TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:
2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo

lending money....

...to my own mother has never been so stressful. I have been working since the day i turned 16. Im just about to turn 19 and have made enough money to buy two cars now. My mother isnt the most financially stable person. She has a pretty tough problem with spending cash. around a year ago, she gambled a **** load of cash away and needed to replace atleast SOME in the bank. she came to me asking for 800 bucks. After convincing me it was to pay for bills, i caved in and handed over 800 out of the 1200 i had saved for another car. After promising me back the money over the next for weeks, i havent received a dime. That is when i found out she gambled it.

Since then, she has occasionally asked me for money, a few 100 bucks here and there and i have helped. Only a few times she has actually returned the cash. She always used the excuse that she was paying MY bills with the money. I believed her but found out after having a ridiculous car insurance bill and a cancelled phone service.

well, i finally told her off and told her to stop using me as a personal ATM. I brought her to reality when she, in the end, robbed me of 2200 dollars. She did buy me the iMac i am using right now, so i waived the debt.

Just last week, she asked for 100 bucks on wednesday. I handed it over to her after promising me it the next day. Once again, i did not get it. the following week, she sprung the dogs' grooming bill on me ($120) after telling me i need to pick them up. Just today, she asked for another 300 cuz my stepdad is flipping out for missing funds. I dont know how they are missing, but she came to me again. she said she will get it back to me on the life of her by next thursday. My stepdad has a history of abuse so i do not want my mom choked again and another domestic dispute case between him and i to occur. Although i feel like i did the right thing, im afraid i just dicked myself over another 500 bucks. What does everyone else think? is it worth helping her out? i mean she is my mom....ugh.

/rant

'96 Mazda Miata | FM V-Maxx Coilovers | Jackson Racing Exhaust/Intake GONE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

01' Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo | Daily | NoMods
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
05suby
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #5738

My Ride:
2005 WRX

dude i know how you feel my mom owes me almost 600. she is always asking for money. yea its your mom and everything but she has to realize that you work hard for your money and that you need it. i told my mom that im not her personal bank anymore and she hasnt ask for money since.
WFCrew #231
Form > Function
Static > Bagged

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
....GO
R.I.P. Sherwood "No Home"
05suby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

my parents are facing bankruptcy soon and are having some issues putting food on the table. They haven't asked for a dime from me. Your mom has a problem, and so do you... you're giving your mom money to gamble, or she feels she can gamble and will get the money back from you...

do you live at home? if so... bounce... I know its hard, but your parents need to fend for themselves... they're adults, they made their own problems, they have to deal with them
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
my parents are facing bankruptcy soon and are having some issues putting food on the table. They haven't asked for a dime from me. Your mom has a problem, and so do you... you're giving your mom money to gamble, or she feels she can gamble and will get the money back from you...

do you live at home? if so... bounce... I know its hard, but your parents need to fend for themselves... they're adults, they made their own problems, they have to deal with them
Yea, i know she doesnt gamble with it ALL the time. She works as a secretary for a company that creates the locks for slot machines across the country. She works right around philly park and gets free play time. so when she feels lucky i think she asks me. I know its a problem and i know im kind of urging it...i just cant tell when shes actually using it for necessaties. I dont wanna just walk away because i have 2 younger sisters that are 15. I pay for the groceries sometimes because i dont pay rent yet. The only problem is that i pull about ~300 a week with my job and im still in school.
EDIT: to make things more interesting, my rents are facing bankruptcy as well as a divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05suby View Post
dude i know how you feel my mom owes me almost 600. she is always asking for money. yea its your mom and everything but she has to realize that you work hard for your money and that you need it. i told my mom that im not her personal bank anymore and she hasnt ask for money since.
Yea man, thats my exact situation except she keeps asking for another slice of the pie!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
zerioustt
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1356

Send a message via AIM to zerioustt
your mom is a grownup dont give her anything...i hate when parents are the ones acting like children. it sucks because shes your mom but she will be fine without lending her money all the time. you need to look out for number one because in the end thats all you have to count on, dont sell yourself short.

your mom has no thumbs and hitch hikes like this...

Quote:
Yea seriously. Zerioustt is a toolbag.
zerioustt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
PUREKDM
Tri-State Addict

Member #3459

My Ride:
2006 Infiniti FX35 AWD

Send a message via AIM to PUREKDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerioustt View Post
your mom is a grownup dont give her anything...i hate when parents are the ones acting like children. it sucks because shes your mom but she will be fine without lending her money all the time. you need to look out for number one because in the end thats all you have to count on, dont sell yourself short.
troof

my dad would complain about money all the time but bought his EX GF a new explorer and some dumb ring and an expensive fur coat and HER kids a new computer...i cringe when i see him trying to buy love
PUREKDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
james_ls
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1614

My Ride:
1998 Acura Integra LS//VTEC

Send a message via AIM to james_ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREKDM View Post
...i cringe when i see him trying to buy love
That's a double negative.

Dead cause man. Dead cause.

BUY MY STUFF!

james_ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Jeff822
Tri-State Addict

Member #3178

My Ride:
91 TSI AWD//01 Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Jeff822
My mom and step dad owe me around $18,000, my real father owes me around $8,000 and my uncle owes me about $1,700. My parents paid me back around $8,000 and my dad about $3,000...my uncle hasn't paid me back any yet. Mind you this was about 2 years ago. I'm still out over 10 grand and could really use the money at this time. You might as well chalk it up as gone dude. Family is the worst when it comes to lending out money. I guess thats what we get for being good people.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
DC Hunny5
Tri-State Addict

Member #2807

My Ride:
02 Acura RSX-S = Totaled :( 07 Jeep Compass

Send a message via AIM to DC Hunny5
from now on, i would make her sign a piece of paper stating you were LOANING her the money and that she will pay you back by a certain date. as long as you have paperwork with both parties signatures on it, you have a legal case (god forbid it ever gets to that point) but it'll help you also figure out total amounts

Quote:
colleen is wild as hell, she'll def give someone the bizz.

DC Hunny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
forget the contract... tell her she's cut off.
if she's that tight financially then take care of yourself financially... offer to pay some rent if you want or try to buy groceries more regularly, just so you're carrying your own weight. but i would not let her borrow any more money the way she has.
you've got to get things back on track... you're feeding the problem so its time to make some changes.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #11
den9
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #1198

My Ride:
turbo diesel

Send a message via AIM to den9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff822 View Post
My mom and step dad owe me around $18,000, my real father owes me around $8,000 and my uncle owes me about $1,700. My parents paid me back around $8,000 and my dad about $3,000...my uncle hasn't paid me back any yet. Mind you this was about 2 years ago. I'm still out over 10 grand and could really use the money at this time. You might as well chalk it up as gone dude. Family is the worst when it comes to lending out money. I guess thats what we get for being good people.

how the hell did u get in that mess? 18 grand? dont u think they should of got a loan? and if they didnt have credit i would of turned them down like anyone else
den9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Hunny5 View Post
from now on, i would make her sign a piece of paper stating you were LOANING her the money and that she will pay you back by a certain date. as long as you have paperwork with both parties signatures on it, you have a legal case (god forbid it ever gets to that point) but it'll help you also figure out total amounts
you can't do that with parents...

or family really... you either "loan" them the money and expect never to see it again or don't loan them a cent.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:27 AM   #13
evomike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2578

My Ride:
03 duramax and a 04 evo

Ya it may be your mom but are you an asshole, I am not tryin to sound like a dick but its like sayin my family member is an alcoholic, I'm tryin to stop them but I buy em a case of beer everyday. You are feeding your moms disease its really nobodys fault but yours she takes advantage of you mom or not. Maybe you need to pay for her counceling instead of feed her problem
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #14
twistedlanes
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3529

My Ride:
currently out of Commission be back soon

how about instead of just giving her the money find out what its for. If it's for a bill or to get groceries then offer to take care of it yourself tat way you know where the money is going otherwise tell her your broke. Thats the only way to do it. I know from experience you can't just say no to your parents their has to be a legitimate reason then they'll leave you alone lol. Or just tell them you spent it or something came up, or your car broke and you needed the money for a part. idk something

twistedlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
dragonfly2k3
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #4106

im with twisted. If you want to help out then find out what the money is REALLY for, if its for a bill that you feel you want to pay then write the check straight to whoever is billing you. That way you dont have to worry about her using it for other ****.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #16
Gorilla Unit 33
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #532

My Ride:
Fly Mosca II w/pegs LOLZ

Send a message via AIM to Gorilla Unit 33
1-800-GAMBLER

seriously
Old 06-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Erik
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1962

My Ride:

well. the last 300 was my step dad being a cock. he demanded 300 dollars to see if there was money in an account that has been dry and i think shut down. The thing is, this happened before and like i said, it became a legal dispute between him and i. He tried to take a swing and i just so happened to be cleaning up glass that broke and well...his cheek then was able to flap around.........