TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > Off-Topic
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

Don Imus, let's hear what you think about it...

My opinion: Not the best description or choice of words, but he said it, apologized and said he will make right of it. Suspended for two weeks as a result but not fired (well, not yet). I don't think he should be fired, but action was correctly taken IMHO.

What about everyone else? Was anyone offended by it?

I agree 100% w/ Patrice O'Neal, if you caught him on Hannity and Colmes

2013 Nissan Juke, 1.6T/Auto/FWD (wife's car lol
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
)
Intercooled T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
What happened? I've never liked him.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
PotenzaSub
Tri-State Addict

Member #2213

I don't care....

This is stupid news.
PotenzaSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:
'68 Kaiser M715/ '37 Ford truck/'47 Dodge truck

I don't really like what he said...but this is America where we all have freedom of speech, unless of course someone gets offended, then you must lose your job and die.

I feel it has been blown way out of proportion. If it wasn't for that one listener of his, we would never know about it.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road

Last edited by poolmike; 04-09-2007 at 10:20 PM.
poolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

he referred to the Rutger's women's basketball team as 'nappy-headed hoes' in a joking manner, and it wasn't taken too well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
)
Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
1st Amendment.

Nuff said.

ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:

The 'nappy headed' thing is just wrong. But, I always stay with freedom of speech FTW!

If you don't like what Imus has to say, join the rest of the world and don't listen to him.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
redline
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #784

Send a message via AIM to redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled T View Post
he referred to the Rutger's women's basketball team as 'nappy-headed hoes' in a joking manner, and it wasn't taken too well...
HAHAHAHA! Thats all. It's talk radio, get a clue. Family guy goes further than that!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:

Al Sharpton offends me ever time he opens his mouth....then I change the channel.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #10
PotenzaSub
Tri-State Addict

Member #2213

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmike View Post

I feel it has been blown way out of proportion.
Exactly.

I've actually watched Imus before on several occasions on MSNBC. He reminds me of my High School Constitutional Law teacher. He said what was on his minds all the time. He'd make fun of everyone in the class if he didn't like something about them. He made a fat kid cry one time. (The only reason he didn't rip on me very much is because I pwned his tests and essay assignments.) But, it was funny when he ripped on us. The world needs people who speak their minds.
PotenzaSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
poolmike
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #543

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotenzaSub View Post
The world needs people who speak their minds.
Exactly! The world also needs people that don't get so easily offended.
1937 Ford pick-up
1950 Crosley Farm-o-Road
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
smoger
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #64

Send a message via AIM to smoger
guys.. the right to free speech does NOT apply when you are representing your employer.

go get a job as a clerk in a store, tell a customer to **** off, and then tell your employer he's violating your rights when you get canned. see how far that gets you.

now,.. im not saying he should be fired or anything.. its no secret that radio shows largely get their ratings from controversey.. so to say this is a suprise would be an utter joke.

i think he just made a joke in poor taste, and the suspension was probably fair so cbs could show they dont agree with his words. i also think a lot of people get way too butthurt too easily in this country!

| 2000 Black Acura 3.2TL

.. all car enthusiasts are welcome
smoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
Intercooled T
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #207

My Ride:
2003 Toyota Rav4

wow, I agree w/ smoger 100% for once lol...me and him are either totally at odds or totally in agreeance...weird

)
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #14
ITSTOCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #844

The joke was made in poor taste. The moron's JJ and the Rev. jumped all over him calling for his job. They made a bigger deal out of this over the rappers (I heard the argument on one of the programs so I'm just repeating it). It's what they do. If people like them weren't around to MAKE an issue out of it, NOBODY WOULD GIVE A ****!!!! The girls would shake their heads and say, "those crazy damn crackers!" But no, the dildo JJ and the Rev. have to get themselves attention. Did anyone see when Imus went on the Rev's show and said the words, "you people"...I can't wait for South Park to make SENSE out of all of this nonsense.

Imus is an idiot anyway, it's no surprise that he has bad humor also. It's still his radio show, and when you have your own show or are part of the show, it's all about the controversy.

Last edited by ITSTOCK; 04-09-2007 at 11:20 PM.
ITSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #15
whitezenki
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #3121

My Ride:
1992 Nissan 240sx

Send a message via AIM to whitezenki
Lol, i personally dont think its such a big deal, but its funny I just got this email like 20 minutes ago in my rutgers email...

Quote:
Members of the Rutgers Community:

Last week our university family was focused on celebrating the amazing performance of our Scarlet Knights women's basketball team in the NCAA tournament. The team brought pride and excitement to our university and captured the hearts of people across the state and the nation. Our student-athletes and their coach deserved to feel immensely proud of what they had just accomplished, but they had that moment stolen away by the racist, sexist remarks of radio personality Don Imus and his colleagues.

Mr. Imus' shocking comments last week were despicable and deeply hurtful to our students, our coach, and their families. They were also offensive to every member of the Rutgers community, as well as to people across the nation. Racism and sexism have no place in our society and are completely at odds with our values as a university that celebrates diversity and civility.

As a university, our focus is on the best interests of the student-athletes and on supporting their coaches and families. I met with the coach and team members Monday morning to get a sense of how they are feeling and what their wishes are. I have also been in touch with their parents.

Ten remarkable young women have had to deal with a completely undeserved and very personal shock. What should be a feeling of euphoria has turned to one of anguish. I know you join me in warmly embracing this team of student-athletes in the hope that our support will help them through this painful moment in their lives.

Many at Rutgers have asked or have been asked about this matter and are looking for information on our position. The University's position, including points from statements we have issued since last Thursday, is the following:

* These 10 young women, members of the Rutgers family, have been harmed by the comments made by Mr. Imus and his colleagues. Our first priority is looking after the interests of our students and supporting the team.

* It is unconscionable for anyone to use the airways to utter such disgraceful, disgusting and racist remarks and to show such disregard for the dignity of human beings who have accomplished so much and deserve great credit. The comments by Mr. Imus have been extremely hurtful not only to the members of the Rutgers basketball team and their families but also to people across the nation.

* We are very proud of Coach C. Vivian Stringer and the talented young women who comprise the Rutgers women's basketball team. These student-athletes have worked extremely hard on and off the basketball court. They have been and continue to be outstanding ambassadors for Rutgers.

* Mr. Imus has asked to meet directly with Coach Stringer and the players. We have shared that request with the coach and members of the team, and it is their decision whether to honor the request. We will respect their wishes, whatever they decide.

As noted above, Coach Stringer, athletic director Bob Mulcahy, and I have issued statements on the matter over the past several days, and all can be found on a link from the Rutgers home page: www.rutgers.edu. We will continue to speak out and to make clear that the university will not tolerate such uncivil, irresponsible, and offensive behavior. We stand behind our team and are deeply proud of these exceptional Rutgers students.

Richard L. McCormick
President
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

You gonna drive it, or buy it a dress?

whitezenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
ITSTOCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #844

Why the **** would IMUS meet with them? The same thing is going to happen that did with the Rev. (you know, since that's everyones idol and all!!!). He is going to show up, they are going to be intolerant of him and his words, probably call him a dumb, mean person, and talk about "his people" not giving "their people" proper respect (and monetary dues ;) ) and it all comes right back around.

SO ****ING STUPID!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #17
ozthunder
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #2994

My Ride:
2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V

Send a message via AIM to ozthunder
People should have respect, but the relativism of today is absolutely ridiculous.

ozthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #18
Tru2Blu
Tri-State Addict

Member #1214

My Ride:
02 Mazda Millenia

Send a message via AIM to Tru2Blu Send a message via MSN to Tru2Blu Send a message via Yahoo to Tru2Blu
I was dying laughing when i hard him say it. That joint was funny. leave the man with his job. Probably would not be this serious if a black person said it.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #19
ITSTOCK
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Blu View Post
I was dying laughing when i hard him say it. That joint was funny. leave the man with his job. Probably would not be this serious if a black person said it.
I look at it as being called a greasy Italian. I get it all the time and think nothing of it, so I agree with you.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #20
goodfella732
Tri-State Addict

Member #3168

My Ride:
Es Are Tee Quattro

If Howard would have done this he would have been canned the next day. No apologizing, no comments, no meetings. He would have been fired on the spot and made an example of.

2006 OBP Subaru STi
goodfella732 is offline   Reply With Quote