TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Tech > Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
BradC
Tri-State Addict

Member #1083

My Ride:
Boosted NA/2000 SAAB 9-5

Send a message via AIM to BradC
Refurbing rubber isolation mounts for a subframe brace...ideas needed!

Ok guys, I recently won a Carbing subframe brace for my NA Miata.

This brace bolts to the subframe near the rear mounting points of the LCAs and also has a bracket that ties into the two lower fasteners on the transmission bellhousing (image below).

As you can see, there are two rubber vibration isolators that go between the tranny bracket and the brace itself. These are ripped.

Researching cylindrical vibration mounts, I cannot find any with a high enough rating when dealing with shear forces to keep them from tearing again.

So, what I need, are ideas on how to rebuild this.

I don't want anything 100% solid as it will transmit a ton of NVH into the cabin.

My current thought is something like this....

Take a threaded rod and some sway bar end link bushings and set it up like this.

End link bushings -

nut---lock washer---1" washer---bushing---bracket to bellhousing---bushing (or bushings, depending on how much space is needed to fill)---bracket on brace---bushing---1" washer---lock washer---nut

So, there would be a threaded rod (sized slightly smaller then the ID of the holes in the bracket) with the above sequence of washers, bushings, etc bolted to it.

I would imagine this would be much stiffer then the ****ty rubber snubbers that ripped off of this brace.

Would it be too stiff/direct of a connection though and vibrate like a whore?

What are your thoughts guys? Positive and negative appreciated, as is any other good ideas!!