TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Indrid Cold
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18770

My Ride:
2008 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR

Delaware Ticket question

I was at a stop light yesterday and a NCC officer pulled behind me. The light turned green and the lights came on. I pulled over and the officercame to my car and said " do you know how illegal th is car is?" I asked why? She first said the tint was to dark. I gave her my lic., insurance and registration and told her thatI have a waiver for that. Then she said that my wing is to high. I said to her that it does not block my rearview at all. Then she said myexhaust was not the stock one so that is illegal too. I didn't know it is illegal to swap ypur exhaust!!! She went to her car and came back with mandatory court appearance after I take my car to DMV for an inspection. The ticket was only for improper muffler, nothing else.

My questions are:
Is it illegal to have a tall spoiler on your car? I feel that this is why she pulled me over cause I have a tint waiver.

What will they test at DMV for my exhaust? Is there a decibel level it has to be under? Will they just plug into nu OBD? Is it legal to change your exhaust?

Thanks for any help!!
Indrid Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
WigWag44
[TST] Police Officer

Member #16486

My Ride:
Chevrolet Caprice

Have you taken your waiver to the DMV? In DE when we run your license plate if you have a waiver we are able to see that from our computer system, as long as you did it correctly. If you have, the Officer should have seen that.

I'm not aware of any spoiler law.

I'm assuming you were cited for improper muffler. How loud is your exhaust system? You can try to run your car through the inspection lane as is and see if it passes. If it fails, just try to correct the problem before the court date and bring all paperwork to court to show the Judge you're working on correcting same.

Did she give you a DMV inspection notice (fix-it ticket) or just tell you to take it to through the DMV before the court date?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Indrid Cold
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18770

My Ride:

She gave me a mandatory inspection notice and mandatory court appearance with the ticket. I do have the tint waiver and it states it on my registation. I guessed she missed that when she ran my plates.

I took it through inspection and it passed everything. Just sucks because I missed half a day of work for inspection now I will miss half a day going to court showing that it passed inspection.

When I told them about the ticket for the exhast they laughed cause there are a lot louder cars and bikes that come through there. In my opinion it is louder than stock, but not crazy loud. They asked if she had a meter out to see how loud it was. They said they will never do that test, but they could do it if they wanted too.

They said nothing about the wing on the back but did make me pull a sticker off my front windshield.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
WigWag44
[TST] Police Officer

Member #16486

My Ride:
Chevrolet Caprice

Gotcha. Well it sounds like you've done everything you need to do...now just take that paperwork to your court date. Explain to the Judge what happened and what you've done since the traffic stop and I'm sure he or she will help you out.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Indrid Cold
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #18770

My Ride:

Thanks WigWag! I will ask to have all documents copied as well to keep in my vehicle for future run-ins.