TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
olsookie
Tri-State Addict

Member #806

My Ride:
2013 S4

Send a message via AIM to olsookie Send a message via MSN to olsookie
experience w/ M3 and EVO

Anyone have experience with both an EVO and an M3?

just looking to hear some personal opinions from someone who has driven/owned both cars.

thanks
olsookie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
05 Apexi Silver EVO with a bad azz Perrin Antannae
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SOLD!
The M has arrived!
and now is SOLD!
Move over M
The X is here!
SOLD!
Jetta TDI - it's all about TQ and Fuel Economy!
olsookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
9 Ball
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #70

My Ride:
2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII

Depends. What would you like to know?

I’ve driven “Philly Boy’s” M3 several times.

Last edited by 9 Ball; 04-02-2007 at 02:24 PM.
9 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
HKS83
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2993

As in which to buy? I've driven John's M3 numerous times and if you can afford it by all means purchase the M3. The Evolution is more practical and will net higher hp figures if you dump money into it, but the M3 straight from the factory is so sweet (I would never modify an E46 M3.)
HKS83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
markley02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #390

My Ride:
05 Honda Odessey

E36 or E46?

I have / sort of still own an e36 and an evo

Dumb ass for not changing my password.

I lied about everything. All of it. I owned some great cars because my ex wife dedicated her life to me. I treated her like total sh**, because my d**k was more important than she was! She divorced me.

I am into drugs and Motorcycles, guns and my bff Brandon and girls that look just like my mother. Pronouns: they, them. hyper-sexual narcissist.

markley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
90IntegraC1
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4160

My Ride:
1990 Integra

Send a message via AIM to 90IntegraC1
I drove my friends Evo 8 to school and back for a week (45 mins both ways) and loved everything about it.

It rides smoother and quieter than a sti, even with coilovers, and the precision of steering is unlike anything I've ever driven. I haven't driven a M3, but have gone for a couple rides....haven't been too impressed, but I'd imagine that it's top quality considering it's a BMW.

Good luck in your search.

90IntegraC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
9 Ball
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #70

My Ride:

Chip and exhaust = more fun.

Funny you mentioned this because we did tones of driving this past Saturday with the M3 meet and cruise.

Well - the driving experience is completely different between the two cars. I also drive “DanFromPA’s” stock MR 9 as well.

Of course the E46 M3 is a heavier car and definitely feels as such. The power is very linear (due to it being an N/A) and you don’t get the sense of speed the same way you do in an Evo (however, both are almost identical in speed.) At high speeds, I do like how the M3 feels more planted than the Evo. That being said, the power delivery coming from the Evo is much more frantic. Everything in the Evo is more hyper active and you know you’re in something that’s specifically designed to be fast from point to point.

At least from my own experience, I still don’t think I had the opportunity to fully stretch the legs of the M3 and I really think it hit’s the sweet spot on long stretches of highway. I’ve been in the 120mph range several times but only briefly and it was there the car felt very composed.

“Philly Boy” will probably jump in here and give you his perspective… he’s driven my car much more than I’ve driven his newly acquired M3.

I’m still sorting pics from Saturday but these came out pretty good. I'll post more in the Gallery soon.

Last edited by 9 Ball; 04-02-2007 at 02:16 PM.
9 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
markley02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #390

My Ride:
05 Honda Odessey

Here is my opinion with the E36 vs Evo MR:

Even though the evo is lighter, at times the M3 feels lighter. Only when you want it to though. That is the strange thing with the M3. When you brake the M3 feels lighter. When you turn they feel about the same. The M3 feels more planted though.

When you drive the M3 at 150 it feels like the evo doing 110.

As far as power.... the evo kills it. It is much easier and cheaper to get the power out of the evo.

Ride is actually about the same between the MR's stock suspension and the M3 with H&R springs

I lied about everything. All of it. I owned some great cars because my ex wife dedicated her life to me. I treated her like total sh**, because my d**k was more important than she was! She divorced me.

I am into drugs and Motorcycles, guns and my bff Brandon and girls that look just like my mother. Pronouns: they, them. hyper-sexual narcissist.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
olsookie
Tri-State Addict

Member #806

My Ride:
2013 S4

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone.

I have an 05 w/ cams, aftermarket front mount, TBE, intake, an generic flash... i have always been interested in the M3 and have been thinking about it a lot latey.

E46 M3 is what i'd be shooting for if i were to make the switch over...

SOLD!
The M has arrived!
and now is SOLD!
Move over M
The X is here!
SOLD!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
9 Ball
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #70

My Ride:

^^ I also hear many people prefer the E36 because it’s a more nimble car than an E46 and perhaps a bit more engaging even?

At the meet I was very impressed with the E36s. That also might be an option for you if you don’t want to drop 30 big ones on a pre-owned E46. The E36s are still fantastic cars.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
olsookie
Tri-State Addict

Member #806

My Ride:
2013 S4

yes, the e36's are definitely still a sweet car...

SOLD!
The M has arrived!
and now is SOLD!
Move over M
The X is here!
SOLD!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
You're not the only one who has considered going with the E46 M. I have always wanted one, but im not ready to lose alot of money when it comes time to sell my car.

M3=chick magnet
Evo=dude magnet

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
markley02
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #390

My Ride:
05 Honda Odessey

I totally agree with D's statement. Girls just see it as a BMW though, not a M3. The e36 is more of a toy than the e46.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #13
9 Ball
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #70

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markley02 View Post
When you drive the M3 at 150 it feels like the evo doing 110.
I felt the same way when driving the E46.

I guess if you remove the “baller” status from the E46 and look at both cars pound for pound, dollar for dollar… the Evo is a hard hitter - plain and simple. The adrenaline is really pumping much harder in the Evo vs. the E46, BUT, that maybe something you can live without - whatever your preference maybe at this time. With the Evo, you constantly feel like you’re at war… the M3 is much more relaxing in that sense.

At least for me, now that I’ve had the pleasure of driving all of them, the MR 9 is such a well balanced car (stock) than anything else I’ve driven. And then of course in a modded Evo like mine, it’s a completely different animal all together. Now that I know what they feel like, I’m definitely hanging on to what I‘ve got.

And that’s not a diss to the M3... It’s absolutely a great car.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
Chris(NJ)
Tri-State Addict

Member #3979

My Ride:
2002 BMW M3

Send a message via AIM to Chris(NJ)
No experience driving an evo, I came from a 600hp ttz to my M and although I miss the power of the z, the overall experience in the M is just what I've been looking for. You can drive it HARD on the track and it loves the abuse, then take it home and cruise w/ your girl on a friday night w/o changing anything other than some brake pads.
The only thing I miss, which would be similar to an evo is the power of bigger turbos and bigger hp #s over the M. Of course, if you want to drop 30k+ on a turbo kit for the M, by all means, go for it b/c turbo e46s are rivaling supra #s now w/ the addition of the hpf kits.
Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #15
HKS83
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90IntegraC1 View Post
I drove my friends Evo 8 to school and back for a week (45 mins both ways) and loved everything about it.

It rides smoother and quieter than a sti, even with coilovers, and the precision of steering is unlike anything I've ever driven. I haven't driven a M3, but have gone for a couple rides....haven't been too impressed, but I'd imagine that it's top quality considering it's a BMW.

Good luck in your search.
What kind of coilovers were these? The Evo vs the STI stock for stock is a louder and harsher car.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #16
HKS83
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Ball View Post
Depends. What would you like to know?

I’ve driven “Philly Boy’s” M3 several times.
Hey, you're Jeff correct? Looks like it from your sig. It's Andy. We met at the KOP meet (I had the 9 SE TB.) How've you been.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
MabF355
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #1516

I am a wholesaler, so I have a lot of experience with many different cars. I used to have a 02 M3 with Dinan Stage 2, and I just last week had an 06 EVO MR. It is difficult to compare these cars because they are totally different. If you are looking to "modify" a car, buy the EVO. It is just as fast stock vs. stock and has a lot more potential for a lot less money. There really aren't any things I can think of, that I didn't like about the M3 other than the cost of "upgrades." The EVO however, is a different story. It is about as far from comfortable as you can get in a car, the motor is very loud and whiny, in my opinion it attracts a lot of negative attention (I am not really into the street racing scene, so the constant challenges from other cars is annoying), and the rear wing (if it is equipped) blocks a decent portion of your rear visibility. However, performance wise, the EVO is a blast to drive FAST. It handles great, the steering is incredible, and the brakes are fantastic. It just has no refinement where the BMW has tons of it. It takes a lot more talent to turn fast in the M3 then it does in the EVO (awd vs. rwd naturally). The E46 M3 is a great car, and now that you can buy 01's in the $20,000s it is an incredible car if it isn't terribly abused and has an existing CPO warranty. If you are considering either one of the two, and can afford it, buy a M.
To sum it up, I am not really a big fan of the EVO. It gets 110% of my respect as a performance car and if that's what you are looking for, it really is a great car. However, as a daily driver I found the EVO annoying at best. My vote is M3 all the way, and for those with legitimate experience with both, will not disagree.
-Marc
MabF355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #18
olsookie
Tri-State Addict

Member #806

My Ride:
2013 S4

Thanks Mab, I currently have the evo with some stuff done and just isn't doing it for me. i'm looking for that refinement, my biggets problem is regretting it... lol, but I guess an M is and M... i'll update this thread when i make my final decision. thanks everyone.

SOLD!
The M has arrived!
and now is SOLD!
Move over M
The X is here!
SOLD!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #19
MabF355
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsookie View Post
Thanks Mab, I currently have the evo with some stuff done and just isn't doing it for me. i'm looking for that refinement, my biggets problem is regretting it... lol, but I guess an M is and M... i'll update this thread when i make my final decision. thanks everyone.
No problem man, anything to help. The EVO is a great, great car, but in my opinion it leaves a lot to be desired as an all around car. While the M3 might not be as fast, it's plenty fast for what is needed and in my opinion, the refinement and comfort are an added plus. Good luck with your search for an M3. PM me if you want with specifics for what you are looking for, and I will certainly keep my eyes open.
-Marc
MabF355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #20
MPowerKai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1011

My Ride:
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to MPowerKai
I'm pretty bias about this so I don't know if you should take my opinion into account but I love the E46 M3. Lately I haven't been putting my music too loud, I've just been cruising below 3k rpms with all the windows up and the music on really light as background noise and it is just awesome. Not too much road noise and no interior noise. I drove my friends Evo for a little bit and the interior rattle was just too much for me.

I think I'm getting old

Oh also if your looking at M3's I suggest an 02 or later. 01's are not reliable at all. Or so I've heard.