TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Racing > Road Racing
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
cs82685
Tri-State Training Wheels

Member #6977

My Ride:
Evo IX / 96 Eclipse RST

Pics from hpde event in Oct

Well I posted about going to this event before hand, in this thread but forgot to put up pictures, so here is the story and the pics (sorry for the fact they're mostly just of my car and from the same point)...

So as the second half of my wedding present from my wife, I participated in an HPDE event (first half of the gift was my helmet ) Anyways, this was only the second time I've ever been on a track like this and the first time driving. This was a bmwcca event that I did with a buddy from work. The track was a pretty simple layout, 1.5mi, 5 turns, no elevation changes and pretty much all open, a great beginner track.

I started out in the beginner run group on day one and during my first session my instructor said he may see about moving me to the next group up the following day. The line was pretty easy to get down and after that, there were just too many cars in the group that were underpowered in comparison so I would spend a lot of time waiting for a point by instead of getting to run a lap full out.

I ended up staying in the beginner group for the first day and half of the second having never had anyone in my mirrors and never having to give a point by. There were 2 cars in my group that I never passed. One a newer mustang with IDK what done to it but it said foose all over it and I could tell the thing was booking on the straights. The other a CTS-V. I spoke to this driver after one of the sessions b/c I was on his ass for the second half of it. He was clearly faster on the straights but I had him through the turns and we kept getting slowed up by other traffic, otherwise he said he was going to give me a point by. (I'll get back to him later). All in all, I tracked down a few carreras an E46 M3 and a plethora of underpowered cars.

So second half of the second day and I moved up into the intermediate group and got signed off to drive by myself (although I kept the instructor to continue giving me pointers). First session I was passed by an E90 M3 and would have been passed by a gt3 if it wasn't for a red flag. Aside from that I had a great session with some complete solid laps. Next session I got a little sloppy and was passed by quite a few more cars, 05+ mustang gt (although I stayed on his ass in the twisties) bmw 650, that thing moved around pretty good for a tank. The cts-v moved to this group too and had some room to stretch the right foot so he ended up losing me after a straight or two.

All in all it was awesome, some of the most fun I've ever had. My father came the first day and got a ride in my instructors car (E90 M3 from the dealership he works at). After that and watching me, he began asking me what parts I was going to need next year. I foresee him driving next year too, haha.

Anyways some pics....

I also got comments all weekend of 'that car's fast' and 'is that thing stock' (it is btw) haha
cs82685 is offline   Reply With Quote