TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #41
Fujito
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #10571

My Ride:
Toyota Celica

Darn, what am I supposed to do with this Skyline I just bought yesterday?
Fujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #42
Sberk06
Tri-State Addict

Member #2730

My Ride:
07 ZX6-R

Send a message via AIM to Sberk06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carministrator View Post
Can we just let this repost die please and stop bumping it to the top?
that deserves a bump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
even your girlfriend thinks you're a ricer haha
Sberk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #43
jrkal
Tri-State Addict

Member #18134

My Ride:
'90 CRX Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujito View Post
Darn, what am I supposed to do with this Skyline I just bought yesterday?
Does it have a big ass wing?

Skylines are for ricers anyway.
jrkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #44
AutobahnRacer
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2056

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkal View Post
Does it have a big ass wing?

Skylines are for ricers anyway.
You sure you know about cars?
AutobahnRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #45
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubz View Post
They have no right to actually seize the cars. Theyre claiming the issue is they dont want them on the road.....ok so what if someone has an R34 track car that never sees the street?.

The proper constitutional way to deal with this is a mandatory revoking of all R32 and R34 registrations and warning insurance comapnies not to insure them for street use. Then if someone is caught 3 times driving their unregistered skyline on the road, then they could have the legal right to seize the car because the person has shown willful disregard for the law. But they are treating this like a huge deal, and its really quite inconsequential to anyone if they have these cars as theres only a few hundred in the country anyway. Its not worth their effort at all. And the manner in which they are handling this situation currently IS STEALING by definition, and I hope these people give them hell in court for this.
best post yet... Also a great idea.. we need more people like yourself.
mitsuboost30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #46
Maxxdsix
Tri-State Addict

Member #14903

My Ride:
Drives on the wrong side ;) Bye RSX w/pink wheels....RIP-2003 Mazda 6S

Sent this to Jalopnik to get the word to spread farther and faster.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Saw this on my local forum and the link sent me to nicoclub, seems as if the govt is trying to crack down harder on skylines than ever before, and that costs alot of money. Just trying to get this out there because it needs to be known that the govt is wasting money for no reason, lets see if you guys can help this guy out like you did with my Mazda friends and the unknownpowdercoating guy.

This is a sad thing for all in the car enthusiast community to see when one of these precious cars gets seized and crushed/sold to someone in the govt. Let's just say that the DOD spending $600+ on a toilet seat leads one to wonder how much their spending on taking these beautiful cars. They must be stopped and the only way to make a change is to get the word out!

Link: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/bre...ne-owners.html

Link to nicoclub discussion : http://forums.nicoclub.com/breaking-...d-t525694.html

Link to my local forum discussion where I first heard (tristatetuners) : http:// http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...d.php?t=111490

Hopefully you can put this up, im sure you've already gotten some tips about this anyway, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Thanks,

Max
Reply:
Quote:
Thanks Max, we're working on it.
---------------------------
Justin Hyde
Features Editor
www.jalopnik.com
Posted:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5775509/feds-l...skyline-owners
i love how all you guys actually care about the opinion of a girl when it comes to your car. if the bitch is complaining about it, rev it up and shift hard, throw her back in her seat. if she persists, just drive faster till shes scared. she'll respect it once shes afraid of it
Quote:
Driving a nice honda around is like parading a hot chick in a prison yard.
Maxxdsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #47
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpecV03 View Post
so in a sense, could this be done to other cars that have been imported into the us, like jdm type r integras and civic type r's for example? or those cars are on the list of leagally imported cars cuz they have been crash tested, bond released, and have been certifeid be the epa and any other test, paper work that the gov requires?
As far as I know they're still not allowed. I know some guys that tried to import Mitsubishi GTOs, which is the same as 3000GTs, and they ran into a boat-load of red tape.
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 =:No, it's not for sale.:=
bl@ckvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #48
JSpecV03
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6345

My Ride:
2006 Acura TSX,1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0, and cammed out Spec V with a blown motor.

Send a message via AIM to JSpecV03
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ckvr4 View Post
As far as I know they're still not allowed. I know some guys that tried to import Mitsubishi GTOs, which is the same as 3000GTs, and they ran into a boat-load of red tape.
Red tape with what? US Customs? For those I don't see why not, why you couldnt bring them across boarders. Their the same as their US counter parts. And to do all the things to make them legit for the NHTSA can be done from one US car. For a Skyline, probably alot harder to do this since there isn't a car in the US that even comes close to it. But for a 3000GT/ JDM GTO, legitemently import car, swap parts over to gto then have it registered and all that, then swap all jdm parts back in. The Honda Guys do this on a daily. But either way, someone didnt prob didnt do something right. there isnt anything that says you cant own a RHD drive car in the US. IMO. I really think its biased towards skylines, because their isnt any US car to test for safety reasons, while all the other cars have US versions, all the frame and supports are the same with expections on things like doors and stuff, but again swapping on us doors and problems solved for the feds.

Although someone told me, Skyline owners can somehow pull it off to register and insure the car as a 240 by swapping the vin plate off the 240 dash, rivet that it on the skylines dash and make it look authentic. Then the stickers in the driver door jam are prob heat gunner up and put on the Skyline. then the 240 goes away to the junk yard peice by peice. although this is about illeagal as it gets, im sure some one has pulled it off. I have my doubts on it though.
Every Nasty Vehical Illustrates Our Useless Spending

Last edited by JSpecV03; 03-04-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added/changed text
JSpecV03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #49
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxdsix View Post
Sent this to Jalopnik to get the word to spread farther and faster.

Reply:

Posted:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5775509/feds-l...skyline-owners

awesome dude! That will reach far more people then the skyline community just posting on forums... I appreciatte it!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #50
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Although someone told me, Skyline owners can somehow pull it off to register and insure the car as a 240 by swapping the vin plate off the 240 dash, rivet that it on the skylines dash and make it look authentic. Then the stickers in the driver door jam are prob heat gunner up and put on the Skyline. then the 240 goes away to the junk yard peice by peice. although this is about illeagal as it gets, im sure some one has pulled it off. I have my doubts on it though.
yes this is true there are some people that "make 240s disappear"
BUT
as soon as you get pulled over or run into a cop that knows what hes talking about... their out there!.... your screwed... federal offence for tampering with vin plates.... and car seizure... basically more trouble that you would have got into..
you can do it.. but the risk is much higher.. I would highly discourage anyone from doing so!
Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #51
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Yeah, swapping vins is a federal offense - Don't be dumb...

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #52
bl@ckvr4
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4236

My Ride:
1992 mitsubishi VR4

Quote:
Red tape with what? US Customs? For those I don't see why not, why you couldnt bring them across boarders. Their the same as their US counter parts. And to do all the things to make them legit for the NHTSA can be done from one US car. For a Skyline, probably alot harder to do this since there isn't a car in the US that even comes close to it. But for a 3000GT/ JDM GTO, legitemently import car, swap parts over to gto then have it registered and all that, then swap all jdm parts back in. The Honda Guys do this on a daily. But either way, someone didnt prob didnt do something right. there isnt anything that says you cant own a RHD drive car in the US. IMO. I really think its biased towards skylines, because their isnt any US car to test for safety reasons, while all the other cars have US versions, all the frame and supports are the same with expections on things like doors and stuff, but again swapping on us doors and problems solved for the feds.

Yes, customs wouldn't let the car enter the country. I don't remember any specific details, since it was a couple of years ago, but you'd think customs wouldn't mind a GTO since it is essentially the same thing as a 3000GT. In the end, the cars had to either be shipped back to Japan or crushed. All 3 or 4 were, thankfully, shipped back. They didn't even give the guys the option to legalize 'em.
1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 =:No, it's not for sale.:=
bl@ckvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #53
fightinchunk
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #5306

My Ride:
92 SR S13 vert, 05 LGT Built 2.3L hta68

if I buy, i'd just hide that **** away until the coast is clear.
fightinchunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #54
vanishingpointt4
Tri-State Addict

Member #11061

My Ride:
'91 3000GT VR-4

Why doesn't the government just crash test the cars and be done with this? Seems like the most reasonable solution to me...
Old 03-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #55
scott8989
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9086

My Ride:
1996 Honda Prelude SI

Send a message via AIM to scott8989
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanishingpointt4 View Post
Why doesn't the government just crash test the cars and be done with this? Seems like the most reasonable solution to me...
because they would rather waste our money on useless endeavors. i can tell ya this though. if they tried to take my skyline if i owned one they better come at me with the ghost of johnny cochron and an army cause they would go down

Quote:
i had a delorean, guess what happen when it hit 88mph.
scott8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #56
qbcsvt
Tri-State Addict

Member #17058

My Ride:
99 Ford Contour SVT - 91 MR2 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuboost30 View Post
keep up being an internet cowboy.. maybe youll get a gold star....
Gold star for you!

I hope everything works out for Vandrel. I dont know him but if that ever happened to me, it would be like someone ripping out my heart. Im also pissed off that he did everything properly and then he still gets screwed.

This is truly a waste of money on the governments behalf with OUR money. Sometimes I wish I could send a picture of a middle finger along with the my payment to the IRS.....

- amyn
qbcsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #57
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

That's the thing tho.. I don't know why people are under the impression his car was legit when it wasn't. Just another state legal one. He's pickin up a motorex shell here soon.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #58
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

Quote:
That's the thing tho.. I don't know why people are under the impression his car was legit when it wasn't.
Here's the thing... The cars were legal and technically a DOT release should insulate the car from any sort of seizure like this.

However, given the fact that motorex crash tested exclusively R33 GTSs, that makes this DOT release clause as a legally insulating component toward the cars being labeled contraband easily revokable in court; which is probably what happened internally out of our sights.

Don't get me wrong, when an R34 GT-R V Spec showed up at a local mercedes dealership for service (they also service exotics) it was damn sweet and I wish that they didn't have to be relegated to black market status at this point... Problem is a skyline is way too iconic anymore, both with tuners and law enforcement.

Hide your R32s, hide your R34s and pull your drivelines because they are raping errybody out here. Unfortunately.

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #59
mitsuboost30
Tri-State Addict

Member #8197

My Ride:
look at the picture.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_ View Post
Here's the thing... The cars were legal and technically a DOT release should insulate the car from any sort of seizure like this.
Actually the car was a state legal car.. imported illegally.. titled illegally.. and on that note considerd contraband.

Also they didnt show up to his door for his car originally.. Hey was labeled as an importer somehow.. somone must have said something in order for that to be possible.. He was watched for 3-4 months..
Then when ICE. Now known as "HSI formally ICE" showed up at his door this was quickly brushed off.. His car was in the driveway and they wanted to see the paperwork..
He played dumb and presented them with a mock fake bond release.. presented as motorex In order to buy himself the week to strip the car....

Neither of the cars seized had bond releases.. If youve heard this.. whoever told you is WRONG...
Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #60
ndubz
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6107

Send a message via AIM to ndubz
Quote:
Actually the car was a state legal car.. imported illegally.. titled illegally.. and on that note considerd contraband.

Also they didnt show up to his door for his car originally.. Hey was labeled as an importer somehow.. somone must have said something in order for that to be possible.. He was watched for 3-4 months..
Then when ICE. Now known as "HSI formally ICE" showed up at his door this was quickly brushed off.. His car was in the driveway and they wanted to see the paperwork..
He played dumb and presented them with a mock fake bond release.. presented as motorex In order to buy himself the week to strip the car....

Neither of the cars seized had bond releases.. If youve heard this.. whoever told you is WRONG...
Glad to see their time is being spent effectively protecting us from REAL dangers.

It is just beyond me why they care so much about the few hundred skylines in this country. Absolutely NOBODY is being negatively affected in any way whatsoever because of this. The guy in charge of this operation must have some kind of personal vendetta or something and is clearly an enormous asshole. Cuz I cant see any other reason for this to be happening.

Imagine the stakouts those guys had watching this dude for 4 ****ing months. How boring must that have been. "Ok its 11pm and we see 2 skylines in his driveway"....."Ok its 4 am and the cars are still in his driveway"......."Ok its 10 am and we have tailed the suspect to a dunkin donuts where he went through the drivethrough in reverse, suspect ordered an eggwhite flatbread, a small chai latte, some hashbrowns, and a blueberry cake donut"

The ineptitude in most government agencies is appalling. Like its actually people like this who concentrate on stupid things that allowed 9/11 to occur, and continue to allow people with weapons to board aircraft. because they are so focused on their inconsequential vendettas that they dont notice all the little suspicious things that happen leading up to a real threat.

What these people should be doing is inspecting peoples cars that are in ****ty condition, because those cars are a real threat to public safety when a wheel comes of sending the car out of control in traffic. Who cares if people have skylines at all............Are they going to confiscate Wyclef Jean's Pagani Zonda too?
ndubz is offline   Reply With Quote