TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Drag Racing
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
C'DALERIDER
Tri-State Addict

Member #1064

My Ride:
'04WRX,'06STI;WRBX2,850awhp

T/a Ws6 1/4 Times??

This tech at one off my offices mentioned his brother has a 2002 ws6. I mentioned how much i like that car, alot. He then told me that stock, "off the showroom floor" the TA's run low 12 to high 11 second 1/4 miles I should get one then.
Anyone have numbers for a stock TA-ws6 and "proof" (ie, video or time slip).

Also, when is a blower not a s/c'er ?? And, can a blower be set to only come on at a certain mph? He promised me that blowers only come on when you want to, like nos . This came about when he mentioned how much he hated nos. I actualy like nos.

I was being cool about the topics, but he insisted the above was true.
The wheel in front of me twitches and pulses with enormous energy as it tries desperately to pull away from my gasping breaths. My legs ache, the pain beginning deep, unbelievably deep, slowly creeping up through the layers of my consciousness, finally reaching the threshold where my struggle to ignore it is overcome and it comes gushing out in great spasms.
C'DALERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

That's bull, an '01-'02 WS6 will run low 13s/high 12's (with a good driver)

'01-'02 LS1s have the LS6 intake and are rated to go 13.4 from the factory (by GM)

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
C'DALERIDER
Tri-State Addict

Member #1064

My Ride:

Thank you.
The wheel in front of me twitches and pulses with enormous energy as it tries desperately to pull away from my gasping breaths. My legs ache, the pain beginning deep, unbelievably deep, slowly creeping up through the layers of my consciousness, finally reaching the threshold where my struggle to ignore it is overcome and it comes gushing out in great spasms.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
StreetEG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1109

blower=different word for supercharger. Same thing
Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

old people say blowers. lol.

kids say superchargers because it sounds cooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
)
Old 04-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
HickRocket1258
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #415

Send a message via AIM to HickRocket1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled T
That's bull, an '01-'02 WS6 will run low 13s/high 12's (with a good driver)

'01-'02 LS1s have the LS6 intake and are rated to go 13.4 from the factory (by GM)
Yeah he hit it right on the head. And with certain little mods you can get those things to fly into the low 12s. Those cars are amazing.

Just a mustang that's lowered.....that's about it.

Work harder....Millions on welfare depend on you!
HickRocket1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
sleeperstyle
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #848

6 speed ls1's, with GOOD drivers, have been know to go very low 13's and high 12's quite often. it is all in the 60 foot. the 01-02's made a tad more power due to the ls6 intake and better factory exhaust manifolds/exhaust, and there were "stripper" versions of the z28 camaro's with crank windows etc... which were a good deal lighter than the regular f-bodies.

fastest STOCK f-body ls1 imho = 01-02 stripper z28 m6. NOT the ram-air trans ams like everybody thinks .

supercharger/blower is run by your crank pulley. how the hell could you turn it off if the crank pulley is spinning? the stupid kid is probably thinking about roots-style and centrifical. roots-style sits on top of the intake manifold, the centrifical looks like the cold-side of a turbo and the other side a pulley. both are still run by the crank pulley.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
2point4DSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #505

My Ride:
08 Sienna Limited AWD, 07 John Deere riding mower, 03 Honda Pilot, 92 GSX

Send a message via AIM to 2point4DSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
supercharger/blower is run by your crank pulley. how the hell could you turn it off if the crank pulley is spinning?
I sort of remember reading something about turning a blower on or off by using a mechanism similar to turning an A/C unit on or off. Basically it involved energizing clutches in the pulley on the supercharger.

Also, I thought there was a Brabus or AMG Supercharged Mercedes that had an electronically controlled bypass valve that could vent boost for several reasons one of which was to increase gas mileage.

08 Sienna, limited AWD w/ laser guided cruise control, FTMFW!
2point4DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
C'DALERIDER
Tri-State Addict

Member #1064

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point4DSM
I sort of remember reading something about turning a blower on or off by using a mechanism similar to turning an A/C unit on or off. Basically it involved energizing clutches in the pulley on the supercharger.

Also, I thought there was a Brabus or AMG Supercharged Mercedes that had an electronically controlled bypass valve that could vent boost for several reasons one of which was to increase gas mileage.
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Either a clutch mechanism or BPV set to vent till told otherwise. Maybe to get better traction on the launch, or better gas milage.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
DropTopChevy
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #242

My Ride:
2002 2.8 30V V6

Send a message via AIM to DropTopChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point4DSM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. A while back I know I saw a late 60's charger with a mechanical tensioner that would provide slack in the belt to the S/C therefore turning it off. I watched the guy pull out of his spot after the car show and he switched it on as he was driving. Might take some research but I have seen it done.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
ElectricEVO
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1306

Send a message via AIM to ElectricEVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'DALERIDER
This tech at one off my offices mentioned his brother has a 2002 ws6. I mentioned how much i like that car, alot. He then told me that stock, "off the showroom floor" the TA's run low 12 to high 11 second 1/4 miles I should get one then.
Anyone have numbers for a stock TA-ws6 and "proof" (ie, video or time slip).

Also, when is a blower not a s/c'er ?? And, can a blower be set to only come on at a certain mph? He promised me that blowers only come on when you want to, like nos . This came about when he mentioned how much he hated nos. I actualy like nos.

I was being cool about the topics, but he insisted the above was true.
That "tech" is a complete moron and way off base. When you see him again, tell him he was way off base and to go get some factual information.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #12
2point4DSM
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #505

My Ride:
08 Sienna Limited AWD, 07 John Deere riding mower, 03 Honda Pilot, 92 GSX

Send a message via AIM to 2point4DSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'DALERIDER
Thats exactly what i was thinking. Either a clutch mechanism or BPV set to vent till told otherwise. Maybe to get better traction on the launch, or better gas milage.
MR2s had the clutched pulley mechanism. http://mr2.com/TEXT/SuperChargerInfo.html : "The motor is a modified 4-AGE unit coupled to an electronically engaged roots type supercharger (manufacturer currently unverified)."

I don't ever remember a domestic car manufacturer using it though.

08 Sienna, limited AWD w/ laser guided cruise control, FTMFW!

Last edited by 2point4DSM; 04-05-2006 at 11:44 AM.
2point4DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #13
TNTramair
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1299

ls1's are slow.

now to the supercharger thing...YES, there are superchargers that are just along for the ride untill your punch the accelerator. they are found on mercedes "kompressor" equiped cars. i work for Chrysler and the Chrysler crossfire SRT-6 is equiped with a mercedes 3.2l kompressor motor and thats the way it works.
2006 Yamaha R1 50th ann.
TNTramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
TNTramair
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
fastest STOCK f-body ls1 imho = 01-02 stripper z28 m6. NOT the ram-air trans ams like everybody thinks .
nah uh....nothing can beat a WS.6...:D

"stripper" cars are fairly fast but the Firehawks i think are the quickest f-bodies...but thats just my opinion as well.
2006 Yamaha R1 50th ann.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Yea, well other than the special edition 'Firehawk', there is also a 'Blackbird' which is slightly faster...and more rare...but those two take the cake, most definitely

)
Old 04-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #16
TNTramair
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled T
Yea, well other than the special edition 'Firehawk', there is also a 'Blackbird' which is slightly faster...and more rare...but those two take the cake, most definitely
backbirds are not GM based. well they were based on WS.6 cars but not put together by GM. they were built by GMMG for Carl Black for his dealership. you couldnt buy a Blackbird at your local pontiac dealer. and they were "alot" faster than anything that came off GM's lot.
sorta like Berger did with the old camaros and Yenko aswell.
2006 Yamaha R1 50th ann.

Last edited by TNTramair; 04-05-2006 at 02:56 PM.