TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
upperguy
Tri-State Addict

Member #375

Send a message via AIM to upperguy
PS3 3.5mm headphone/mic input solution

Okay, so I have a PS3 and I'm trying to hookup my gaming headset which only has the standard 3.5mm inputs. Does anyone know what the best way to hook this up would be? I heard that if you use a USB sound card, only the voicechat audio will go through. Which obviously won't work for what I'm trying to do. Hooking up a receiver has the opposite issue, in that I can't use the mic. I also don't want some crazy 50 piece setup in order to make this work.

I'd also prefer not to get a BT setup because the headset I've got is really nice already(plus I don't have the cash to throw out for a PS3 specific setup.)

So any input you guys have would be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If you are a racist, I will attack you with the north.
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Female-3-5.../dp/B000I98ZM8

or

http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Ste.../dp/B000I23TTE

Depends on how you want to do it, and what kind of setup you have. Top one is if you're using either the composite or the component cables. Just plug the red and white audio cables into it and plug your 3.5mm in and you're good to go. The other is if you're using an HDMI and either going through a reciever or to your TV. This probably won't work if you have a new TV, but if you're TV/surround sound has an analog audio out you would plug it in and select as your output. Not too bad.

If you have a new TV and you're running HDMI with only digital outputs (optical on new TVs) then you will need to switch back to the component set for this to work.

Not going to be surround sound, but then again you should only have a stereo headset anyway.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.

Last edited by SovXietday; 12-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
upperguy
Tri-State Addict

Member #375

Send a message via AIM to upperguy
That would handle the audio side of things but I'm still at square one with the mic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If you are a racist, I will attack you with the north.
upperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
RedBowTies88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #16880

My Ride:
car?

best buy has headsets for 20 bucks... its gonna be more headache then its worth trying to do what you wanna do IMHO

Nobody On This Forum Cares About Real Performance

^If you disagree prove me wrong
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
SovXietday
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3403

My Ride:
Civic - CBR - Civic

Send a message via AIM to SovXietday
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperguy View Post
That would handle the audio side of things but I'm still at square one with the mic
HA! I definitely forgot about the mic.

I'm gonna be totally honest, other than the USB card that you're talking about I don't know of any inputs on the PS3. If the headphones have seperate 3.5mm jacks for the headphones and mic I would use both. If it's only one... you may be sunk sir.

Quote:
Relax, bud. When the dude with a drag Honda and a boosted daily that has had fast Honda's for years AND fabs his own parts tells the new kids on the block that they're doing it wrong, it's time to step back and learn something.
SovXietday is offline   Reply With Quote