TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info

Notices

Old 03-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
Braille batteries are rebadged Deka batteries?

So sesolcSTI pointed this out to me because he is in the market for a new battery and I've never heard of this and thought I should share it with everyone else. Basically I found a couple threads stating that the Deka ETX14 is the same exact battery as the Braille battery. Exact same weight, same size and test's at the same CCA's. Even the new battery that is released for everyday use that is 15lbs from Braille is the same specs as the Deka ETX20L. The Deka batteries can be had for around $60 without the terminals.

Some tests on the Deka batteries:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060

Braille responding on a EvolutionM. They don't sound to happy, but they don't confirm or deny that they are the same battery. So could it be that the Deka and Braille batteries are made by the same company and they are branded with the other companies stickers.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...hreadid=228754

Some more info here from 11SecS4 on a Audi forum. 11SecS4 if your still around are you running this battery?
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...76#post1423576

More links and info:
http://automotivetech.org/at/showthread.php?t=2231
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2369433

The company:
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/default.aspx?pageid=510

I'll be trying this out in the near future and see how it works out.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj

Last edited by Silverfc88; 03-18-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
yeah i read up on this too... i concluded that they probably are the same, but neither are reliable enough for a daily driven car, especially in a colder climate. if anything i was goign to go with the odyssey battery, but it was too much cash for me so i just got a normal one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:

I hear ya about the cold climates.

When it was in the single digits early in the morning earlier this year my car didn't want to start. I have the PC680 and I've had it for 3 years now and this was the first time this has happened to me. I still love the little battery, a little jump start that morning from my jump box and I haven't had a problem since then. It is getting old so I am looking around now at a replacement.

If I do try out one of the Deka batteries it will be one of the 15lb ones. If not then I will get another Hawker.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj
Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
yeah i do admit i was tempted to try out one of these deka batteries... for the money they would probably be really nice, especially if its going into something that isnt your DD

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Action Park
Tri-State Addict

Member #2802

My Ride:
bug and a rabbit

My pc680 took a poop in less than 1k miles. Steam was pouring out of the negative terminal. A good deal of people have been having issues with the braille I'm told.
Action Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:

Well I've been running the Deka ETX14 for about a week and its great so far. I picked up the battery at
Yeadon Industrial Park
480 Commerce Drive
Yeadon, PA 19050
Phone: 610-622-6650
Fax: 610-622-5927

You can get battery terminals for it here.
http://www.batteryprice.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=850

Last edited by Silverfc88; 04-04-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
gpzjack
Tri-State Addict

Member #3422

My Ride:
07 Legacy 06 Mazda5 96 Dakota 78 Firebird 03 Kawasaki

I work around the corner from that place. Not really that big. I read somewhere that there are only a few battery manufacturers out there so its pretty common to find this.

gpzjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzjack View Post
I work around the corner from that place. Not really that big. I read somewhere that there are only a few battery manufacturers out there so its pretty common to find this.

Yeah I didn't know where else to go for it. So I just went there. It is small and took me a little bit to find it. For only $48 I thought it was a deal. I guess through a bike store it would be about $65 for the battery.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
Ender81
*yawn*
Super Moderator

Member #1753

My Ride:
Idles a little rough ;)

I picked up a couple Deka batteries straight from the factory, located just outside of Kutztown. I don't use one in the WRX but in my Beetle and and a few other cars I've had I was happy with them.
I know this is my work cutting into this, but they use a pretty expensive casket for the Dragula.

Ender81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:

Well the battery is still in the car and it starts right up everytime. Waiting for winter to see how it holds up.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
OnlyTheTruth
Noob-Jersey

Member #19069

My Ride:
Junk

Over Rated Braille Batteries

Upon further checking, Braille Batteries REALLY ARE re-badged DEKA 'MOTORCYCLE' batteries...they are not even made for cars. They are the ETX AGM series. The biggest DEKA ETX is a a 21 pound battery that Harley Davidson puts in their...you got it, little HOG engines. So many of us are killing these batteries because they are not meant for cars. Yeah, they crank over a car engine, but, they are not meant for that, so, they crap out and die young. And, all the numbers that Braille posts for cranking amps are a pile of lies. That's a fact.
OnlyTheTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
mann
Tri-State Addict

Member #3824

My Ride:
06 mx-5 turbo

this is an ancient thread but regardless there's some info that should be cleared up.

Braille rates the batteries differently then Deka, it is a common practice. Generally sustained vs peak cranking amps is the issue IIRC. Deka rates the lower end.

Durability wise the small batteries will do perfectly fine for smaller engines (i4 2l or similar) but you must keep them on a battery tender or drive frequently. They will not hold a charge for long especially in the cold.

The weight tradeoff is worth it to many. If you need a battery that will start in the winter and doesn't need maintenance then a 45lb standard battery is what you want.

FYI Deka (aka east penn) is a battery manufacturer and makes batteries for countless brands, not just braille. What you pay for with braille is obviously the name, the advertising, whatever warranty they provide, and the testing they might or might not have done to determine which ones work well on which cars/for what purpose.

mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
96Clipse
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #15606

My Ride:
2000 Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann View Post
FYI Deka (aka east penn) is a battery manufacturer and makes batteries for countless brands, not just braille. What you pay for with braille is obviously the name, the advertising, whatever warranty they provide, and the testing they might or might not have done to determine which ones work well on which cars/for what purpose.
QFT

In reality there are only really like 4 major battery manufacturers throughout the united states, they all sell their batteries to different companies who throw their sticker on it, give it a warranty and a rating, and ship it to the shelves. So you really are just paying for a name and a warranty, cuz 90% chance you can get the exact same battery from a no name brand, with a **** warranty.
96Clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
The Alchemist
Tri-State Aficionado

Member #14803

I used to run these Deku batteries on my work trucks, but they are so god damn horrible. Every year they go bad, or rot out, and have to be replaced. I now only use Optima batteries, because they never die!

Knock on wood