TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Finally drove a WRX

Eh, I don't see what you guys are always ranting and raving about. The AWD grip is nice, but there wasn't enough feel through the car. I had no idea what was happening underneath me. Still, what a noise, god that thing sounded awesome. And the car was fully loaded, and very well built.

However, as I feel a bit guilty for wasting the salesman's time, I will say that if you go to the subaru dealer on Street Rd in feasterville there is a very nice white 06 wrx limited to be had. It's got 2000 miles, leather seats, premium sound, and in beautiful condition. It also has a boost gauge, full exhaust, and intake with receipts to show it was installed be a factory technician so the warranty is intact. Originally it was $31K, he was willing to give it to me for $26K and we haven't even haggled yet.

Seriously, if you like wrx's you need to look at this one, ask for alex.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
TalonTsi97
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #136

My Ride:
1997 Eagle Talon

Send a message via AIM to TalonTsi97
Me and my dad went and looked at that car, as well as the 06 blue sti they had which had a hks exhaust on it. We never ended up driving either but my dad loved the white limited, we both still cant beleive its there cause that thing was really nice. 26k isnt a bad price for that car and im sure you could get it down a little more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Updated weekly with Dyno, Track, AutoX, Street, and Event videos. Big updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
TalonTsi97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

He is willing to go lower, but I don't wanna say how much. Really, as far as subies go it's beautiful. I really don't like em and I can say that.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Evolved
Tri-State Addict

Member #998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
He is willing to go lower, but I don't wanna say how much.
Why not, isn't the exchange of information the point of a message board.
I was two members away from being #1000.
Evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Why not, isn't the exchange of information the point of a message board.
If you're interested PM me and I'll give you what he told me and him info.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
05Accent
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #1050

My Ride:
2008 Evo X GSR, 2002 Honda CRV

Send a message via AIM to 05Accent
damn about time.. ur a lil behind.. i think by now everyones driven a wrx of some sort.. lol just messin. nice find.. i was lookin at one a while back..
With MIVEC Turbo
Daily-2002 Honda Crv Cruisin'
With Vtec
Quote:
Yea Junior you suck. Everyone boo this man!
Quote:
obviously you have an 05 accent and your picture is just your dream car.
05Accent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
charliemopps24
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1532

Send a message via AIM to charliemopps24
I drove my buddies 03 wrx, and to be honest, the clutch and shifter felt like they came out of a sundance when compared to my civic.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Jlb725
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #1517

Send a message via AIM to Jlb725
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemopps24 View Post
I drove my buddies 03 wrx, and to be honest, the clutch and shifter felt like they came out of a sundance when compared to my civic.
I see you have wealth of knowledge when comparing transmissions..... wrx, sundance and a civic... any experience with ford Tempo's?

90 Spec Miata White # 37
Jlb725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Ok, I'm not trying to be a Subaru fanboy, and I know as well as anyone that these cars arent for everyone (in fact I'd love to still be one of a handful of crazy Subaru guys like it was a few years ago), but if you're gonna pick at things, I'll just hop on your level to respond to it. Just making conversation here so feel free to respond, just want to make sure nobody is getting all worked up over this.
I cant resist, I tried, but I can't... the WRX is far from perfect and there is a ton of room for improvement in many areas, including the suspension and the shifter and clutch, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
Eh, I don't see what you guys are always ranting and raving about. The AWD grip is nice, but there wasn't enough feel through the car. I had no idea what was happening underneath me.
A Saab guy complaining there isnt enough feedback in a WRX? I haven't been on stock suspension in a long time but stock for stock I'd find it hard to believe that a Saab would have a more performance oriented suspension than a WRX. How much does your luxury car weigh and how supple is the ride in it?

Quote:
A honda guy complaining about the WRX clutch and shifter? If he had the stock shifter then it is a bit long and sloppy, but I think the factory short shifter is quite nice.
I have driven maybe a dozen manual cars, and two of them where Civics. One was an Si and one was a DX. They both had the most god-awful-sloppy, completely-feedback-lacking shifters I have ever used. I don't remember the clutch so it must have been normal enough. If you have an aftermarket shifter and clutch then maybe its a different story, but unfair comparison. If you compared it to anything but a Civic I would have said ok, but man I despise those shifters... its like a hotdog in a hallway.

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
STI_wagon
Tri-State Addict

Member #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
A honda guy complaining about the WRX clutch and shifter? If he had the stock shifter then it is a bit long and sloppy, but I think the factory short shifter is quite nice.

its like a hotdog in a hallway.
The stock shifter is an easy fit, kartboy bushings and shifter.

Lux has four!?!? omg does she have teh sister?
STI_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
IntegrasAreBest
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2474

Quote:
my gsr tranny feels awesome. a sohc tranny sucks and you know it.
IntegrasAreBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
lol..someone took that a bit personally.

I drove one, pretty neat. Def can't feel much, but that could always be my opinion vs actuality!

ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Renegade_
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1912

My Ride:
1J Swaggon

And I highly doubt you pushed that car at all with the salesman in the car other than going WOT a few times. Throw a RSB on a subaru and whip it into a turn. It's a completely different animal.

I think it is probably on stock tires. I am running 17 inchers with Falken tires @ 215/45/17 and I can feel every single nick and crease in the road.

Renegade_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_ View Post
And I highly doubt you pushed that car at all with the salesman in the car other than going WOT a few times. Throw a RSB on a subaru and whip it into a turn. It's a completely different animal.

I think it is probably on stock tires. I am running 17 inchers with Falken tires @ 215/45/17 and I can feel every single nick and crease in the road.
Actually the salesman was egging me on. And this isn't a suspension thing, I thought it changed directions very well and the ride was superb. But when I put my hands on the wheel I couldn't feel the road. Same thing with the seat, fantastic seat, but I couldn't feel the road. I am being picky, it's a far nicer machine than I was expecting, but I still prefer my silly euro box.

Last edited by Raven18940; 01-24-2007 at 03:22 PM.
Raven18940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
No, I didn't. I also prefer RWD, so I have that bias. Not saying its in every car, that the car sucks, etc etc. For me, its a "different" feel, and it relates to control. I feel more in control with RWD than AWD, and part of that, well, most of that is my experiences, all of them being RWD. lol

ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
D Money
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #798

My Ride:
Big dawg ride

Send a message via AIM to D Money
WRX's are garbage.

Quote:
D has beat me up in public before. be careful this guy is reckless!
D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #17
Evo8kid
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #1631

My Ride:
contributes towards Global warming

Send a message via AIM to Evo8kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwrxkid View Post
WRX's are garbage.
..now thats a quote worth putting in the sig

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2008 Audi RS4- 420 HP 4.2L V8
2004 Honda CBR600RR
Evo8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #18
jspek
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #539

My Ride:
cafe and a broke s2k

Send a message via AIM to jspek
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwrxkid View Post
WRX's are garbage.
exactly lol.

Last edited by jspek; 01-25-2007 at 01:25 AM.
jspek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #19
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
Aw, you didnt disagree very much... boring haha. The STi has a quicker steering rack, and the Evo has an even quicker rack, well on its way to track car responsiveness. I do wish the lock to lock was a bit shorter on the WRX, and the brakes were bigger, and the engine was bigger, and, and...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
Raven18940
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #686

My Ride:
2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Aw, you didnt disagree very much... boring haha. The STi has a quicker steering rack, and the Evo has an even quicker rack, well on its way to track car responsiveness. I do wish the lock to lock was a bit shorter on the WRX, and the brakes were bigger, and the engine was bigger, and, and...
ahhhhhh, sorry, you posted while I was typing

Quote:
A Saab guy complaining there isnt enough feedback in a WRX? I haven't been on stock suspension in a long time but stock for stock I'd find it hard to believe that a Saab would have a more performance oriented suspension than a WRX. How much does your luxury car weigh and how supple is the ride in it?
Not what I meant, I thought the suspension was very nicely setup. But this isn't really a suspension problem, it's not something you can quantify with numbers. I have no doubt that at the absolute limit the wrx is faster, but I feel that my saab can dance on the limit much easier than the wrx. When I drive my and any saab for that matter I feel like I'm one with the machine. When I drove that WRX I felt like the captain of a small, fast boat, completely in control of where we go, but not as involved in how it happened.

It's a very hard thing to explain, I'll have to let you drive my car at a meet some time.

Can't fault the shifter, SAAB's is probably the worst in the business. But at the end of the day the shifter is just for swapping cogs.