TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
300zTT
Tri-State Addict

Member #1087

My Ride:
300zx tt,

Send a message via AIM to 300zTT
shocks blew?????

how would i know if my shocks blew? i have the stock EDFC on my car for the shocks wen i put it on sport it gets hard and wen i put it on turing it get soft.. so its works... but for some reason the car looks realy high.. higher then stock i think.. if the shocks are blowen would the car ride higher.. how about if the springs are bad.. would that cause it ???.. thanks
small tatas is where its at yo!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
300zTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
OMG what a thread...

Any reason why you made two of the same threads? One in off-topic and one in suspension/brakes?

That is so awesome how TEIN designed the EDFC unit for the 300zx 17 years ago, and it comes from the factory! Just amazing....

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
300zTT
Tri-State Addict

Member #1087

My Ride:
300zx tt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwrxkid
OMG what a thread...

Any reason why you made two of the same threads? One in off-topic and one in suspension/brakes?

That is so awesome how TEIN designed the EDFC unit for the 300zx 17 years ago, and it comes from the factory! Just amazing....
i didnt mean to post it in off topic.. i was goiong to post it in off topic then i realized we have a suspention section so i copy and pasted but presses post on both!!! im a loser
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Shocks have no effect on ride height.

That said...

bad springs would cause your car to sit lower. It's referred to as spring sag.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
ho1ywars
Tri-State Addict

Member #282

My Ride:
S14, EF, 600RR

Send a message via AIM to ho1ywars
if you blow a shock or strut, the car will float. A shock stabalizes the car after a bump so it doesnt continue to bounce up and dow non the spring. it absorbs the bump and settles the car. if you cant tell by the ride, you can tell by walking around and pushing down on the corners of the car. if you ahve a blown strut, or shock, it will sink down much faster then the other corners, and rebound right back up.
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho1ywars
if you blow a shock or strut, the car will float. A shock stabalizes the car after a bump so it doesnt continue to bounce up and dow non the spring. it absorbs the bump and settles the car. if you cant tell by the ride, you can tell by walking around and pushing down on the corners of the car. if you ahve a blown strut, or shock, it will sink down much faster then the other corners, and rebound right back up.
That's only 1 way to test a shock. Bad shocks can pass the "jounce" test that you mentioned. It's SUPPOSED to stop within 3 bounces.

There's other ways, but I can't remember them at the moment.
I highly encourage you to be pedophiles in the privacy of your own home, and to cross your fingers you never have your house raided by the FBI who will put you in jail for 30 years where you will be treated like one of the preteen little girls who you used to adore so much.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Gsxtacyno2
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #306

jounce test would work... do they look like they're damp? could be leaking
Old 06-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
cburwell
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwrxkid
OMG what a thread...

OMG WTF, what a response... Idiot!

How does the ride feel? As some people already mentioned, blown shocks tend to give you a bouncy ride. Have you noticed anything else that would indicate blown shocks, other then the symptoms you listed?

-

"The Corvette took nearly 25 years to sell 500,000 units; the Z does it in fewer than 10."

Last edited by cburwell; 06-05-2006 at 09:27 PM.
cburwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
ho1ywars
Tri-State Addict

Member #282

My Ride:
S14, EF, 600RR

Send a message via AIM to ho1ywars
you should beable to tell when you drive. That **** will be floating and tipping all over the place in the corners.
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #10
Wiisass
Tri-State Addict

Member #744

Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
You should be able to feel blown shocks, but since the damping ratio on stock shocks is usually very low, it might would be harder to tell. Take a look at the shocks to see if they're leaking anywhere. If they are, then the seals are worn out. They could also be leaking the gas out which you wouldn't be able to tell with the shocks on the car. But if you were to take them off the car you would be able to compress the shock and it wouldn't return to full extension because the pressure has leaked out.

Like others have said, you can jounce the car and see how long it takes to stop. State inspection rules say 3 cycles until stopping otherwise the shocks need to be replaced. So if you think they're blown try jouncing each corner and see how long it takes to settle.

You should be able to feel it when you drive at well. When you take a corner really try and feel the car, when you go into a corner does the car seem to roll for a while. Does it seem to come back quickly when you go through a slalom or chicane. You should be able to feel the damping if it's there.

But it also looks like you drive a Z32 and it seems like you have stock shocks, so just from that I'm going to guess that they're blown. The stock in-car adjustment will still work because it adjusts the orifice size inside the damper. This will always change even if the shock has no fluid at all inside it, so you should feel a difference, but I gaurantee the shocks are not at the level they're supposed to be.

Just put the TIP In.

Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #11
300zTT
Tri-State Addict

Member #1087

My Ride:
300zx tt,

well the car feels the same all the shocks are nice and stiff.. i dont think they are blown .. but why would my car look higher the other Z32's????
Old 06-06-2006, 01:52 AM   #12
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
cause its got stage 3 jdm weight reduction?

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:23 AM   #13
Wiisass
Tri-State Addict

Member #744

Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Like Troll said, any weight reduction will make the car sit higher. Otherwise, worn out springs will sag and make the car sit a little lower. If you haven't done any weight reduction, then it's probably just an optical illusion, that makes you think your car is higher becuase you haven't lowered it enough. It's a common thing and the only cure is to lower the car like it should be.

Just put the TIP In.

Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #14
99SL2_Modder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #264

My Ride:
2009 Saturn Aura XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass
Like Troll said, any weight reduction will make the car sit higher. Otherwise, worn out springs will sag and make the car sit a little lower. If you haven't done any weight reduction, then it's probably just an optical illusion, that makes you think your car is higher becuase you haven't lowered it enough. It's a common thing and the only cure is to lower the car like it should be.
Or if your rims are too big.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #15
300zTT
Tri-State Addict

Member #1087

My Ride:
300zx tt,

no weight reductions at all except taking the spare out.....mybe im just seeing things car weighed in at 3598 today at the track