolune. Its 116 octane by itself. When i run it i use a 3 gallons of 93 to one gallon of that which concentrates it to 100 octane. Dont run it straight. Thats really all octane booster is, but in a little bottle so that make mad money off nothing

You can also go buy 100 octane race gas

you can run 10 11 psi on that before hitting fuel cut. Then you will need to get this thing called a fuel cut defenser or a Vein pressure converter HKS makes them. I would go more for the vpc, and a apexi afc. Do the intercooler and all hard pipes, a fuel pump and crank the boost to 15 16psi (some people have ran more but its out of the efficency range supositly but times talk at the track) Get a 3 inch inlet turbo muffler off ebay, and get a exhaust shop to do a 3 inch exhaust with minimum bends. Get a good downpipe, and she will rip. Head gaskets are stupid on those cars, so that might be in due.

My buddy did a ebay super t70 turbo kit on his mk3, on 16psi the car went 13.0@118 on street tires spinning though 3rd!

Last edited by screamingdsm; 07-18-2008 at 04:35 PM.
screamingdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
PhillySVT
Tri-State Addict

Member #7434

My Ride:
Ford Raptor

above poster speaks the truth on the toulene....I just haven't had the guts to try it. Tons of info on it if you google it.
^seriously........ when you drive a 15 second car you dont really "smoke" any car....you casually gain ground.
PhillySVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
caldwell
Tri-State Addict

Member #8072

My Ride:
2012 Dodge Ram

thanks everyone for your input on the subject i really appreciate it - also thank you guys who posted local gas stations with the racing fuel... my cuz will benefit from this also - he says thanks as well !!

danny