TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
c7scayman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9644

American Sniper Movie-I wouldn't watch it-Spoiler Alert

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/22/7859791...an-sniper-iraq

I wanted to see this. It looked like a good war movie in the commercials, but I also noticed an unusual amount of articles and posts about this movie. I finally decided to read one of them.

I'm definitely not watching now.

In the movie, they are in war with Iraq to find and kill Al-Qaeda terrorists. The movie shows scenes of 9/11. Iraq had nothing to do with Al-Qaeda or 9/11. The movie does not even mention Bush or Saddam Hussein or the rumored weapons of mass destruction. Most, if not all Al-Qaeda terrorists came from Afghanistan, which is not even a country in the middle east. Not that we should blame Afghanistan. I'm sure 90+% of the people their are probably innocent normal people that also want Al-Qaeda gone.

The articles are also saying it is a war propaganda film and it is giving millions of people the wrong idea. From the article "many viewers appear to have absorbed American Sniper's message as "Muslims are evil and should be killed." Also in reality, soldiers accidentally kill innocent people because of mistakes. The movie makes it seem like every innocent looking person the sniper(Kyle) kills turns out to be a terrorist. In reality Kyle has admitted to killing at least 264 people in the war, many were found to be innocent civilians.
See below. This movie is spreading more hate and fear.

I can't believe this movie is being considered for so many awards.
13 MK6 GTI 2020 - Current
c7scayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
jpalamar
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #13773

My Ride:
03 Corvette Z06

Stip being a vagina. Its a movie. Same as the N Korea one. Take it for entertainment value and move on with your life.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Stip being a vagina. Its a movie. Same as the N Korea one. Take it for entertainment value and move on with your life.
Parody/Satire is a different realm.

Every major analysis, factual (as in dates, times, places, and people) and symbolic (the propensity to frame the sustained occupation as black and white), of the movie shows its just ridiculous... on many levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
rocknrace03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #17593

My Ride:
WRX

I saw the movie last night; while i do see the hints of propaganda and that all middle eastern people are bad "stuff", i thought it sent a message of how much our soldiers really are at risk (even if just building a wall at a check point). And while some may not physically lose their lives, they may lose their minds. I thought it was an excellent movie and made me appreciate our soldiers that much more, but i can also say that i'm not about to head down to the recruiting office and sign up. Regardless of a movie, thanks to all that serve!

Last edited by rocknrace03; 01-24-2015 at 01:01 PM.
rocknrace03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Reds82
Tri-State Addict

Member #10670

My Ride:
1981 Mercury Crappi

I read his book when it first came out which has a realistic time line the movie bounces around and just shows parts of it and doesnt really have any date markers other than the bombing and 911 but then jumps to another part of the story line. As for the movie itself Ive seen it thought it was ok for a action war movie but for some people to ignorant on both sides of the merica **** ya and the omg I dont want hurt anyones feelings will see it as all middle eastern people are evil other than its a just a movie. And after reading about him I doubt he would be totally pleased with how he was portrayed in it some part yes other parts hell no.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
akley88
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18685

My Ride:
2014 Altima

the tweets that you posted were by people who more then likely did not like Muslims or middle eastern people to begin with. i agree with rocknrace03, the movie may have focused on him but i think it had to do more with the mental struggle that so many soldiers go through. i think cooper did a great job as taking on the role of Kyle. but it is a movie based on a book and things are almost always left out or skipped when books are made into movies.
akley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:
2016 GTI SE w/PP/Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Quote:
Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
the tweets that you posted were by people who more then likely did not like Muslims or middle eastern people to begin with. i agree with rocknrace03, the movie may have focused on him but i think it had to do more with the mental struggle that so many soldiers go through. i think cooper did a great job as taking on the role of Kyle. but it is a movie based on a book and things are almost always left out or skipped when books are made into movies.
This entirely.

It's a movie based on a book. You made judgement without even seeing it? I mean that is pants on the head retarded. You based your "propaganda" on "what you read"; might as well just follow every single news outlet word for word and never look beyond it.

As far as it creating and all muslims are bad thing? No, the people who feel that way already felt that way. I didn't want to go kill all muslims when I walked out, I wanted to head down to the local VA and reach out to those fighting the invisible war. In addition, did you serve? Were you there in fallujah getting shot at? I'm glad I wasn't because it would have left a bad taste in my mouth as well. You don't hear about all the good that's trying to be done while fighting and invisible enemy.

We're spending money on paving roads,getting clean water/food, and other humanitarian missions while getting shot at by the same people. Fighting the war on terror is not easy because you can kill a human but you can't kill an emotion. The people in that city were selling out Americans who were there to help for money,and then taking things from the Americans the same day.

/rant.
Foolinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

Send a message via MSN to OBEEWON
^^ But how does that help? How about a movie that maybe persuades those who hate Muslims that maybe not all Muslims are bad?
This is akin to making a movie during the civil rights era about how horrible black people are and passing it off as just entertainment.

Seth Rogan hit it right on the head weather he wants to stand by his statement or not. It's exactly like that move inside Inglorious Bastards. Propaganda and falsehoods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OBEEWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
^^ But how does that help? How about a movie that maybe persuades those who hate Muslims that maybe not all Muslims are bad?
This is akin to making a movie during the civil rights era about how horrible black people are and passing it off as just entertainment.

Seth Rogan hit it right on the head weather he wants to stand by his statement or not. It's exactly like that move inside Inglorious Bastards. Propaganda and falsehoods.
When you write the book you can make the movie. It's literally a movie based on the events he experienced. Inglorious Bastards was made up for entertainment,this is literally someones recount(with a few modifications albeit) of their deployments. I don't understand why that concept is so hard for anyone to understand?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

The issue is the book has been proven to be largely innaccurate and the author not a completely stable human.

If you think about it the movie is almost exactly like the sub movie in Inglorious Bastards. It's uncanny.

And the dude said he found weapons of mass destruction that tied 911 to Iraq. I'm pretty sure that is false in every way possible just like him killing car jackers in TX.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
The issue is the book has been proven to be largely innaccurate and the author not a completely stable human.

If you think about it the movie is almost exactly like the sub movie in Inglorious Bastards. It's uncanny.

And the dude said he found weapons of mass destruction that tied 911 to Iraq. I'm pretty sure that is false in every way possible just like him killing car jackers in TX.
The WOMD,the jackers,and even the sniping during katrina were all "big fish stories." Told for entertainment. The sub-movie was marginally comparable at best; it's a stretch to say they're the same.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #12
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

You are right it is a stretch. That was strong wordage.
They are extremely similar though, especially in how they were told/their purpose. Both had embellished stories and some even fabricated ones in order to propagate an agenda and bolster support for a countries war efforts.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #13
Foolinaround
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #9448

My Ride:

Quote:
You are right it is a stretch. That was strong wordage.
They are extremely similar though, especially in how they were told/their purpose. Both had embellished stories and some even fabricated ones in order to propagate an agenda and bolster support for a countries war efforts.
I'm done.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local