TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
wrxbert
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #985

My Ride:
06 wrx, wingless

Send a message via AIM to wrxbert
what's next....

i have an 06 wrx with a k&n filter, perrin maf hose, cobb ap v2, cobb catback.
For fear of boost creep/spike, i dont' want to get a downpipe, so what should i buy next?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
id get a downpipe, lol. then get an EWG.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
Downpipe.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
CHAOS
TST Ruined My Life!
Banned

Member #2120

My Ride:
1984 Cadillac Brougham

get a downpipe and a tune. im running a 3inch bellmouth DP with no creep issues after the tune
CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
Down pipe, tune. and have me port your turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
wrxbert
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #985

My Ride:
06 wrx, wingless

knowing how to install a dp and up-pipe, i'd assume i'd have to remove the turbo to have it ported? if i go through that i'd just get a better turbo...unless you can port it while still on teh car?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
you could get a catted dp. i happen to have a new perrin one sitting in my garage . catted dps dont cause creep...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
wrxbert
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #985

My Ride:
06 wrx, wingless

you still have that?? pm me a paypal price.....i'd have to get a flat flange to donut adapter....
Old 01-09-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
Jourdan
Tri-State Addict

Member #1680

My Ride:
2006 slowbaru headache

Send a message via AIM to Jourdan
boost creep is a problem on 06's but i never had one.....go with a uncatted dowpipe and a tune, whether cobb tuned or not(i have a cobb accessport that i NEED to sell for an 06.cheap...so cobb v.2 will be fine.....and monitor your boost levels with a boost boost gauge too...i never had a boost spike /creep problem with my 06. the gains are phenomenal.
ewg on a td04 with a 2.5 liter motor will be minimal, and will make the car drop on its face at like 5,500 rpms(the amount of air going through the turbo is wayyyy too much for its effeciency...so its not worth it.
stage 2 on 2.5l 2006 motor is aweseome....trust me....you will crush alot of cars. the powerband is great.

Yeah, so my dad is in a HARDCORE band.
he is cooler than me, be their myspace friend.

Jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #10
teh DIRT
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #6

My Ride:
Legacy 2.0GT

Send a message via AIM to teh DIRT
if you do get a downpipe i have a flat flange to donut adapter
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 AM   #11
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Just to clarify, an EWG cannot hurt performance, its not possible. It can only make boost control more precise and lower backpressure in the exhaust, resulting in more horsepower and avoiding boost creep. However, it doesnt sound like you're looking to get into the EWG game at this point.
A common misconception is that boost creep can be tuned out. It cannot. It is completely a mechanical issue dealing with flow capacity of wastegate vs. flow capacity of exhaust wheel of your turbo. The air will go through the path of least resistance, and at high rpms the small wastegate opening is maxed out and the air instead goes through the exhaust wheel of the turbo, which causes the spool the turbo above desired levels. The only way to fix it is to make the path to the wastegate more direct/efficient by porting, or getting a larger (external) wastegate.
Most 2.5L motors have issues with creep when using a catless downpipe, some dont. I have never heard of boost creep issues when using an aftermarket downpipe with a high flow cat.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 01-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
wrxbert
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #985

My Ride:
06 wrx, wingless

where can i get more info on ewg? not really familiar with it. I was hoping of getting an sti topmount, vf39 eventually and using cobb's shelf map....i'm sure you guys are going to say that i need to get a custom tune....eventually i will
Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
STI_wagon
Tri-State Addict

Member #388

AN EWG on the stock TD04??? IMHO, I would go with a DP, STI Version VII tmic, super 16g, STI pinks, and a protune..
Lux has four!?!? omg does she have teh sister?
STI_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
wrxbert
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #985

My Ride:
06 wrx, wingless

Quote:
AN EWG on the stock TD04??? IMHO, I would go with a DP, STI Version VII tmic, super 16g, STI pinks, and a protune..
don't need the pinks...what's the dif between a 16g and 18g? cobb makes an off the shelf map for teh 18.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
STI_wagon
Tri-State Addict

Member #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxbert View Post
don't need the pinks...what's the dif between a 16g and 18g? cobb makes an off the shelf map for teh 18.
You should get them if your going to upgrade your turbo. The 16g flows less than the 18g..

http://www.boostplanet.com/compressorflow.htm
Lux has four!?!? omg does she have teh sister?
STI_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #16
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

the injectors on the 06 WRX flow as much as the pinks do, so he doesnt need them. if you're looking for simplicity i'd recommend going with whats recommended for cobbs base map, and i think an 18G would be very nice on your car.
so i guess its either catted downpipe and keep the stock turbo, or go all out and get a new turbo and catless downpipe, and the rest of the goodies.

|

Quote:

|
Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
wrxbert
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #985

My Ride:
06 wrx, wingless

why would i need pinks if the blue's flow almost the same as pinks??

so is the 18g worth the $200 more?

all i need is a dp, sti topmount, turbo (18g)...correct?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

i'm saying you dont need pinks because there would be no point. your stock injectors flow that much.
according to cobb's notes, you need an otherwise stock vehicle with Forced Performance TD05-18G, STi or equivalent TMIC, turboback exhaust, and a stock intake system.
man thats simple to get 293 whp and 293 ft. lbs...
I think you could use any TD05-18G, but I have heard the FP turbos are great for the money. Deadbolt is also great and offers a lot of extras and greaaaaat support, but their turbos are a bit more money.
as far as being 'worth' more... absolutely. with the 2.5L and 18G would be excellent for driving daily... reasonable spool with a huge improvement in top end.
the only other thing to consider would be something like an ecutek reflash, which would get you a custom tune instead of a cobb base map. custom tunes are always better than base maps.

|

Quote:

|

Last edited by TROLL; 01-11-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #19
wrxbert
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #985

My Ride:
06 wrx, wingless

thanks troll,

Stupid question, after looking at cobb's maps,
vf39 map = 290 hp
fp18g = 293 hp

doens't seem like much diference?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #20
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

i saw that too and it confused me... their graph doesnt have any values for hp but they do look way too similar. the 18G has so much more potential than a VF39. so yeah, i dont get it...

|

Quote:

|