TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Member Journals
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #901
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrace03 View Post
Task failed successfully
Bahaha precise engineering on my part of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by empera View Post
Selling that m3 yet? lol

Keep up the good work my friend!
At this point I’ll be able to trade it for a Ferrari- I’ve never seen something appreciate so fast broken and covered in dust

Thanks man! It’s been a long time coming, but it feels like the end of the tunnel is near.
blue91lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #902
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

One huge thing that I have been anticipated for ages is finished- the exhaust! A buddy bailed that was supposed to do the exhaust after so many shops bailed on me, but he sent me to a guy who ended up being incredibly kind/talented and fairly priced, so I'd say it was worth the wait.

This is IE Stage 2 long tubes, 32" after collectors of dual 2.25" into a magnaflow Y Pipe converting system to single 2.5", into a Vibrant Ultra Quiet, into a Magnaflow 14815 muffler. I think it sounds fantastic.

Issues I'm having: See smoke, car is running crazy rich still, has a 1211 code for the DME/Chip, misfires bad at 5500, and doesn't idle (randomly idled perfect for exhaust video, though). Overall something is unhappy. Going to grab another ECU to test.

Right click 3rd picture (open in new tab) for exhaust video!

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
Old 06-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #903
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

This thing runs like ass, and I hate to say it, but I have diagnosed it down to the tune. It is running so rich I only get 50 miles out of a set of plugs, if not less.

My buddy Jake (owner of https://www.classicdaily.net/) is coming down from MI to hang for a few days to attend a local Bimmer meet. He happens to build/tune badass cars for a living and happens to have a standalone on the shelf for this car, so tomorrow we're going to toss in an MS2 unit and AEM wideband and put a proper tune on the car! Very, very excited to get this thing running proper.

Plug foulin cruisin'

Washin'

​​​​​​​Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Ended up doing a light polish with sonax perfect finish, and coated with some hybrid ceramic to seal it up from UV death. The paint is largely tired, but it's perfect for cruising and not caring. Don't mind my workbench of a thousand parts.

Last edited by blue91lx; 06-17-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #904
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Jake came into town for the Reggies Motorworks open house and........WE CONVERTED LINDA TO MEGASQUIRT

!!

He came in on Friday and we stayed up until 4am getting the wideband wired in and getting the car fired up on the standalone.

The meet was at 10am the following day, and we (jake) tuned the car on the way to the meet.

Linda absolutely rips- the variable TPS ended up being inop so we tuned without it, and we used the IAT in the AFM for the time being but....... the car on standalone feels absolutely incredible. I was so stoked that I forgot to get a photo with the other E30s at the open house, but right click on the last image (open in new tab) for a quick little 1-3 pull after tuning.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #905
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Subaru engine updates!

The guy that does all of my machine work for the BMWs and Subarus is a little Yoda of a machinist, and is making great progress on the Foresters EJ255!

The oil drain holes in the pistons were clogged, there were some clogged oil passages in the block due to bad seals, and one of the HGs had a leak on the combustion side of things. I didn't drive on it when it started acting up, and nothing was damaged. The bores mic'd out perfectly with no distortion whatsoever, and the crank plastigauged perfectly as well! All good news. Anyway, enjoy some photos:

Old 07-12-2021, 10:52 AM   #906
sleeperSL2
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #8422

Send a message via AIM to sleeperSL2
Good ol' Subaru things lol Looks nice and clean now though !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Kyle
sleeperSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #907
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Send a message via AIM to DocWalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue91lx View Post
Jake came into town for the Reggies Motorworks open house and........WE CONVERTED LINDA TO MEGASQUIRT

!!

He came in on Friday and we stayed up until 4am getting the wideband wired in and getting the car fired up on the standalone.

The meet was at 10am the following day, and we (jake) tuned the car on the way to the meet.

Linda absolutely rips- the variable TPS ended up being inop so we tuned without it, and we used the IAT in the AFM for the time being but....... the car on standalone feels absolutely incredible. I was so stoked that I forgot to get a photo with the other E30s at the open house, but right click on the last image (open in new tab) for a quick little 1-3 pull after tuning.
Man, that sounds so good.

Not at all surprised that MegaSquirt is working well for you. It's a bit fiddly to get going, but a tuner with experience with the setup and how to make it cold start and idle well can skip all of the really painful steps of tuning.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #908
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Man, that sounds so good.

Not at all surprised that MegaSquirt is working well for you. It's a bit fiddly to get going, but a tuner with experience with the setup and how to make it cold start and idle well can skip all of the really painful steps of tuning.
Thanks! I thought so too. The car sounds quite different from all of the E30s I've had.

And yep, setting the VE tables, getting idle right, getting tip in to feel right, etc was all a breeze because this is all he does. I imagine it would've taken me a month what he was able to do on a 30 minute drive.

Scooby engine is done! Luk clutch kit came in, so I can begin reassembly.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #909
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Looking good! I bet you'll have that sucker in by the time you read this, haha
Old 07-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #910
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Looking good! I bet you'll have that sucker in by the time you read this, haha
Bahaha yep, I’m starting reassembly today, but ultimately will be waiting for my TD04 Melett CHRA before I toss the motor in.

Last edited by blue91lx; 07-20-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #911
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

I got the correct '91 318 fuel pump/hanger installed in the diamondschwartz sedan (return line integrated into the pump hanger), as well as new plugs to try to get it running finally. Turned over by hand fine. Hooked battery up, turned it over with starter..... sounds like no compression. Verified 0 compression on all 4.

Started investigating, took VC off and turned over by hand, and timing chain is skipping on crank, me thinks timing chain idler pulley and/or tensioner failed. Something is also getting lodged in the timing system causing it to bind (likely part of whatever is broken. I think the harness was cut and sold as a non-runner from the get go, and no one could get it running after, thus turning it into a parts car. I am certain valves are bent, and who knows what else is damaged.

What a bummer. Don't know what the plan is at this point. I don't have time for this 318 to be the magnitude of project it turned out to be. I suppose if I could find a known running/good condition m42 that didn't require a heap of work I could just swap that in, but m42s are now fairly difficult/expensive to find in known good condition, for whatever reason (just like all other e30 parts).

The whole goal of this project was to enjoy the car while I fix it up, and use it for parts testing, and it is just turning into a giant "work on and never get to drive" project that I have no capacity for, like all of the others.

So in true Bobbie fashion, I scooped up this lachssilber '89 325iS from NC that runs and has very little rust. Gonna make it safe (timing belt, some brake/fuel lines, tune up), and just use that car to fulfill the role that hoopte #4 was supposed to fulfill. Womp womp, life goes on.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #912
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

Boo. Bad luck
Old 07-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #913
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Quote:
Boo. Bad luck
Yep, so frustrating, especially after having to do an entire chassis harness on a car that I only ever anticipated doing an engine harness and tune up on. Oh well, life goes on!

Gettin hoopte #5 road worthy has been satisfying, however.

Timing belt/tensioner, water pump, cam seal, cap/rotor, plugs, intake boot, vc breather hose, FPR vacuum hose, and a few other odds and ends has this thing running great.

Not so good: head is nasty with grime, OG hex head bolts, head gasket leak from front corner that I'm going to pretend isn't there.

The PO was able to bleed the front brakes but not the rear, so I'm going to replace brake lines and calipers tomorrow to see if I can get the brakes fully functional.

Shocks/Struts are all blown, and I'm sure the whole suspension needs a refresh, but can still send it in the mean time as long as brakes/hoses/etc are all brought up to date.

Cluster has a bad SI board that I'll see if I can fix over the weekend.

Coolant was disgusting and I was on borrowed time with the timing belt:

Head gasket seepage after I wiped it away to make sure it wasn't cam seal seepage.

Lash was in spec, cam lobes were in good shape, but head is diiirrty. I had a cleaner VC on the shelf that I threw on.

Threw some stuff in the parts washer but didn't go too crazy.

These are missing on every single M20 I come across so I keep a bag on the shelf.

Plugs were mint

Replaced the bubbling coolant hoses with whatever I had on the shelf. Going to have to flush the coolant a few times, so I'm not too worried about doing a full cooling system overhaul just yet.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #914
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Hoopte #5 is fun - the rear brake hoses/calipers were filled with rust and/or collapsed and/or bad, so I stopped by the warehouse and poked around and found an unused set of braided rear brake lines, new rotors, rebuilt ATE rear calipers, and tossed all of that stuff on with KYBs and H&R OE Sports, with some shock mount brackets I had lying around.

The front control arms are so roasted that they are unsafe, so I ordered some control arms and E36 solid rubber centered bushings, along with f/r endlinks. Once those show up I'll probably toss on the wheels from hoopte #4 since they have good tires and start dailying it.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #915
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Xterra has had 3 new plugs for quite a few months now. Finally got new intake plenum bolts/studs from Nissan so I could go about extracting the old rusty plenum bolts so I could remove said plenum and replace the other 3 plugs.

Much anti-seize and cosmoline was used in hopes to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Smelled a smell in the new E30. Found the smell. I didn't even take a photo of the under dash panel, I just threw it out, as it was a rodent litter box, and caught whatever didn't make it to the ECU. I have some deep cleaning ahead of me.

I installed KYBs (not ideal, but super free) onto these H&R OE Sport springs with E90 Drop hats and new Sachs USMs onto good housings with rebuilt calipers and rusty but new rotors.

Waiting on a few orders with control arms and E36 (non-offset) control arm bushings, swaybar endlinks, front braided brake lines (only had rears on the shelf), and a non-airbag E36 rack swap kit before I button up the front suspension, which may be a few weeks

I pulled hoopte #5's cluster apart to diagnose what I assumed was a bad SI board (dead tach and coolant temp). Apparently the cluster was pulled from the Atlantic, as most bits were destroyed. SI board was heavily corroded throughout, NiCad batteries leaked, and it was also "long screwed" by the hillbilly Cory bought the car from.

Main board was also heavily corroded.

Took a good spare SI board, good spare main board, good spare tach, and polished a cluster lens and made it all work again!

Yuuummmmm

Good main and SI boards

All better. ODO gears are shot, but I ordered them through Garagistic, so it may be next year until I receive them, so I just put it back together for now.

Last edited by blue91lx; 07-24-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #916
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Spent my first time on track and doing AutoX today in new BMWs, on the IMS road course and a small autocross- such an experience, and it got me hooked.

My best run, out of a measly 3. There are 10000 things I did wrong, but driving behind an instructor on the road course helped wonders in just a short time.

(click photo for autox vid)

Old 08-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #917
blue91lx
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #21697

Hoopte #5 went on her maiden voyage after I buttoned up the suspension.

I had a spare Z3M rack that I told myself I was not going to install, but ended up convincing myself to do so. I am glad I did.

I did:

H&R OE Sports (50404-55) (because KYBs)
E90 Drop Hats
KYB Struts/Shocks
Sachs USMs F&R
E36 Solid Centered CABs
Meyle Control Arms and Inner/outer Tie Rods
Z3M Rack 3.2(?) turns L2L
Rebuilt Calipers F&R w/ new pads and blank rotors
Front and Rear Stainless braided brake lines

Even after idling the car for a while and taking it around the block all of the smoke has cleared up and it's starting to run better and better. I am going to run some seafoam through her in lieu of the disgusting-ness that I saw when I had the valve cover off.

My old school O.Z.'s for whatever reason are rubbing on the new calipers. They're VW fitment, I learned, and are only 14x6, et33.

To reward Hoopte#5 I bought her some new shoes, which I will reveal at a later date.

OH, and a super cool chap gave me a well maintained M42 for Hoopte#4 for free- funny how things work out.

New but rusty rotors I had at the warehouse on a set of nice housings.

by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Rack and modified linkage. Need to file some of the steering joint, as I am getting a small bit of binding.

Free M42 (broken Subaru in background)

This car is a POS, but it is reaaaaaly growing on me.

​​​​​​​Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Subaru turbo rebuild time. I don't want any added power in lieu of keeping things stock, so I opted to rebuild the TD04 with a high quality Mellett CHRA.

I found an up pipe flex joint that was about to start to fray into the turbo, as well as an about-to-clog oil feed banjo bolt. While not exactly the most fun or time efficient, I am glad I am going slowly through each system to avoid future failures. Also, the turbo nuts were all previously destroyed and then left for me to find, so I disassembled the turbo down to the exhaust housing, still attached to the up pipe, so I could gain better access to extract the stripped nuts.

All together! I have the turbo wastegate vacuum lines (the T with the restrictor) on order through Subaru, as well as a few smaller coolant/oil lines to 'complete' the rebuild.

Pics of the almost carnage:

Last edited by blue91lx; 08-27-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #918
Shipman
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #20326

My Ride:
06 STi/08 Legacy/10 Forester

I don’t know if I’m more impressed by the work you put into these cars or the work you put into this forum lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
Not as dead as TST apparently.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:17 PM   #919
DocWalt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10805

My Ride:
'92 GTI, '19 MX-5

lmao. True story. I love the detailed updates!
Old 08-31-2021, 01:21 PM   #920
PAdutch
Tri-State Addict

Member #17024

My Ride:
Miata, Miata, Genesis, 08 burb 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
I don’t know if I’m more impressed by the work you put into these cars or the work you put into this forum lol.

Hey 5 of us really enjoy his work

Miatas! -

MY EVO (Sold)-
PAdutch is offline   Reply With Quote