TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > European > Audi / Volkswagen Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #41
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
i am VERY confident that the car could easily be fixed, the only problem is how do i get it from Portland to here? anyone have any hookups with car shippers or know of any place that will do it for relatively cheap? i'd hate to double the cost of the car after i pay for shipping on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #42
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

so this is pretty much exactly what i want. its not for sale or anything but its what i'd be aiming for... simple but badass.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #43
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

^ bad ass!
Broken5hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #44
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
so this is pretty much exactly what i want. its not for sale or anything but its what i'd be aiming for... simple but badass.

I'd like this to be white with black flares and a mk1 gti grill.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #45
SmokeyBandit
Tri-State Addict

Member #194

Check out L&T Enterprizes in Allentown. They have some used car FS also. They also happen to be a VW parts recycler.

What some people are now doing is TDI swaps. Get a 99-03 TDI motor...chip & injectors are already good for about the 250-ish lb-ft range, AND still get excellent fuel economy. I still consistently get around 55 mpg on the highway on road trips.

If you want the car to handle, yet forgiving in crappy PA & NJ (and NYC) streets--- www.srsvw.com

I have also seen MK3 Dash swaps and MK4 Dash swaps also
Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #46
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

thanks for the tips... i'm mainly looking for gas mileage but i dont really want any big projects with this car. i figure i should be able to get about 30mph as is which is pretty sweet. i guess if anything happened to the motor in the future i'd look into a tdi swap though if it was pretty straightforward.
the two i listed above were both sold today... damnit. i know that if i'm patient enough the right thing will come along though so everyone just keep an eye out and cross your fingers for me.

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #47
LilRedVDub
Tri-State Addict

Member #1708

My Ride:
2005 1/2 mk4 VW Jetta GLI

Send a message via AIM to LilRedVDub Send a message via Yahoo to LilRedVDub
I know so many people with dubs and people selling theirs to get other ones. If you want help, just ask.

"Dub chicks do it better!!!"
LilRedVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #48
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

IBTrollBuysATonOfRimsForIt
Old 06-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #49
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

hell yeah i will, haha. i'm planning to get springs and maybe struts, a sweet single round headlight/grill conversion, and balllllller wheels. and when i pluralize the word wheel by adding an "s" i'm not necessarily talking about only 4 of them
oh and thats it, not planning on any other major mods, it is gonna be the dd after all. and i'm writing this out right now because it will be funny to look back on in a year or so, haha.

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #50
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedVDub View Post
I know so many people with dubs and people selling theirs to get other ones. If you want help, just ask.
yeah definitely looking for help from the local vw kids... for right now, if you know of any minty mk2 GTIs around, let me know... preferably black and well maintained.
once i get it, i'm sure i'll be trying to learn from the people around here so i can get edumacated on all things vdub. in da house. couldnt resist.

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #51
Broken5hift
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #397

My Ride:
08 Scion Xb & 06 TSX

you might have to change your avatar to that VW guy now brian
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #52
LilRedVDub
Tri-State Addict

Member #1708

My Ride:
2005 1/2 mk4 VW Jetta GLI

Send a message via AIM to LilRedVDub Send a message via Yahoo to LilRedVDub
Quote:
yeah definitely looking for help from the local vw kids... for right now, if you know of any minty mk2 GTIs around, let me know... preferably black and well maintained.
once i get it, i'm sure i'll be trying to learn from the people around here so i can get edumacated on all things vdub. in da house. couldnt resist.
Whenever you want! I know them all. My hubby is a dub freak. He owns 3 rite now but has owned 50. He is also a certified vw tech. So whatever you want to know just ask. He will be glad to help

"Dub chicks do it better!!!"
LilRedVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #53
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:
94 GTI - Br0ke, 98 GTI - Stock..

Send a message via AIM to naDintheHat
Thats what im talking about. You should love it, and if the engine does ever crap out on ya, you could probably pick up a replacement on the vortex or do the tdi swap (crazy gas mileage FTW!)
Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #54
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
What about a mkIII Jetta?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #55
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

there is no substitution for the mk2 gti

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #56
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:
94 GTI - Br0ke, 98 GTI - Stock..

Send a message via AIM to naDintheHat
Quote:
there is no substitution for the mk2 gti
Esp if the color of the mk2 is black. Man i want one so bad.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #57
BradC
Tri-State Addict

Member #1083

My Ride:
Boosted NA/2000 SAAB 9-5

Send a message via AIM to BradC
Quote:
Originally Posted by naDintheHat View Post
Esp if the color of the mk2 is black. Man i want one so bad.
Word. That was one of the first cars I worked on. My friend in HS had a black 86 GTi. I loved that car...still makes me smile
Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #58
Action Park
Tri-State Addict

Member #2802

My Ride:
bug and a rabbit

For a cruiser, I'd pick a 8v over the 1.8 16v. You do'nt feel the difference until it's tached up. Both motors are quite robust internally(well, except for my old one), but the ancillaries(alt,pumps, little stuff) tend to go if original.

When you look at a prospect, it's quite easy to determine if a mk2 is a basketcase or not. Be certain all the hoses are good with no vacuum leaks or anything. Obviously, make sure the headgasket is'nt leaking and the cooling system is up to snuff. When you test drive it, go into 5th gear(do'nt even ponder the auto tranny). Worn shift rod bushings or a linkage problem are very common. You will probably prefer a digifant car for a daily. I like cis better, but digi has more consistant mannerisms. Oh yeah, if the door handles work, you found a prime example! The build quality of these cars, in regards to the trim and such, is very hit and miss. You either get a very solid car, or one where the bumpers, external trim, and dash pieces fall off on a daily basis. Really prod around for rust as well. On the test drive, listen for a klunking sound over bumps.

Although I'm an aircooled person through and through, mk2's have always held a place in my anahata chakra. I dailied a '91 jetta carat for a while. Got it at a donation lot for 600 bucks. Power windows, sunroof, nice for what it was. Excellent cruiser until I lost oil pressure and sold it to someone who was gonna do a vr swap(he never got around to it). Did good for 600 though. Had an 88 jetta gl as well for about a week until I stupidly gave it to someone to use until he could pay me for it. Ha, how can I forget Dumborah's '88 jetta gl auto! Good times in that car. Good luck on your purchase. I'll also keep a look out for an example.
93 93/93

Last edited by Action Park; 06-15-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Action Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #59
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Park View Post
if the door handles work, you found a prime example!

lol, this is completely true. Opening the doors on a MKII GTi is an art, you need to squeeze the little lever perfectly or they won't open.

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #60
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

no real new developments in the search.

this one is perfect... its local, black, a 91, well maintained, and just suspension, grill/lights, and wheels (which i'd change). only problem is that its $4200... quite a bit more than others i've seen, but also admittedly in better looking condition.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3112469

i contacted him to talk price, etc.

|

Quote:

|