TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 09-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

The Today Show brings you, the Truman show...

Well... not exactly, but:

Quote:
The class of 2020
TODAY announces an unprecedented committment to a 13-year project
PRESS RELEASE
TODAY
Updated: 10:49 p.m. ET Sept 13, 2007

In an unprecedented commitment to a 13-year project, NBC News "Today" announces the series "Class of 2020," a project that will follow a class of kindergartners as they navigate the education system all the way through high school graduation. The first installment of "Class of 2020" airs Friday, September 14 on "Today" and will be reported by NBC News' Natalie Morales.

The goal of the series will be informative and solution-oriented with every installment offering a progress report on the children, the teachers and the parents. "Class of 2020" will look at the kids, the educators and their families' lives from several angles - witnessing important teaching moments as they happen in the classroom, watching students overcome difficult obstacles to succeed in school, and seeing how parents get involved to incorporate their children's homework and lessons into their daily routines at home. Over the next thirteen years, viewers will follow the lives and lessons of the students from that emotional first day in class to their high school graduation day in 2020.

The school participating in the series is in the San Fernando Valley area of the Los Angeles Unified School District. The elementary school is located in a diverse, middle-class neighborhood with a multicultural mix of white, Hispanic, Asian and African-American students as well as students of Middle Eastern descent.

"Class of 2020" will be shot, edited and broadcast in High Definition. In addition to its broadcast elements it will also have a strong online component on www.TODAYshow.com.

"Many families are facing similar situations in their own homes, so this unprecedented series will offer our viewers a window into today's public school system, and what educators and families are investing in their kids education," said Jim Bell, Executive Producer of "Today." "By the committing to this series, we are creating an extraordinary relationship between these children and our viewers as they watch them grow over the next thirteen years."
Cliff notes: read the first paragraph :-)

Personally... bad idea, I'd hate to be those kids in a year or two.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

the PEDOBEAR SHOW!
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
goodfella732
Tri-State Addict

Member #3168

My Ride:
Es Are Tee Quattro

You know this show will never make it to the end. People will get bored of it soon enough.

2006 OBP Subaru STi
goodfella732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

unless the kids start being interesting and shooting people and it turns into CSI 2020
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
wrx_snobordr
Tri-State Addict

Member #21

Whats the point? The teachers will put their best foot forward since the cameras are present, the parents are not going to want to look like scum so they will do the same. In a few years the kids will become pseudo celebrities like their neighbors down the street in the OC. They will try to milk it for all its worth, they will become coke heads and flunk out of school. Finally when 2020 rolls around and they are washed up has beens they will sue the Today show for ruining their lives.

The only way it would work is if it was like the Truman show and nobody knew they were on camera and if every week a different school was used so it would be impossible to prepare.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_snobordr View Post
The only way it would work is if it was like the Truman show and nobody knew they were on camera and if every week a different school was used so it would be impossible to prepare.
that wouldn't work due to legal issues and the schools legal department needing to ok the hidden cameras, etc.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
wrx_snobordr
Tri-State Addict

Member #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
that wouldn't work due to legal issues and the schools legal department needing to ok the hidden cameras, etc.
Obviously, I was just saying that would be the only way you would really see what is going on in schools.

I mean, a teacher is not going to show "loose change" in a classroom if they know they are being watched, but we know it is happening. A teacher is more likely to be engaging if she/he knows they are being watched, but if they didn't their true form would shine through.

We all remember those days when there was that mystery guy in the back of class and the teacher was acting different, almost as if they cared for a day.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

this seems stupid, it wont ever make it. Im already bored.
dragonfly2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote