TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 09-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #21
markley02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #390

My Ride:
05 Honda Odessey

Quote:
Originally Posted by htheduck
Not knowing exactly what you drive-the weight bias of your car is not clear for this discussion. The conditions in which you described about heated up rotors on the street and the prayer for cooler brakes is a little vague. Sorry but it's going to take more than a prayer to solve this problem. Snakeeyes has the right idea about a suggestion for a better brake system. Your current symptoms could possibly be basic maintenance: compromised lines, glazed pads, air in the lines, contaminated fluid, etc.
It was a del sol that I dont own anymore. It only happened to me twice and I was up in the mountains having fun. There wasn't anything wrong other than heat. I have made the rotors glow several times in that car and I think that drilled rotors would have helped in that situation. I admit that there is plenty of other ways to cool the brakes better than drilled rotors but, if your old rotors need to be replaced I think it would be good to look into.
markley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:08 PM   #22
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markley02
It was a del sol that I dont own anymore. It only happened to me twice and I was up in the mountains having fun. There wasn't anything wrong other than heat. I have made the rotors glow several times in that car and I think that drilled rotors would have helped in that situation. I admit that there is plenty of other ways to cool the brakes better than drilled rotors but, if your old rotors need to be replaced I think it would be good to look into.
To be honest, drilling does take away from the surface area and can start cooling problems.

I'm not siding with one or the other, however, slotted does offer an faster bite. You DO run through pads much quicker and blow a lot of dust around, but there's also more braking power, and if they're cut correctly, not too much surface area is removed and heat isn't a big problem.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #23
markley02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #390

My Ride:
05 Honda Odessey

I do think that slotted rotors will improve braking better than slotted, but it is not worth it to me when you go through pads like that.
markley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #24
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markley02
I do think that slotted rotors will improve braking better than slotted, but it is not worth it to me when you go through pads like that.
You can get a pad that's a little harder than normal, but then you need extreme heat to be able to brake. The slots SHOULD help get the pads up to spec, but it'd probably be harder when wet, etc etc, and braking would suffer again.

I agree, but then again, I'd rather sacrifice pads rather than rotors and my car to be able to stop. That's me, and I know not everyone is like that. I'm still undecided on whether or not to get slotted or solid.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote