TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

so i have to replace a turbo in a cx7...i hate being a mechanic

about a month ago a cx7 came in and they complained of dark smoke (it is blue) coming from the exhaust. when u let it idle its fine, after a few mins of idling u romp on it and blue smoke pours out....yeah the turbos junk....turns out mazda knows of the problem and has updated turbos bc the seals blah blah blah who cares..i ordered a new turbo....onto the MESS that is turbo replacement.

first thing to know, it pays 4.2 hours under warranty, for those of u who dont understand warranty pay, its a fraction of the time u will actulaly spend on it.....4.2 hours is like 8 for me....not good.

its a whore.

its mounted by the firewall, u need to remove the TMIC, intake piping, battery and lower mounting cover, wiper arms, dash cowl, wiper motor, lower dash cowl, POWER TAKE OFF UNIT, Passenger side axle, both front wheels, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, alternator....

i could go on...

there are endless covers for heat all over the turbo and manifold, the o2 sensor in the warm up cat is bolted ina way that u need to remove the sensor in order to get off the cover, the cover blocks access to the bolts for the exhaust outlet off the turbo...

the 02 sensor;'s threads was stripped....

then trying to get it out i rounded off the sensor....not good....so i had to order a new sensor, and cat converter, and new cover bc i had to use a wizzer to cut off the cover....to access the nuts....which came out with the studs...

the hell continues but its dinner time...

thread will continue in 24 mins..
EDITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
anyway, im back so tot ake the PTO off u have to remove the cat, to take the cat off u have to remove its bolts, to take its bolts off u have to remove the cover to take the cover off u have to remove the 02 sensor....the snors broke on me

Last edited by NOPSTNS; 03-31-2008 at 07:06 PM.
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

You think you have it bad? I'm replacing a wiring harness in a Z32 300zx Twin Turbo. Also sucks the big one.
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
NOPSTNS
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3176

i know u know this one...fuel line recall on FD rx7's....

replacing 32 of 35 vac hoses without breakinf 15 yr old solenoids...yeah not easy
NOPSTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
zerioustt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1356

Send a message via AIM to zerioustt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTagTeam View Post
You think you have it bad? I'm replacing a wiring harness in a Z32 300zx Twin Turbo. Also sucks the big one.
can be done in about 4 hours with 2 guys and jack stands....not really that bad for having to remove engine, trans, exhaust, and drive shaft.

frank f warranty work!

your mom has no thumbs and hitch hikes like this...

Quote:
Yea seriously. Zerioustt is a toolbag.
zerioustt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
pinacup7
Tri-State Addict

Member #1764

My Ride:
Baaaaahd GTO

Send a message via AIM to pinacup7
yea I hate warranty work... gotta love them cash tickets tho. Nothin like 5 hours to do front and rear brakes. I feel your pain tho, I had to do a cat on a rdx that bolts right to the turbo. Such a pita

Last edited by pinacup7; 03-31-2008 at 08:12 PM.
pinacup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Couldn't take it out from the bottom instead?

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

that does suck the big one, but you're getting paid to do so.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly2k3 View Post
that does suck the big one, but you're getting paid to do so.
No, not really. He's only getting 4.2 hours to do the work and it will most definitely take him considerably longer.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

See, i dont understand how that works. The factory can't force you to do the work and not get paid for it, could you not just deny the customer(of course that is the bad thing to do) However, if your prices are fair and your work was quality surely you could find customers who would pay for the full job to do instead?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Boosted08
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7377

My Ride:
08 Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Boosted08
umm no working at a dealership customers will not pay extra if the factory says it can be done in 4.2 would you pay an extra 4 hours on a job when its 90$ an hour that 360 more of labor just because you feel like being nice?
Boosted08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPSTNS View Post
i know u know this one...fuel line recall on FD rx7's....

replacing 32 of 35 vac hoses without breakinf 15 yr old solenoids...yeah not easy
That's why I went single turbo and stainless steel fuel lines

The "rats nest" is the single most horrible part in owning an FD.
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

If the job takes 9 hours it takes 9 hours. 4.2 hours would be the time it takes to complete the job on a brand new car assuming no problems. Everytime Ive ever gone to a shop you pay for the time it takes to do the job, not how long the manufacturer thinks it should take.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
pinacup7
Tri-State Addict

Member #1764

My Ride:
Baaaaahd GTO

Quote:
If the job takes 9 hours it takes 9 hours. 4.2 hours would be the time it takes to complete the job on a brand new car assuming no problems. Everytime Ive ever gone to a shop you pay for the time it takes to do the job, not how long the manufacturer thinks it should take.
Its called flat rate.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Boosted08
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #7377

My Ride:
08 Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Boosted08
^^^^^^^
flat rate it is 4.2 is what it says 4.2 is what you get paid unless your service advisor argues you some more money
Boosted08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
DonsGT1999
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4455

My Ride:
92 BMW 325i "Sinister Six"

Send a message via AIM to DonsGT1999 Send a message via Yahoo to DonsGT1999
Yes he's getting screwed because he's only getting paid for the 4.2 hours and he's only making 1/2 the money he SHOULD be making... Reason why I am no longer a mechanic
Old 03-31-2008, 11:57 PM   #16
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

is there a way to avoid that? I assume this is only a problem at dealers? Also, when you work at a dealership that pays you on-the-clock hours and not wrench-in-hand hours, do you get screwed as well or does the dealer eat the loss? That seems like a really ****ty deal and surely not every job can be like that.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
ThePrimerSuspect
Tri-State Addict

Member #1241

Send a message via AIM to ThePrimerSuspect
Quote:
is there a way to avoid that? I assume this is only a problem at dealers? Also, when you work at a dealership that pays you on-the-clock hours and not wrench-in-hand hours, do you get screwed as well or does the dealer eat the loss? That seems like a really ****ty deal and surely not every job can be like that.
flat rate sucks. plain and simple. actually, it doesnt always. cash work is good depending on the job. ill give you an example from when i was at honda. i used to masturbate to 96-00 civics. i had a list. it went like this.............

trailing arm bushings - 4.0 hours
lower ball joints - 4.0 hours
oil pan gasket - 3.5 hours
timing belt - 5.0 hours
90k service - 3.0 hours
4 wheel alignment 1.5 hours

and if i was lucky enough
4 tires - 1.6 hours
b-pipe and muffler - 1.5 hours
sway bar links - 1.0 hours

thats 25.1 hours that i could literally blow out before lunch time. sometimes i would even take 10-15 hours off just to get the job because it was still amazing money. the best i ever did was 16 hours on a 99 accord in an hour and a half.

but my problem was that certain people in the shop were getting all of these type of jobs, and i was getting all the warranty bull**** because they figured out that i was good at it. so if i had played dumb i would probably still be making great money.

before i left, i had this ****ing ridgeline with a waterleak that only happened when the car was parked at a specific angle. and this guys driveway happened to be at this exact angle. so it took me 3 months to find it, and about 2 weeks to actually fix it. because, what no one knew (not even the 2 ****ing engineers they sent out) was that water was supposed to come in everywhere i was seeing water, but there was a seam about a half inch long that wasnt properly welded that needed to be sealed.

but anyway, my point is that i ended up getting about 35 hours for it when i easily had over a hundred into it. not to mention all the money i lost because of the cars that i wasnt getting, and this was all during our busy season. so i did the math and i ended up losing about $10k last year just because of that truck. and the place i was working at didnt seem to see a problem with this and couldnt figure out why i was so upset.

sorry, i dont really know why i rambled on, and sorry for the threadjack. but dealerships suck. the entire automotive industry sucks and nothing in this world makes me happier, than to not be a tech anymore!!!!
ThePrimerSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #18
pinacup7
Tri-State Addict

Member #1764

My Ride:
Baaaaahd GTO

yea alignmnets and 1.6, 4 tires are 1.6 m+b, fr brakes 2.5, rr brakes 2.5 trans service is .4, air is .2. You get the idea
Old 04-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #19
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Quote:
Primer pretty much nailed it, each job is given a specific amount of time that it's rated at. Non-warranty work is almost always gold, as long as you can get it done quickly and faster than the time "allotted."

Warranty work however, is almost always cheaped out on by the dealership. So if you do a lot of warranty work you won't make hours, plain and simple. It sucks.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

that warranty **** blows. I love those hours for the civics. You could literally knock out a timing belt in under 2.5hours on a single cam fron the time the car parks to the time it starts haha. Thats pretty sweet.