TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Rtaylor21
Tri-State Aficionado
Banned

Member #13521

My Ride:
94 civichatch

"r" title question

so i have a s14 that has an r title. it was reconstructed in ny, so in pa the title is considered salvage. i need to go to a special shop and have them take pics then itll get registered. it has all working lights and everything itll pass with no problem. but i have a new bumper i want to put it on. do you think the car will pass with a different aftermarket front bumper? lights will still be in place and working. i can wait but tomorrow i have funeral and im bored now and wanna do it
Rtaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
OutToWinPAHC
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5081

My Ride:
R33 GTS25T, RHD E46, Truck, part R32 GTR

Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
A PA salvage title required the vehicle to be inspected by and advanced inspection station. Cost is 300-400 bucks, and when you pass you get the title brand R for reconstructed or others if your apply for them. Now if the NY title is reconstructed then it should transfer over with the same or similar brand. The inspection stations are listed on the PA website. If you need to get reinspected and the car is safe, repair is good, bumper and lights are all secure I see no issue.
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
92awdtsi
Tri-State Addict

Member #8248

My Ride:
92 talon tsi awd

if everything works, it doesn't matter if the parts are oem or aftermarket. Goose Car Farm in perkasie is an enhanced inspection station. I highly recommend them.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
Rtaylor21
Tri-State Aficionado
Banned

Member #13521

My Ride:
94 civichatch

is it just a visual inspection?
Rtaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Ace
Tri-State Addict

Member #2832

My Ride:
97 Nissan 240sx

Send a message via AIM to Ace
I am an enhanced inspection station

The car needs to pass the 'enhanced' process, which essentiall entials a true 'pa inspection'...everything needs to be in proper condition, working, and as OEM as possible. The big thing to remember is that we need to take pictures of the car (at least we do that, most people can't even do this right) of all 4 corners of the car...so if it's jank, it will get turned down by the state.

Much like any PA inspection, it needs to be in perfect order:
-Proper Repairs
-Good brakes/tires etc etc
-No suspension issues
-Body in decent shape
-NO AIR BAG LIGHT (this is a big one)
-and most importantly: All reciepts on how it was repaired, or how you obtained the parts (otherwise the state is going to tax you for the value of the car)

So while aftermarket panels are 'ok' they need to be installed correctly.

We/Ace Trucking charges 135 dollars pass, 100 dollars fall+35 upon re inspection. We can also provide tax/tag service, and inspect it aferward for you. One stop shopping. IF you have any questions please PM me, as I can help you out to have it passed anywhere in PA at any station.
Do you want AC to work in your SR swapped 240? PM me to find out how...
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
Ace
Tri-State Addict

Member #2832

My Ride:
97 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92awdtsi View Post
if everything works, it doesn't matter if the parts are oem or aftermarket. Goose Car Farm in perkasie is an enhanced inspection station. I highly recommend them.
Do a degree it does. If you've got some sort of wacky invader kit on the car, the state may reject it.

Edit: Same with lights, some aftermarket(read: gaudy) wheels, and super lowered etc etc. Once it leaves the enhanced shop, the state gives final approval. We recently had a newer Land Rover rejected by the state for oversized wheels, when they were factory ones (which we knew). Had to send paperwork back explaining they were OEM and then it was ok.

The big thing is to have as much paperwork as you possibly can (proof of paying sales tax) when doing it. It's not like buying a car where you can scrub off the 'gift' lie, as the state will bill you for owed taxes on these (we've had a few already try to cheat the system and get caught)

Off topic: Stay away from homebuilt trailers that you buy that dont' have cert. of origin/titles...they are a nitemare.

Last edited by Ace; 07-06-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Off topic: Stay away from homebuilt trailers that you buy that dont' have cert. of origin/titles...they are a nitemare.
First of all, great info!

And yeah, +1 on the homemade trailer thing. Trailers aren't really that expensive, save yourself the hassle and buy a legit one.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Thats for the info Ace always wondered how hard it is to get a salvage title inspected. Doesn't sound that bad.

Miatas! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

MY EVO (Sold)-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Ace
Tri-State Addict

Member #2832

My Ride:
97 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovXietday View Post
First of all, great info!

And yeah, +1 on the homemade trailer thing. Trailers aren't really that expensive, save yourself the hassle and buy a legit one.
Even with the small trailers that people put to together from HF need to be registered as a homebuilt...so by the time you buy them, put it together, and then pay the enhanced fee and registration...it's easier to buy a legit trailer that is done already.

But by far, the biggest PITA are the trailers...no body ever seems to have paperwork, and while it may pass 'our' side of it, the state will still need more proof of how it was built.

Another thing for those wondering, is that if you are going to buy a second car for 'parts' to make sure you have proof ot he purchase (aka: that title) as well. Seems to be an ever growing amount of guys coming in with repaired cars and no proof of where the parts come from. State really hates that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAdutch View Post
Thats for the info Ace always wondered how hard it is to get a salvage title inspected. Doesn't sound that bad.
Yea it's really not that hard. As before, you can have the enhanced done anywhere, but rates and timeframe all very per shop. With us, we do them all by drop off appointment and they are always done same day. Once you get the Enhanced one, you can leave the car go as that, or you can insure/register it, and get a regular PA sticker than as well right after.

Each case though is certainly different...NY and NJ to PA re generally easy, aside from one type of S title (the number escapes me, but essentially it requires them to be salvaged in NJ, then again in PA). PA to PA is easy, but takes longer to get your stuff back.

If you guys have any questions, I'll try to answer them here for you, or you can PM me for the shop number. It's a confusing process to say the least.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
FazdaGt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3161

My Ride:
compensates for my size.

Send a message via AIM to FazdaGt
Ace, the info you've posted is some of the most informative I've read on this site. Thanks!

I've dealt with the process and it wasn't fun, but not too terrible either.

Used parts seemed to be a big no-no unless you could prove ownership of the car they came from, can you shed any light on that?

Quote:
"Hi, Italy? I broke one of your Lambos, I can has new oil pan and bumper?"
FazdaGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Ace
Tri-State Addict

Member #2832

My Ride:
97 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazdaGt View Post
Ace, the info you've posted is some of the most informative I've read on this site. Thanks!

I've dealt with the process and it wasn't fun, but not too terrible either.

Used parts seemed to be a big no-no unless you could prove ownership of the car they came from, can you shed any light on that?
It's not so much buying used parts, but the fact that the state really wants to know where they came from...either Junk yard receipts, or paper trail of things...we'll get some guys that come in that replace the entire front end of a car and then have no proof ('oh i got it from my cousin/brother/friend/internet/etc'). It's no so much that you will get denied, it's the fact the state wants to collect their tax on the car.

The process itself is pretty easy, it's just that not many know about how to go about it, and most places aren't really helpful (in include the DMV they are often the worst to ask). We've been doing these now for 3 or so years now/2-3 a week usually....everything from trailers to big rigs. To me, the best way to do it is ask a shop what they need/require first before showing up...way to many people come to the shop with information that isn't even required or with the attitude that they know how it works...when 9/10 those people have zero clue. We actually do everything (picture/forms/etc etc) as it really saves time and hassle in the end.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
Ace
Tri-State Addict

Member #2832

My Ride:
97 Nissan 240sx

Which reminds me

-Another thing (as we do ours by drop off) is the time required. It's not a simple 30 minute deal, it's a true complete inspection and a good deal of paperwork and online work. While legally you shouldn't be driving an R title car around (transit plates are not legal either for R title out of state stuff, so if you do get one it is not correct) the bottom line is be safe and have it towed to a shop, and let them take their time. Total timeframe should only be about 45-1 hour for the mechanic side of it, and 1 for the paperwork, however with any shop, it often takes longer than that.

-Once you get the enhanced process complete, the car is still not legal to drive. You need to insure and register the car. THEN you need a PA inspection sticker as well. With that all said, you can perform the enhanced inspection, and leave it that that, especially if you're just going to sell it

-Latly, be aware of who does your repair, and what you're getting involved with. R title cars 9/10 are pretty beat up (some are stolen/flood/drug and they are easy)...that good deal you may find at the auction often times ends up not saing much money in the grand scheme of things, and the value of the car is still not the same as a non-salvaged car. All to often we see 'good deal' cars come in, and leave...knowing full well they didn't save any cash.