TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Auto-X
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 12-10-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

Send a message via MSN to OBEEWON
For anyone who Autox's, Time attacks, or Road races.

I got into a discussion with one of my friends on here about FF and FR vehicles. I don't want to bias this discussion so I'll just ask the question straight out for the benifit of my friend. Which car would be faster(handle better) around a track; FF or FR, and why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OBEEWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
whitezenki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3121

My Ride:
1992 Nissan 240sx

Send a message via AIM to whitezenki
depends on suspension, driving style, power, and all kinds of other stuff
whitezenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
I would make the argument that FR is superior because it allows the front tires to steer the car and the rear tires to accelerate instead of making the front tires do dual duty like on a FF car. Thats not to say that there aren't some amazing FF race cars out there.
And of course we all know that AWD ownz all since it has been outlawed from most professional racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
sisforsurfing
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #267

My Ride:
2003 WRX wagon

Send a message via AIM to sisforsurfing
It's not even a question that for building a car with the only purpose of driving quickly around corners, FR is superior to FF. Exactly like Bryan said, there are plenty of insane FF track cars, but you can't argue FR being more ideal. How many Le Mans, Trans Am, JGTC, etc cars do you see that are FWD? Illustrates the point pretty well... leave the fronts to stop (mostly) and turn, the rears will do the power.

sisforsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

LOL Agreed. You just can't match exit speed with AWD which is why it isnt part of the question. But for all extents and purposes say a FF car and FR car are equal in wieght, power, and similar in suspension upgrades, and driven by the same driver just for argument sake. Is there a line that either car can take that the other cannot to give it an advantage? If so describe this ideal line.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

UnderSteer sucks= FF sucks

Broken Drivetrain sucks= 4WD sucks

FR ownz all
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
when you say broken drivetrain you mean that whole thing where the power is actually transferred to the pavement right?

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
For me, I like FR. It's just much more fun.

Btw, did you see the Evo vs. Sti on Top Gear? Wtf is up with all that understeer on the STI?

ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #9
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

As stated, it really depends. But of course your top cars in racing are all FR. Just how it is. I don't see Ferrari building a FWD 599 GTB Fiorano any time soon. The FR is better in almost all aspects IMO. From having the front only needing to steer, to better weight distribution.

But don't count out FWD. You can make a bad@ss FWD car that can/will own many AWD/RWD cars. Just depends on the car setup/driver. Anyone see who won the 2005 Super Street Time Attack challenge? John Heinricy in a time attack prepped Cobalt SS. Flat out fastest time there over some pretty serious Skylines, EVO's, WRX's, etc.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/eve...11_timeattack/

3 STU - 2006 Philly STX Champ - 2007/2008 WDCR STX Champ - Sponsored by
piknockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
OBEEWON
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1315

My Ride:
Lansdale Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknockout View Post
But don't count out FWD. You can make a bad@ss FWD car that can/will own many AWD/RWD cars. Just depends on the car setup/driver. Anyone see who won the 2005 Super Street Time Attack challenge? John Heinricy in a time attack prepped Cobalt SS. Flat out fastest time there over some pretty serious Skylines, EVO's, WRX's, etc.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/eve...11_timeattack/
Yeah I did see that. He had the second fastest time ever on that track next to a GTR. That suspesion must have been worked, and they did that with just over 300whp.

My friend believes there is a line that a FF car can take that will minimize or even eliminate understeer. Can anyone corraborate this?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
piknockout
Tri-State Addict

Member #1855

My Ride:
2006 Subaru STi

I don't know, but I don't think it's a matter of taking a different line as much as it's driving the car differently. In a FWD car you may use some throttle lift upon turn in to get the car rotating, but then you can get on the gas earlier and pull yourself through the turn on the line that the car is now pointed, as opposed to a RWD car where giving it gas too early could result in a tail out spin. Is this what you're talking about?

3 STU - 2006 Philly STX Champ - 2007/2008 WDCR STX Champ - Sponsored by
piknockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
MPowerKai
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1011

My Ride:
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to MPowerKai
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
I would make the argument that FR is superior because it allows the front tires to steer the car and the rear tires to accelerate instead of making the front tires do dual duty like on a FF car.
You know you got that from initial d
Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
auk113
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #89

if anything the tires on the FR are going to last longer.

Last edited by auk113; 12-11-2006 at 01:06 PM.
auk113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
htheduck
Tri-State Addict

Member #583

Send a message via AIM to htheduck Send a message via Yahoo to htheduck
FD and RD have different lines, but there are too many variables to state why:
-It can depend on driver ability, HP, handling, elevation, and even tempurature conditions which people behind the wheel choose different lines to take.
-A lapping day is different than a race day.
-The fastest line is not necessarily the shortest line.
-The optimal line is not necessarily a defensive line.
-There are two rain lines: dry and wet.

As for your original question: A PURPOSE built racecar would tend to be RD.
FD is just a drivetrain that the team/driver has to contend with.

94 Integra LS

htheduck is offline   Reply With Quote