TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > European > Audi / Volkswagen Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #21
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Troll, if you're serious talk to Rob with the purple Type-R swapped Civic tonight at the meet. He's had 6 or 7 MKII Gti's, and still has a red one that is going to be getting a VR6 swap. He'll be able to answer any questions you have.

Awesome choice BTW. Those cars are an absolute BLAST to drive quickly, even stock. The MKIII's aren't nearly as fun. I've been toying with the same idea.

<---- 190,000 mile WRX - Gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MuddyREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #22
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Yeah I'm definitely stuck on getting a Mk2... I've always liked GTI's but for one that I don't care about speed, this one has the most style in my eyes for sure.
I think I'd just like to be patient (or lucky?) and find a gem... the one thats just in particularly good condition. Pricing on them for ones in ok condition seems to be 1500-2000, good condition seems to be 2000-2500, and really good condition is rare but they seem to be like 3500ish.

and yeah tell Rob to go tonight if he wasn't planning to already. I'd love to pick his brain and see if he knows of anything in the area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #23
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

He's a huge VW guy that now drives a Civic?!?!?, but he has so much VW knowledge it's crazy. I just sent him a text to see you tonight.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #24
dubjinc
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4368

My Ride:
93' civic

I got my corrado slc for $6000 with 90,000 miles, beatiful paint, and interior was immaculate. But the sunroof didn't work, some of the dash lights decided not to work sometimes. The electrical systems are crazy, but for a 93 it had fully adjustable seats, up, down, recline, forward, and backward. Not to mention the windows go up when you hold the key in the lock position on the door the little things like that, make vdubs unique..what i'm trying to say is vw's have a lot of personality, and there designs are timeless, especially on their older models. I think its a great idea.
dubjinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #25
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:
94 GTI - Br0ke, 98 GTI - Stock..

Send a message via AIM to naDintheHat
Troll go with the mk2 GTI, i love the way they look. If you can get it with the 2.0 in it and drive it like a grandma you can get crazy gas mileage. The pic you posted up earlier was one hell of a clean car. I get decent gas mileage out of my 8v 2.0. But beware they do have small little annoying problems, but if you arnt worried about that so much the motor should last you forever with regular maintenance. 140K and still pulling strong.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #26
Snoozie
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1887

+1 for talking to Rob. He gave me great info/advice when I had my Beetle and is a really nice guy.

"Everyone learns faster on fire." - Alkaline Trio
Snoozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #27
andru1313
Tri-State Aficionado

Location: with my true love or my Garage which ever is warmer
Member #717

My Ride:
2004 VW R32/2006 WW Evo IX MR

Well I guess I will Chime in. I have owned over 7 Vdubs. I had a MK2 GTI and an rocco..

I love the older GTI's I would try and find a 16v the 8v was really slow. not that the 16 was a speed demon.. If you can find a 87 16v i think best GTI ever. Like any used car you will have issues. Rust, and electrical. If the car was mantained you should be ok. You can still get lots of good parts for reasonable price. I think the one you have listed here is priced high. If you find one in good shape you will end up paying more kinda stinks but guess you pay for good care...

Other than that I can't think of anything off the top of my head that was a real issue with the car. I had belt issue with my 87 rocco.. Hell if you can find an 89 GTI 16v pick it up.

Type 4 Cylinder, In-Line, DOHC, 16 Valves
Bore 3.19" (81.0 mm)
Stroke 3.40" (86.4 mm)
Displacement 109 Cu. In. (1,780 cc)
Compression Ratio 10.0:1
H.P. @ RPM (SAE Net) 123 @ 5,800
Max. Trq. Lbs.-Ft. @RPM 120 @ 4,250
Fuel Requirement Unleaded (Premium Recommended for
Maximum Performance)

andru1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 AM   #28
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

found another that sounds kinda nice. its $3k but its a 92 and 'only' has 108k... its an 8v but some people have told me thats really what i want anyway, seems like at this point i dont think i have much of a preference.
here's the link... eh? http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3276950

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #29
J.E.T.
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5137

My Ride:
(V)ery.(V)ery.(L)oud.

If you want power, get the 16v. If it's just a daily driver to get you around, an 8v is ideal.

Several differences within the MK2 span:
85-86: GTI are 8v
87-89: GTI are 1.8 16v, no 8v. The 8V during these years is the GT trim(minus rear disc and sport seats). 89 MY, lowest 16v produced.
90-92: 8v & 2.0 16v with quad headlamps.
85-89: Small bumpers
90-92: Big bumper covers
85-88 all & 89 16V: CIS-E Fuel Injection System
89 8v & 90-92 all: Digifant Fuel Injection System

Problems to look out for on the 16v: Timing Belt

Troll, have you even given the Scirocco MK2's a thought?
J.E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #30
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
I think it's a good idea, get one. If you catch Rob or PT they both know their stuff and are at Fresh Works most of the time.
And they're so easy to work on... I don't know why someone would think otherwise. They're tiny, basic inline 4's and fit together like Lego's. There's a reason so many VW guys do their own work.

If I see or hear of any nice ones up for sale I'll let you know. Please get a MKII (and not anything newer), those cars have so much soul.

sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #31
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisforsurfing View Post
those cars have so much soul.
True, true.

BTW Troll, have you ever cornered on three wheels? It's a regular thing in VW's.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #32
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

yeah i really want to find a diamond in the rough, but not sure which one that'll be. dont need to get it right away but hopefully something will come up in the next couple of months. i've really taken a liking to black, but i'm not going to count out other colors (although i'm not big on the red or teal much). does the one i linked from vortex sound pretty special or something that'll come around often enough? he said it doesnt really have any rust but he did bring up that it was repainted by a previous owner so i guess the quality of that job is up in the air.
anyway, this car is sex via sheetmetal so i figured i'd post it. dont think i'll ever take one this far though because then it would no longer be a 'daily driver'

|

Quote:

|

Last edited by TROLL; 06-09-2007 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #33
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
You should check out some of the cars on VWFixx's Hot VW section.

I like this one.
http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69071
Old 06-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #34
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

so i guess everybody got bored of talking about clean mk2's. i'm just kinda scared to pull the trigger on one without the nod from some big VW guy who knows them in and out and can tell me when the right opportunity comes along.

i also just found this bmw 325e but not much info posted and it doesnt get nearly as good mileage as a GTI would, but i'll link it here anyway just for the hell of it since it seems like a good price if it ends up being in good condition... http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/342871207.html

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #35
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
so i guess everybody got bored of talking about clean mk2's. i also just found this bmw 325e but not much info posted and it doesnt get nearly as good mileage as a GTI would, but i'll link it here anyway just for the hell of it since it seems like a good price if it ends up being in good condition... http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/342871207.html
Ehhh, buy the GTi.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #36
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

yeah i agree, i'm def wanting a gti... Muddy can you PM me rob's number? i guess he's not much of an internet person. i'd have to assume that he goes on vwvortex though... i dunno.

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #37
MuddyREX
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #82

My Ride:
02 Subaru WRX

I think he lurks a little bit, but never posts on either. Sending PM with his number....

:EDIT: Cell's dead, so I'll send it when I get home.....

Old 06-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #38
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
yeah i agree, i'm def wanting a gti... Muddy can you PM me rob's number? i guess he's not much of an internet person. i'd have to assume that he goes on vwvortex though... i dunno.
If that doesn't work out, hop on blowneuroz and post a thread. A few VW people on there would be happy to help.

That black one with painted bumpers and flares looks good, very unique.

sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #39
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

hung out with rob today so i got to talk to him a bit, he's gonna check otu the info and pics on some of the ones i've found.
here's another one, sounds like a STEAL but its in Portland. honestly not opposed to a little road trip, i'd love the excuse.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3280777
just making notes for myself really so i can go back and find these cars again later, but please feel free to give input to this super cheap low mileage car that isnt starting for some reason.

|

Quote:

|
Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #40
naDintheHat
Tri-State Addict

Member #2360

My Ride:
94 GTI - Br0ke, 98 GTI - Stock..

Send a message via AIM to naDintheHat
That gti looks pretty good, i always liked the mk2 gti with the dual rounds in the front. as for the battery issue of that one, i would so some searching around the vortex or around fixx to see if that brings up any ideas.