TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Gallery > Photography
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Loserkidwac
Tri-State Addict

Member #2550

My Ride:
1992 Mazda Miata, 1991 Honda CRX Si LS-T, 95 Civic VX

Looking at Camera Gear and would like some help/opinions...

Ok, well I've been looking at some cameras lately to try and get into some photography...I was consider the D40 but after some research and playing with one at the store I just felt like it might leave me wanting more down the road...so I decided to look at the D80...for some reason I am partial to Nikons but can't really tell you why, I just always were under the assumption they were very good quality SLRs...now I have a few friends with Nikons, D40s and D50s...so I can share lenses with but the person I will most likely be out shooting with has a Canon XTi...and has been nudging me towards getting a Canon instead...so it looks like the the comparable Canon is the XSi...

I really like the display that the nikon has on the top and I always believe nikons to have great lenses...should I stay with the D80 or consider the XSi...?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s450d&show=all

Thats just a general comparison between the 2...I had found the D80 with a 18-135mm lens for about $720...figured it was a good versatile lens to start with...my friend presented me with an offer for the Canon XSi with the 18-55mm IS kit lens and a 55-250mm IS lens for $790...bother were from reliable websites...I'm not trying to spend more then that on a body and lens...

I'm just looking to shoot some cool scenery and some car shots...to give an idea what I'd like to use the camera for...just start learning the basics and grow in the hobby...I was hoping to get a body that I wouldn't have to upgrade from and just pick up some lenses as i progressed...

Thanks for any input I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
OWENthatsmyname
Tri-State Addict

Member #55

My Ride:

Send a message via AIM to OWENthatsmyname
D80 ftw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OWENthatsmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Loserkidwac
Tri-State Addict

Member #2550

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8drifter86 View Post
D80 ftw
Ok Im SolD!!! lol the XSi seems to process and have a fast fps compared to the D80...which I don't think will be an huge difference for my use...plus the XSi is 12mpx compared to the D80 at 10mpx...on paper its kind of close...but I'd like some users input...thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Loserkidwac
Tri-State Addict

Member #2550

My Ride:

some more info my friend has presented me:

Quote:
lol this is going to be a right to the death between you and I Matt with Canon vs Nikon

XSi over D80:
- resolution size
- megapixels
- pixel density
- number of focus points
- continuous drive speed and temporary memory
- can time-lapse record directly to a computer
- bigger LCD
- weighs less
- slightly smaller
- has live view
- very slightly cheaper

D80 over XSi:
- kelvin white balance adjustment
- extra flash modes
- exposure compensation range (this just automatically gives you a higher or lower f-stop from what you have selected)
- adjustable self-timer delay
- additional display on the top of the camera

I don't think it's really fair to compare the XSi to the D80...the D80 is an XTi competitor and the XSi is a D90 competitor, in terms of features, mainly.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
The Captain
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3369

My Ride:
Prelude

Go hold both, shoot, feel how they feel in your hands.

- "America is all about speed - hot, nasty bad-ass speed." Eleanor Roosevelt (1965)
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

Send a message via AIM to 97TurboDSM
I have an XTi for sale if you're interested. I used to shoot Nikon and switched to Canon and couldn't be happier.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
like i tell everyone, try to go pick one up and hold them in your hands. im not a fan of the xsi/d40 small bodied slrs. as for resolution, i feel it doesnt matter. i still have my d50 6mp and take just as good as photos coming from something higher resolution.

jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
OWENthatsmyname
Tri-State Addict

Member #55

My Ride:

get a D50. if you are starting out just go get a D50 used if you can find one. they can be had for a good bit under 400 and are endlessly better than a D40

Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
KaBlookie
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2784

My Ride:
1996 Acura Integra SE sedan

Send a message via AIM to KaBlookie
jspek, considering his budget he would not be able to afford a prosumer body, let alone a decent lens on top of that. Maybe an old one with a LOT of shots on it, but nothing remotely new.

GC8drifter86, why would you recommend a D50 over, say, a Rebel XT or XTi? Or maybe even the XS...you can buy a brand new XS with a kit lens for like $500, and of course less for the body alone. Then, you're getting a new camera with a full warranty and no unknown history.

btw I'm said friend with the XTi (and Tamron 17-50mm XR Di-II LD, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, and Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L). 97TurboDSM, did you upgrade to a prosumer body? If so, which one did you get? I really have my eyes on a 50D but that's way down the road for me...

I agree with those who have said to go and play with each one. You can't really understand much of the operation of a camera until you play with it, and how it works is one of the most important things to consider when looking at DSLRs. The main reason why I went for an XTi was because I had been using my school's XT for over a year and was familiar with how it worked and all of the button placements.
are for fast drivers.

KaBlookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
OWENthatsmyname
Tri-State Addict

Member #55

My Ride:

well if he is just getting into photo then why spend all the extra money on a camera kit that is just going to depreciate. just get a xt(i) or D50/D70 for less and not lose money.

if he doesnt use the camera, then he just spent all that money for no real reason.

i went D70s->30D->D80. im very happy i went back to nikon.

and the XSi is supposed to be classed with the D40/60 not the D80.

o, and PENTAX FTMFW

Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

i had a 30D, had to go to XTi and want to go back to an xxD or 1D body. i also have a 70-200 f2.8
Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
KaBlookie
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2784

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8drifter86 View Post
and the XSi is supposed to be classed with the D40/60 not the D80.

um...please educate me on how the XSi is comparable to the D40/60, because I don't see it in the slightest. XTi versus D60 I can kinda see, but I'm confused with what you're saying. Look at the numbers and specs...the XTi is very similar to the D80, and the XSi is a complete step above that.

Also, for what reason(s) were you glad you went back to Nikon? I'm always interested in learning other peoples' viewpoints and opinions on comparing Nikon to Canon, but so far you've basically just said get Nikon get Nikon get Nikon with no supporting arguments.
are for fast drivers.

Last edited by KaBlookie; 11-24-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

If your friend is interested, I know he'll be very happy with my XTi and he can pick up whatever lens he wants instead of the kit lens.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
i like rice
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3858

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBlookie View Post
jspek, considering his budget he would not be able to afford a prosumer body, let alone a decent lens on top of that. Maybe an old one with a LOT of shots on it, but nothing remotely new.
A used 30D or D80 should cost less than a new entry level body. It's pretty much a given than most upgrade to a prosumer body shortly after getting into the hobby.

i like rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
cszakolczai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2954

My Ride:
Sentra SER Spec V

^ very true statement... also the XSi is geared toward competing with the D90. Hence the similar MP rate. Out of all honesty... I'm a Nikon guy, something about Canon's I just can't get used to. And thats a personal preference. The D80 is a good camera and can be had for pretty cheap used. The XSi will probably cost more due to how new it is. As everyone has said, you have to hold them and pick at this point. The 2 camera's you've chosen are both good camera's and will suit you fine.

And I'll say that Pentax is NOT FTMFW, again another personal opinion.
cszakolczai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
i like rice
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3858

megapixels are over-rated.

pixel density > mp

The Canon 50D is a good example of why a megapixel war results in image quality degradation.

i like rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
KaBlookie
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2784

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like rice View Post
A used 30D or D80 should cost less than a new entry level body. It's pretty much a given than most upgrade to a prosumer body shortly after getting into the hobby.
Very true statement...I really want the upgrade but know that with my current use, I couldn't justify the cost (not to mention I just don't have the money to spend on something like that). I really do like what I'm getting out of my XTi body and lenses, and realize what kind of benefits I'd get from upgrading the body, but price and realism are delaying that purchase a good bit.

If I end up getting to the point that I'm actually selling my stuff, then I'd consider buying a prosumer body, but that's a ways away.
are for fast drivers.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #18
97TurboDSM
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #849

My Ride:
'03 IY 20th GTI

yay for XTi!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #19
YellowMSP
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #563

My Ride:
'10 Evo X GSR

Send a message via AIM to YellowMSP
i'm gonna say whatever you decide to get and shoot with just buy used. no need to go out buying a new one cuz the used will do the same thing for a lot less

YellowMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #20
KaBlookie
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2784

My Ride:

Here are some pixel density numbers, with sensor sizes...for comparison (heh in case it would matter to anyone...):

D40x - 2.7 MP/cm², (3.69 cm²)
D60 - 2.7 MP/cm², (3.72 cm²)

XTi - 3.1 MP/cm², (3.28 cm²)
D80 - 2.7 MP/cm², (3.72 cm²)

XSi - 3.7 MP/cm², (3.28 cm²)
D90 - 3.3 MP/cm², (3.72 cm²)

40D - 3.1 MP/cm², (3.28 cm²)
50D - 4.5 MP/cm², (3.32 cm²)

D300 - 3.3 MP/cm², (3.72 cm²)
D700 - 1.4 MP/cm², (8.64 cm²)

One major trend you can see here is that these Canon bodies consistently have smaller sensors with higher pixel density than equivalent Nikons, which are the opposite (the D700 especially so), having larger sensors and lower pixel density.
are for fast drivers.

Last edited by KaBlookie; 11-24-2008 at 09:00 PM.