TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Ask The Law
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

U-Turn vs. Right Hand Turn

First off, I live in PA. This has happened to me a few times, and I always wondered, "What if?" Where I work, I have to make a U-Turn to be able to get to the road that takes me home. It's 2 lanes on one side, with medians in the middle, with occasional breaks to allow for U-Turns/turns across traffic. There's a third lane where I turn, for turning.

The place where I make a U-Turn is at a light (which has a turning lane & a turning arrow) and there's no signs indicating that you can't make a U. When the light turns green for me, with the green turn arrow, and I go to make my U-Turn. But, sometimes people waiting to make a right hand turn off of a street that comes out right where I make a u-turn.

It's hard to explain, so I made a stupid diagram. The blue car is me, the purple car is the one making a right turn on red into my lane

My question is, if I am making a legal U-Turn when I have the green light (and turn arrow), and someone makes a right hand turn on red into the lane I'm u-turning into, and we somehow managed to crash, who's fault would it be?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
]

Quote:
It was the sexual guardian angel saying sir your stroke is on point, go forth and conquer
ASIAN JUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

Just bumping because I'm still curious - figured I'd wait a few months before bumping.
|
]

Quote:
It was the sexual guardian angel saying sir your stroke is on point, go forth and conquer
Old 03-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

does the other street have a no turn on red sign
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
ASIAN JUL
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #9030

My Ride:
'95 Integra LS hatch

I'll have to take a look, I'm pretty sure there isn't one, but I thought you could only turn on red if traffic was clear.. and I thought me turning for a green arrow into the left lane would technically give me the right of way over someone turning on red into the left lane.. but obviously I don't know since I'm asking. Thanks, I'll look and report back.
|
]

Quote:
Old 03-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Bane
[TST] Police Officer

Member #8526

My Ride:
Will P.I.T. you

you are correct you are to only enter the flow of traffic if the travel lanes are clear, let me know about the sign