TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Exterior, Interior, and Electrical
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
OzerMan
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #4681

My Ride:
06 Saturn Ion Redline

Send a message via AIM to OzerMan
Testing Subs/Amp

I have a set subwoofers with amp and enclosure from two or three years ago. I have not installed a head unit to replace my stock stereo...
My question is if there is anyway to check to see if everything still works without having to splice into my stock setup.
The old setup is a RF setup, 12inch P1's and RF amp. I'm not sure of the specs but can easily check if necessary. Thanks for any help.
OzerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Reds82
Tri-State Addict

Member #10670

My Ride:
1981 Mercury Crappi

You need power and ground wires hooked up, a jumper between the positive and remote turn on ( make sure to disconnect the jumper after testing or it will drain your battery). Then all you need is a rca to head phone jack and a ipod, cd player ect plug the rcas in and it should play music.
Reds82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
faces240
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #14300

My Ride:
92 talon awd, 94 talon awd 4 SALE

you can check the ohm rating on the subs with a multi meter. just put the red and black terminals on the sub terminals, it should meter out to whatever the ohm rating says on the sub
faces240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
sleepersatty99
Tri-State Addict

Member #4142

My Ride:
99 saturn sl2

or if one of your friends has a system in there car ask to hook up your stuff to see if it works. that would be the easy way to do it.

your suffering will be legendary even in HELL!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sleepersatty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
TEK112
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #14384

My Ride:
09 WRX Prem Sed DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzerMan View Post
I have a set subwoofers with amp and enclosure from two or three years ago. I have not installed a head unit to replace my stock stereo...
My question is if there is anyway to check to see if everything still works without having to splice into my stock setup.
The old setup is a RF setup, 12inch P1's and RF amp. I'm not sure of the specs but can easily check if necessary. Thanks for any help.
I had this problem before. Go to radioshack and pick up a power inverter that converts home voltage to car voltage. 110vac to 12vdc, I believe. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

This way you can do all testing at home without the risk of shorting something on your car out.
TEK112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
DelSol95
Tri-State Addict

Member #13549

My Ride:
95 Del Sol

just test it on a friends car who already has a system thats working. and whats the worst that would happen? blow a fuse?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DelSol95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
turtle240
Tri-State Addict

Member #14114

My Ride:
07 Eclipse Spyder GT

Send a message via AIM to turtle240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds82 View Post
You need power and ground wires hooked up, a jumper between the positive and remote turn on ( make sure to disconnect the jumper after testing or it will drain your battery). Then all you need is a rca to head phone jack and a ipod, cd player ect plug the rcas in and it should play music.
exactly and if they are 4 ohm subs you can bring it down to 2 ohms if you run the speaker wires the right why to the back of the box

less ohms=more power

R.I.P. 04 GTI VR6!

New 97 Golf III project!
turtle240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 AM
D.douff
This message has been deleted by doug.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
do7d
Noob-Jersey

Member #14830

My Ride:
96 geo prism

Send a message via AIM to do7d
i didn't find the specs on tech12's ported box, so it'd be hard to say with any certainty. *clean* is a very relative term when it comes to audio. when talking about ported boxes in general, it doesn't happen too often. before spec-ing out the sub, check the depth so you know what will fit and what won't. next, figure out how much you want to spend. if you really don't care how much you spend pick up a JL 1000/1, and 2 JL 10w6v2. i personally guarantee this will *pound* harder than just about anything you've ever heard. for slightly less obnoxiousness, i'd recommend a JL 500/1, and 2 JL 10w3v3. they will be plenty loud, and have great sound q.
do7d is offline   Reply With Quote