TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Subie_sleeper
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5775

My Ride:
'06 Subaru Baja Turbo. Cash consuming vortex from HELL

Post your thoughts on Subarus recent model line problems. Keep it civil people.

OK..... There are a few threads going off topic right now due to people venting their frustration with Subarus design changes and recent mechanical issues.. both real and imaginary Here is a place to cover a broad range of issues. If it's a Subaru issue that pisses you off tell us what and WHY>>>>
Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
R_Rambo
Tri-State Addict

Member #8452

My Ride:
11' WRX Hatch

after hitting a turkey friday at 50mph and having virtually no damage to the bumper except for scrathes and some small dents, subaru ftw I thought it was gameover for my front end it sounded like a bomb went off when I hit it. everyone has been complaining about these 08+ models, eventhough there not my favorite by looks I have no complaints about the vehicle itself (besides rock chips but thats nothing new)
R_Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Its 1 am and id like to get some sleep tonight. However, I plan to write and essay when I get the time so dont u all worry. Ndubz will be back to this thread, and he's gonna bring has game face.
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
06WRBScoob
Tri-State Addict

Member #8007

My Ride:
06 WRB WRX VF34

its 5 Am im getting for work and my days ruined now knowing i have to read it when i get home!
06WRBScoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Mike
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7175

My Ride:
2005 Subaru Legacy GT LTD

It's like when Chris Bangle took over designing BMWs, most people didn't like 'em, me included, but now I like their design.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
rocco
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1549

Send a message via AIM to rocco
I've never drove any of the new models or rode in one so I have no opinion on performance . However I do like the looks of the new body styles. Love it or leave it. What I do have a problem with is pricing. $40k for sti and $30k for wrx. But if I look up my 04 sti with 25k miles in great condition on kbb my resale or trade in is $16k-$18k. And you know the dealer will have my car for sale on their lot for $28995.00.
rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Honest_Bob
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1179

My Ride:
05 WRX Wagon

Send a message via AIM to Honest_Bob
You wont catch me rolling in anything 08+. If i wanted something that looked like a mazda 3 hatch or a corolla I would have bought one. The motor issues arent helping and the fact that I've heard from multiple people that bolts are breaking like crazy when taking the car apart. I like to work on my car and cant be dealing with that sort of thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Honest_Bob; 04-21-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Honest_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Mindspin311
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10987

My Ride:
2005 Subaru Legacy GT

Send a message via AIM to Mindspin311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco View Post
I've never drove any of the new models or rode in one so I have no opinion on performance . However I do like the looks of the new body styles. Love it or leave it. What I do have a problem with is pricing. $40k for sti and $30k for wrx. But if I look up my 04 sti with 25k miles in great condition on kbb my resale or trade in is $16k-$18k. And you know the dealer will have my car for sale on their lot for $28995.00.
Thats because KBB doesnt take into account the demand of the cars. KBB sees the car a WRX with options. Some kid on the street sees it as "OMG an STi", therefore.. the dealer sees it as $$$$$$$$$$. Its simple supply and demand.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
rocco
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1549

Send a message via AIM to rocco
yeah but the original owner is the loser in the end
rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
R22B
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5854

My Ride:
88 Merkur XR4Ti | 92 Mazda MX3 | 98 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer | 91 Ford Ranger89 | 89 Yamaha FZR600

Send a message via ICQ to R22B Send a message via AIM to R22B
I think there are a few things.

Subaru has always targeted a niche market. From their early slogan of “Cheap and Ugly” to targeting their ad campaigns to homosexuals – they were never in the spotlight.

That was until they brought over the WRX. Even for a while, it was still enthusiast who supported Subaru here in the United States. Well, that and middle-aged mothers.

It seems recently they started going after the mainstream – both with their ad campaigns and car design. While I don’t care who they target, a lot of enthusiast feel backstabbed. It was the single mothers and enthusiast who really helped keep Subaru afloat. At least, that’s my opinion.

Another concern now is price. There is no way I could ever afford $40k for a new STi unless I won the lottery. Even the near $30k for the WRX is a bit much. Trust me – I’ll never purchase another used WRX again. Ever.

One of my “ughs” is that Subaru is changing suspension geometry, drive train options, and whatever else to appeal to the masses. While I don’t discourage this, it seems to leaving enthusiast who wants the rougher ride, the manual transmission only, no radio, etc frustrated that their car will now appeal to 50 year old guys having a mid-life crisis. Or worse, soccer moms.

I just hope Subaru doesn’t do what Harley Davidson did. Harley had such a loyal following (even when they were designed/developed in Japan) and once motorcycle’s started getting big, they started raising prices to appeal to the masses and drop the “bad boys bike” image. Then the economy got rough, people who could afford Harley’s still stopped purchases them and the loyal riders from back in the day went “Ha. Serves you right.”

Moral of the story? Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
foolio
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4097

My Ride:
2000 GC/Swap

Having worked on Subaru for 8 years of my life now I have to say that Fuji is really trying to cut too many corners. Having worked for SOA for 6 years and having made the move Rallispec for the last 2 years I got to see both sides of two very different worlds. I was talking with an old friend at SOA yesterday, he said they have changed the 08 STI, WRX, and Forester crankshaft part number 3 times since the release of the GH body. Obivously they know what the problem is, but Im not sure why Fuji has not just changed to Crankshaft back to the AA370. Which was the last good crankshaft of the GD body style. Unfortantly we all know what the problem is, cutting corners. Lets talk about the 6mt for a minute, great gearbox. I have only ever seen one broken gear in the probably 100's I have rebuild. So 04-05 MY had some problems with 4th,5th and 6th gears grinding and they came out with an updated Carbon Bulk Ring, awesome fix for sure. 2006 model year, great box again, Carbon bulk rings and the internal oil pump. Then here comes the later half of 2006, I get a gearbox, open it up. What do you know, no oil pump, just a bunch of internal plastic tracks. 2007, better gear ratios for those drag racers, but no internal oil pump and its been the same since. Now we are entering 2010 model year for the legacy. As many of you know they are all coming with 6 speeds, everything from the NA to the Turbo model and they are 50lbs lighter everyone!! Great job right? Well, not really. The new 6mt is of a split case design, just like the 5mts, but just a 6 speed. Just sure about the total design so Im going to bite my tongue until it comes out and I actually see it with my own eyes to say wether or not its junk. Overall, the quality of our Subaru products are going downhill. Every year its something else. Sometimes people cant see to leave a good thing alone.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Mindspin311
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #10987

My Ride:
2005 Subaru Legacy GT

Send a message via AIM to Mindspin311
Unfortunately, it all comes down to money.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
Elliott18t
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9456

My Ride:
03 GTI w/ F4h-T 250-260hp goal

Send a message via AIM to Elliott18t
I've liked subies, as I've liked my euros... But recently they don't give off at least that image that I like anymore. To me the STI isn't aggressive looking as it used to be. I LOVE that its a hatch (love hatchbacks) but its current model just looks kinda bland. The interior looks way better than previous models though. I've read plenty of horror stories about the new,STIs at least, about paint... 4th cyl.(i think) etc. hopefully they recognize and fix this problem. MAinly I just think new bodies are as exciting as a base ford focus. So, in all, I'd probably end up getting an older model than a new one, if I was to get a Subie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

TST's Dub Cult
Elliott18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
SheaButter
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #11890

My Ride:
2008 scuby wrx

I have always been a subaru fan, heck my first car was a legacy. Now I am in the 08 wrx and I couldnt be happier. The styling I love, I never liked the WRX until 06 came out. The bug eyes never did it for me. As far as the ride and suspension I have no problems with the 08 it sticks pretty well to the ground. Plus the WRX has always been know as a car that you are going to mod as you please and I think that is the best part about it. No matter how long you own the car you will always be able to finds ways to change something on it. As far as the engine and problems well im not that far into my 08 yet. got 33XX on her and haven't had a problem. The thing that gets me is the amount of people that are against the styling of the 08+ and the amount of people bashing the car that haven't even driven it. I cant say much about any subaru's myself I have not driven any other year other then my 92 and 08. i think that Subaru owners are the luckiest, we have a manufactorer that notices that people don't like something and change it. Hence the 08 and 09. and now possibly a six speed in 10.
SheaButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

All imprezas look more like the rest of the market. This wasnt true of the older imprezas. Therefore, the new ones have lost some market appeal at the levels where people care about image.

WRX: I loved how it drove. Its legit as a fu performance car. But the engine issues would make me think twice about buying one until the issue is fixed. However, the WRX is in my opinion, the best new car you can get for under 30 grand. Its also the best looking current impreza, and I love the steps subaru has taken to make the wrx more indentifiable as its own performance car.

The STI: I will try to be civil here. and remember, Im only talking about stock cars here because that is all subaru is responsible for.

First off its heavier than the old ones and they didnt change the power enough to matter (in fact it lost torque and only gained 5 bhp) More weight + same power= slower than the old ones.

Now for the wagon issue. Some of u may call it a hatch, but its more of a station wagon to me they way its layed out. Subaru claims that the wagon layout improves weight distribution and thus makes the car handle better. But the slolom speeds and skidpad numbers are almost identical. Therefore subaru's claim is bull****. the ony reason that they made it a wagon is to try and soften the car and make it appeal to a wider and less serious market. That very fact goes against what an sti is meant to be. And it just isnt worthy of the STI badge. The car itself (disregarding that it is the sti) is a great package, and would make a terrific WRX. But more is expected of the STI namesake. And the current car is a disgrace.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #16
SheaButter
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #11890

My Ride:
2008 scuby wrx

You make some great points but I feel as if Subaru kinda left there roots in away on the new STI. To me it seems as if they made the STI a hatch to take people away from the GTI, R32, and the Mazda 3speed. They went with the hatch to kinda pull from that market rather then bring more people to them with a sedan STI. I hope they make one soon because if they do its bye bye the my wrx and hello STI.
SheaButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
But the slolom speeds and skidpad numbers are almost identical. Therefore subaru's claim is bull****.
That's quite simply, incorrect.

In the slalom, the new STi is on average 3-5 mph faster than an 06 STi.

Skidpad numbers come down to tires. The new tires on the STi aren't as grippy as the old RE070s, but thats because too many people complained about how poorly the RE070s drove in inclimate conditions. Even there, the new car has the same skidpad performance or slightly better than the old car (we're talking hundredths here), which is a testament to the suspension layout working more efficiently to keep the subpar rubber to the pavement.

The new car outhandles the old car stock vs. stock. It ran faster than the old car on Top Gears track as well FWIW.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 04-22-2009 at 09:52 AM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Dave, u cant use topr gear as a legit example. A) because that wasn't our STi and B) because if I remember right, it was pouring rain when they ran the old one. That is invalid. But if u do want to use top gear, then how about this. That whole episode showed how the new sti was a POS. Clarkson hated it, and they showed that it doesnt handle in a precise manner. So that actually helps my point. Also consider how much the top gear guys loved the previous gen STis. There is my point, the new one blows.

Also, let me show you what I mean here:Here is Motortrend's test of your car, the 05 sti. it slalomed at 69.7mph (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on/slalom.html) Alot of people think its 67mph or something, its not. Those people sucked at driving.

heres the 08, Ive see everything from 67mph to 72mph so obviously its a driver thing there. But everyone who has driven it says it feels like **** compared to the old ones. And it has been raped in every single performance test it has been a part of. I think that alone speaks for itself, that nobody likes it. Thats what really important, driver satisfaction. But its pretty evident that this doesnt give it. its a disgrace to its namesake. I hate it, you may love it. So go buy one and have urself a soccer mom's performance car. Im content with my 04.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
R_Rambo
Tri-State Addict

Member #8452

My Ride:
11' WRX Hatch

Quote:

WRX: I loved how it drove. Its legit as a fu performance car. But the engine issues would make me think twice about buying one until the issue is fixed.
wtf? this problem was solved a long time ago
R_Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #20
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Dave, u cant use topr gear as a legit example. A) because that wasn't our STi and B) because if I remember right, it was pouring rain when they ran the old one. That is invalid. But if u do want to use top gear, then how about this. That whole episode showed how the new sti was a POS. Clarkson hated it, and they showed that it doesnt handle in a precise manner. So that actually helps my point. Also consider how much the top gear guys loved the previous gen STis. There is my point, the new one blows.

Also, let me show you what I mean here:Here is Motortrend's test of your car, the 05 sti. it slalomed at 69.7mph (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on/slalom.html) Alot of people think its 67mph or something, its not. Those people sucked at driving.

heres the 08, Ive see everything from 67mph to 72mph so obviously its a driver thing there. But everyone who has driven it says it feels like **** compared to the old ones. And it has been raped in every single performance test it has been a part of. I think that alone speaks for itself, that nobody likes it. Thats what really important, driver satisfaction. But its pretty evident that this doesnt give it. its a disgrace to its namesake. I hate it, you may love it. So go buy one and have urself a soccer mom's performance car. Im content with my 04.

The 08 was run in the wet, the old car was run in the dry for Top Gear. The UK STi has also received the 2.5l we use since 2006, too. The difference is they get RE070s and Recaros, etc. Suspension-wise there aren't any changes. The 08 is quicker around a track, man. I'm sorry. Call up RCE, TopSpeed, or TiC if you want more clarification as to why. It's a better platform for front end grip, which is something the GD has a problem with.

I'm not talking about looks or build quality here. I also don't put the STi on a pedestal though, it's a dressed up econo box. Always has been.

/
/
/
/
/

Last edited by DaveSTi; 04-22-2009 at 02:56 PM.
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote