TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 02-11-2022, 04:37 PM   #21
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Got some PPF done and a quick clean/seal by Performance Detailz near Lancaster, PA. Rockers all the way into the car, fender vent piece, mirrors, and trunk strip. Really needed the side skirts done as they're so wide they're going to take cone blasts at autocross and they're also a little difficult to step over.

Unfortunately the front bumper was already a bit chipped up so no point in doing that.

DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:59 AM   #22
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Lookin good!!
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:46 PM   #23
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Really like the new front-end a lot. Sorry to hear it's chipped

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
/
/
/
/
DaveSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #24
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Subaru paint sucks... still haha. To be fair, I got cut off by a dump truck that proceeded to drop rocks all over
Old 02-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #25
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Subaru paint sucks... still haha. To be fair, I got cut off by a dump truck that proceeded to drop rocks all over
Ugh, that's the worst! When it's unavoidable and you watch it happening.

VW paint isn't any better...I think all paint sucks these days TBH.

/
/
/
/
/
Old 02-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #26
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

All water based paint sucks ass
Old 02-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #27
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Did an oil change and switched to Motul DCTF for the transmission. Shifts way better cold (doesn't seem to lock me out of gears as often) and smooths out the hot shifting as well. Transmission even seems a little bit quieter which is interesting!
Old 02-24-2022, 11:02 AM   #28
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Quote:
Did an oil change and switched to Motul DCTF for the transmission. Shifts way better cold (doesn't seem to lock me out of gears as often) and smooths out the hot shifting as well. Transmission even seems a little bit quieter which is interesting!
Gotta love it when a simple change like that works out

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #29
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I've been working on mapping CAN data and finding a nice access point since CAN isn't readily accessible on the OBD2 port anymore. There's an active sound (ASC) computer easily accessible in the passenger side of the dash, so that was a perfect spot to "hack into" and get CAN access.

Parts list for the ASC connector/patch harness:

Male connector (plugs into factory harness):
- AMP/TE Connectivity Connector Housing P/N: 1376106-1 (Quantity 1)
- AMP/TE Connectivity Pins P/N: 1376109-1 (Quantity 8) - I'd suggest ordering a couple of spares though in case you mess up crimping

Female connector (same as factory harness if you're making a patch)
- AMP/TE Connectivity Connector Housing P/N: 1318386-1 (Quantity 1)
- AMP/TE Connectivity Pins P/N: 1123343-1 (Quantity 8) - I'd suggest ordering a couple of spares though in case you mess up crimping

I used this wire: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I used this RJ45 breakout (for RaceCapture Track Mk2, you'll use something else for other devices): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use something like this to crimp the connectors. It's fiddly and annoying but way cheaper than the "right" tool: https://www.amazon.com/Qibaok-Termin.../dp/B089LW7MWT

If you're wiring to a breakout like I was, this will work to make the ferrules on the wires. Way nicer to insert than stranded wire twisted together or whatever: https://www.amazon.com/TICONN-Insula...dp/B09F94TPRV/

My patch harness (made a second for a friend that I owe a favor to):

My RaceCapture "install" after I routed the RJ45 cable along the passenger side rocker under the carpet, down in front of the seat, and out the flap that exposes the chassis VIN.

Data into SoloStorm!

Matching temps on the dash for comparison:

Old 03-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #30
DaveSTi
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1591

Dang - nice work figuring that out!

/
/
/
/
/
Old 03-21-2022, 11:06 AM   #31
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Shaftworks USA Bilanx 1 coilovers installed! Rides like stock, I'm really impressed considering the spring rates and valving we went with. Gotta do a front swaybar and finally mount up my tires on my TS-Vs before I can comment much on their performance otherwise. Winter is finally over and I'm excited to go autocrossing and TT

Old 03-24-2022, 09:34 AM   #32
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

A few wet pics with my wheels on

Old 03-25-2022, 11:00 AM   #33
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

JDL UEL & Perrin 2.5" catback installed! Sounds like a proper Subaru again, haha

Old 03-30-2022, 07:42 AM   #34
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Love what you’ve done with the place. Something exactly like this will be my adult sport car, whenever I get to a good place with the E30s.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:24 AM   #35
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Thanks! I *love* it and I can't see swapping out cars again any time soon. It's practical, reliable, and a ton of fun. There are more mods I'd like to do when budget allows but no rush.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:35 AM   #36
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

I did the header first so I could see how it sounded with stock exhaust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKr5RSGkfRE

Cold start with the header and catback and some free revs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zumc484NSag

Cruising around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0M0emSiA6M

Full throttle 2nd gear acceleration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9572mqrI9Lk
Old 03-31-2022, 09:35 PM   #37
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Thanks! I *love* it and I can't see swapping out cars again any time soon. It's practical, reliable, and a ton of fun. There are more mods I'd like to do when budget allows but no rush.
Yup- what size did you go with for the TS-V's? They really look good. Usually these higher offset, flatter faced Enkeis look odd (see NT01 and RPF1), but these wheels really look killer, and fitment is spot on.

I also checked out JDL- their stuff seems like quality at a nice price point. Oh, also, exhaust sounds good! I enjoy the header with the stock catback, but the Perrin sounds very smooth/approchable for an aftermarket catback.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #38
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Yup- what size did you go with for the TS-V's? They really look good. Usually these higher offset, flatter faced Enkeis look odd (see NT01 and RPF1), but these wheels really look killer, and fitment is spot on.

I also checked out JDL- their stuff seems like quality at a nice price point. Oh, also, exhaust sounds good! I enjoy the header with the stock catback, but the Perrin sounds very smooth/approchable for an aftermarket catback.
I went with 17x9 ET45 with 10mm spacers up front. I agree, the higher offset Enkeis with flat faces normally look pretty dopey, I was very worried about that with these but they have *just* enough concavity to work. The lower offset wheels look even cooler, but the rear fitment on the 2nd gen twin is difficult.

JDL makes killer stuff, I had them on my first gen too. They make a ton of cool stuff for a fairly random selection of vehicles, like a turbo kit for a 2.5 I5 Rabbit, haha. The header with catback is exactly how the car should have sounded from the factory, IMO. Stock sounded like a Crosstrek.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:28 AM   #39
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Installed my final piece of the puzzle for autocross/track season last night! Karcepts makes badass parts for a limited selection of cars, but when their swaybars or other parts are available for your car you have to buy them. Over-engineered in the best ways possible! The swaybars have a nice arc built in for the adjustment holes so you can quickly and easily adjust the swaybar stiffness between runs at autocross or you could even do it in a pitstop during an enduro race or something. Easy install for a motorsports product with a great installation manual and they even included some specialty tools that are required.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #40
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

First autocross weekend in the history books! The car is phenomenal! I tested back to back with an ND2 Miata in STR and I don't think we can hang in STR yet (but it will be close with tunes to fix the low rev limiter) but the car is so dang fun I don't even really care. Love the easy adjust Karcepts swaybar and the Shaftworks USA shocks. I made one swaybar change early Saturday at the Test and Tune (math said I should have been where I ended up, but I was lazy and set the swaybar softer) and I didn't do anything for shocks, adjustment wise. I'm really really happy with the car.

My Saturday TnT run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeWv8DJUzOM

Amy's TnT run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7sr0fcrrs

Sunday's event was defined by crummy off and on rain. I made no changes for the wet and I was clearly the fastest in the wet, but it dried out and I coned away my fast run, then it rained again for Amy and she was faster in the rain than in the dry but coned it away too. Ignore the squeaking in the video, we left our trunk junk in because of the rain and the mic was picking up the squeaky styrofoam. I'll share our faster runs first.

My fastest raw time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShKvJFMiLM0

Amy's fastest raw time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TI8K3Bpq6g

My fastest clean run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3amKqE0DPs4

Amy's fastest clean run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ebcDTK7F0g