TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Send a message via AIM to WRX_JB
Auto Loans what to know?

So i am most likely purchasing a used car from a private seller.

Just have a few questions scine i know some of you are exp. with this.

1- Best place to find one ( bank , credit type place ..ect..)
2- About what intrest rate is fair for a 700-750 Credit score
3- Loan will be around 14-16 ( May be less depending on how much i have saved by the end of this month and if my car sells)
4-I am thinking 3 year term?
5- Any special thing to look out for when doing it (Hidden shi*)

Thanks for any help you can give.

*Rates
Used Auto Loan Rates
Rates on used auto loans are as low as 7.24% APR**.
Amount Borrowed APR*
$2,000 - $9,999 8.74%
$10,000 - $14,999 7.99%
$15,000 and greater 7.24%

-AWD Civic 91' - Sold -2000 Cavalier -Sold
-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by WRX_JB; 05-08-2008 at 10:22 AM.
WRX_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

how old are you?
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

19 , Dad is paying for 1st 3 years of college
Weekly pay ~250-300
Car - sell for maybe around 3k

-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

15k is a decent amount to take out on around 1k a month pay. Figure half of that is going towards the car and insurance, depending on where you drive another 100-200 a month in gas. 15k seems a little steep at what you're making.

I'd honestly aim for something between 5-10k, this will leave you more fun money.

Trust me man, its no fun spending all your money on car payments and insurance, I've been there. You can get a nice 80's/90's mustang for around 5k and modifying those is pretty cheap.

At 19 you're also going to find it tough to get an auto loan from anywhere but a car dealership, especially with only 1k coming in a month.

Just noticed you also said 3 year loan... you can't afford a 3 year 15k loan. that is $416 a month, before APR...
Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Dad cosing , lower rate slighty. Also he covers 100$ of insurance ( got it easy , so i will onyl have to pay around 80 for insurance)
I did the math and everything , loan will prob be lower once i sell car + gradution money.

So if any one has any tips would be really helpful , thanks for looking out though spacegoat

-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
Old 05-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Any thing eles?

-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Roadkilled75
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #6074

My Ride:
Two red ones and a green one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
spacegoat
I know this was just a typo, but it made me
Roadkilled75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
ITSTOCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #844

That's a "big" AUTO loan for your income, but try

http://www.capitalone.com/autoloans/index.php

They have some incredible rates (I got 4% USED car loan almost 3 years ago on the X5 with a 760 credit score), and the site is still stating 6%. Once you apply, you either get approved or you don't, and they literally send you a blank check for the full amount you were approved for.

36 months—APR as low as 6.09%
48 months—APR as low as 6.19%
66 or 72 months—APR as low as 6.94%
ITSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
LilRedVDub
Tri-State Addict

Member #1708

My Ride:
2005 1/2 mk4 VW Jetta GLI

Send a message via AIM to LilRedVDub Send a message via Yahoo to LilRedVDub
I work at a dealership. Do you know it is easier for you to get approved for a new car then a used car? Your intrest rate on a new car will be less, then on a used car.

"Dub chicks do it better!!!"
LilRedVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedVDub View Post
I work at a dealership. Do you know it is easier for you to get approved for a new car then a used car? Your intrest rate on a new car will be less, then on a used car.
Yeah , i want an 05 wrx/sti though , not a big fan of the new hatch, only thing i really would look at brand new in my price range would be an Si/ GTi or something like that.

Edit: plus having my dad co-sign dont think it will be that hard

-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
K-Rex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2255

My Ride:
2004 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
Trust me man, its no fun spending all your money on car payments and insurance, I've been there. You can get a nice 80's/90's mustang for around 5k and modifying those is pretty cheap.
Been there done that, and it sucks. Had to give up my favorite car of all time because I had no extra spending money ever. Rent, Car, Food, Bills, and not a dime to do anything else.

Hell I couldn't even really enjoy the car because I didn't even have enough money for gas to do any extra driving other than to work and back.

Listen to Scapegoat. It sucks. Get through college, get a good job and then buy a car.

Having a nice car in college is a waste anyway. College parking lots are full of stupidity.
K-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
K-Rex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2255

My Ride:
2004 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedVDub View Post
If he goes through a credit union, even a used car rate is cheaper than financing a new car through any dealership.

Don't finance through a dealership.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
marshallpre1
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #6445

My Ride:
N/A

Send a message via AIM to marshallpre1
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Rex View Post
Been there done that, and it sucks. Had to give up my favorite car of all time because I had no extra spending money ever. Rent, Car, Food, Bills, and not a dime to do anything else.

Hell I couldn't even really enjoy the car because I didn't even have enough money for gas to do any extra driving other than to work and back.

Listen to Scapegoat. It sucks. Get through college, get a good job and then buy a car.

Having a nice car in college is a waste anyway. College parking lots are full of stupidity.
Yep. Why waste money on a car in college when there are lots of expenses like food, books, and beer . People will scratch up your car or worse. Wait until you get out and be able to afford a car you want. The first car I've ever bought 100% myself is my dream car (Supra, Corolla was 50-50 betw me and the 'rents)

Quote:
If he goes through a credit union, even a used car rate is cheaper than financing a new car through any dealership.

Don't finance through a dealership.
Yep. Got my loan through company credit union and it was <6%
1994 SC300 5MT- NA-T- PT61/AEM V1- future track car
marshallpre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
upperguy
Tri-State Addict

Member #375

Send a message via AIM to upperguy
I can't really comment on finding a good loan except reinforce what both K-rex and Scapegoat said. My brother's STI got 10-15 mpg average and with the price of gas, even with parental help you will be spending a majority of your funds on the car. You're coming from a cavie so almost anything will be a significant upgrade though. If I were in your position I would consider something less expensive.

Another situation that I hope you don't encounter is the bad side: tickets. STI's are very visible high profile cars, everyone notices them because they are usually loud and obnoxious. when you get those tickets for doing 6000 mph over the posted limit most parents end up pretty pissed. you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last to have to sell because you were cut off.

You can find E36 M3's for 10-15k that are a blast, if you're more into modding(E36's are still pricey to do so) consider doing a 240sx or even a GC8(older bodystyle impreza) you can get those with STI swaps pretty cheap and I personally think they are gorgeous.

Either way congrats on getting a new car when you do get one and be careful

Quote:
If you are a racist, I will attack you with the north.
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

yeah i was going to look into a credit union , but if you are all saying ill regret i can go with that Gsx for 6 grand and take out a 3g loan, but i dont know if it would be worth it. Ill find out some more info and see what i can get for a month rate , what i pay for insurance will not change , Thanks to the parents <3 them

-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -
Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
K-Rex
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #2255

My Ride:
2004 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
yeah i was going to look into a credit union , but if you are all saying ill regret i can go with that Gsx for 6 grand and take out a 3g loan, but i dont know if it would be worth it. Ill find out some more info and see what i can get for a month rate , what i pay for insurance will not change , Thanks to the parents <3 them
In an effort not to start a flame war, I will simply say that what you buy in college should be dependable, because you may not have the time, money, and resources to fix it.

With that said, from now until you are married and start having kids is the only time you can have an impractical two seater.

Plus chicks love convertibles and college is best time in your life to meet women.

So reliable, cheap, fun to drive, convert that chicks will want rides in, leads naturally so a Late 90's early 2000' Miata.

It can be easily turboed and girls don't care what kind of convertible you have, as long as the top goes down and you can give them a ride. (I had a 91 cavalier convertible in college, and though it was far from fun to drive, girls likes the drop top.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
Become a member of a Credit Union and start an account, get a co-signer and apply for a loan. If you have money to put down it will lower your payments because obviously their is no interest against it. If you are buying a used car prepare for the interest to be a higher percent due to the risk of not paying it all back and resale value. If you think you can swing it go for it, if you have to pick up a PT job then do so but your main focus really should be on doing well in school, the car will come later
Old 05-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
Like everybody else had said....a car loan on a 15,000 loan for 60months is going to run you near $300/month depending on the IR. Tack on insurance and gas and you around $700/month just for a car. And if you're in college a car that is just going to sit around most of the time.

And like everybody else I got my car second car loan through a credit union and my IR is like 6.4% I think mine was $10 to become a new member.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
Scapegoat
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1208

Quote:
In an effort not to start a flame war, I will simply say that what you buy in college should be dependable, because you may not have the time, money, and resources to fix it.

With that said, from now until you are married and start having kids is the only time you can have an impractical two seater.

Plus chicks love convertibles and college is best time in your life to meet women.

So reliable, cheap, fun to drive, convert that chicks will want rides in, leads naturally so a Late 90's early 2000' Miata.

It can be easily turboed and girls don't care what kind of convertible you have, as long as the top goes down and you can give them a ride. (I had a 91 cavalier convertible in college, and though it was far from fun to drive, girls likes the drop top.
except in college, a miata means you're gay...
Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
WRX_JB
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1907

My Ride:
2005 Wrx

s2000!

-2005 Wrx
Member Profile-

Weekly Meet (Oaks) -