TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Asian > Subaru Talk
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Suspension install hang-ups?

I've seen similar threads for when people were about to do other big installs, so figured this couldn't hurt.

I've accumulated a rather large amount of suspension bits over the past year... it all amounts to;
Koni dampers in '02 wagon strut bodies
RCE Wagon springs
Sedan front control arms
Kartboy sedan front end links
Whiteline ALK
Hotchkis RSB + end links
undecided on which FSB I will run

I also have rear '04 (less wide than '05+) STi lateral links & sedan rear axles, but don't think I'll be pushing out the track in the rear.
Basically, what kind of snags have you run into when installing any/all of these bits? I've heard the control arms can be a beast to get off due to rust, but anything else? I'm planning to spend a weekend on all of it, but am trying not to have it take any longer so want to get any precautionary things out of the way.

This is all on a '03 wagon with ~70k miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Snoozie
This message has been deleted by Snoozie.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Jeffros Spec V
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #263

Send a message via AIM to Jeffros Spec V
It's been my experience that you should have either the front or the rear completlyoff the ground depending which your working on. Otherwise sway bars and the link have pressure on them and become a pain in the balls.

I didn't do the lateral links on my wagon so I can't tell you much about that. Coilovers/suspension are a breeze.
Jeffros Spec V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
yeah everything looks like it should be pretty straightforward except the control arms can be a bit tricky as you have already mentioned.
there are two options for taking the control arm off... you can also remove the balljoint that goes into the knuckle, or you can leave that balljoint in place. i wanted to put fresh balljoints on my car when i did my swap and thats where the problem was. it was so rusted into place it wouldnt budge. took a day and a half to do my control arms, haha but i finally got it.

also, dont know if you've done struts before but sometimes those lower strut bolts can be very tight. you cant normally fit air tools in there and the space you're working in is limited so a breaker bar wont always work either (unless you're on a lift). i sometimes find the right combo of two wrenches and link them together for extra leverage and thats how i break stubborn lower strut bolts loose.

good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
Get a spring compressor and airgun for the struts.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
Thanks guys. It's nice to be ready for things so that even if there are little idiosyncrasies with the install, at least I'm ready for them.

I have a spring compressor but don't have any air tools. Is it worth it to try and bribe someone with air tools to let me work on it at their place or borrow something if possible?

sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
xEJ20x
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #72

My Ride:
13 STI

Send a message via MSN to xEJ20x
Yea its definately one of those times.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Buster
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #449

My Ride:
2008 Mustang GT/CS

Send a message via AIM to Buster
Honestly I would forget the control arms, The hassle to gain ratio isnt strong lol. If I were you I would put the struts and springs together prior to the whole install because having a drop in suspension can turn a 4hr install into a 1hr install. Also, RSB brackets are whores. they mount right above the charcoal canister and inbetween it an the tube to the gastank. it sucks, I cussed alot on that install. Make sure the bolts on the endlinks are tight to the endlink, I ran into a situation where they lost nuts or broke the bolts.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
RyanG
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #63

Send a message via AIM to RyanG
good luck with the rear lateral links. There is a 12" long bolt going through the hub that ALWAYS freezes in there. I have only had 1 car that actually had it come out clean.

RyanG is offline   Reply With Quote