TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast  

Go Back TriStateTuners.com :: Home of Tristate Auto Enthusiast > Community > General Car Related Chat
Register Rules & Info Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

turbo mounting question...

I know this is probably a noob question...but since this is the 1st turbo I've worked with, I simply don't know the answer. I have a T28 BB turbo that has been fully rebuilt, ported and balanced. I'm going to be running a bottom mount set-up and when I line everything up, the oil drain hole sits on top. I don't know if that's just the way it was put back together or what. It's internally gated so it doesn't seem like I can just simply "clock" it. Has anyone else experience this problem? How do I go about correcting it? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
twastheglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

If this should have been posted in "engine performance", I apologize. Move it to where you see fit.

Quote:
But what if they encouraged it AND the stickers turn out to be awesome? They COULD POSSIBLY say something like "I love Mike and would turn gay for his tattooed, bmw driving, new york living ass". just saying.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

You can clock it. The center section can spin without moving the exhuast or intake housing independently.

loosen all the bolts on both housings..then spin it
TurboTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

Send a message via AIM to TROLL
yeah thats what i was going to say but he said that it has an internal wastegate so he cant just spin it... i'm really not sure in this case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

You have to losen up BOTH housings at once.

I just installed my gt28rs friday night. I have an HKS internal actuator..... I clocked the turbo
Old 07-08-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

oh right... that makes sense... durr.
ok so you can loosen both housings, and rotate them together... yeah that makes sense. this will allow you to clock it so that the drain is point down.

just talking it through for myself and for twastheglow in case it helps...

|

Quote:
If your ever wearing your shirt and someone asks who Mike BartSUki is. Tell them Im a Youtube Sensation and the Top Underground Drifter coming out of Japan! HAHA How JDM is that!

|
Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Thank you guys. That does help. I'll try doing that tonight. So I just need to loosen the bolts in both housings then the middle section will spin to where I want it then I just tighten it up again? Thanks for your help you two.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
TurboTagTeam
Tri-State Post Whore
Banned

Member #275

My Ride:
constantly changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by twastheglow View Post
Thank you guys. That does help. I'll try doing that tonight. So I just need to loosen the bolts in both housings then the middle section will spin to where I want it then I just tighten it up again? Thanks for your help you two.
correct
Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

So I took your advice guys and I tried moving the center section so the drain flange was at the bottom but it's not working out. I loosened the bolts on the exhaust side, but there aren't really any on the intake side. With all the exhaust bolts loosened, the exhaust housing want to turn, not the center section. BUT...since it's internally gated, I can't just rotate things. Here are some pics...tell me what you guys think.

Here's a pic of the exhaust bolts I loosened...

As you can see, there aren't any bolts on this side...

Here's the flange I'm trying to move. I need it on the opposite side from where the turbo mounts to the manifold...

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
Looks like your missing a couple of bolts and a retainer on your compressor cover. If you loosen the bolts that you see on the compressor you will be able to rotate the cover by itself.

So clock the center section where you want it in relation to the exhaust housing and then lock those bolts down. Rotate your compressor cover to where you want it to point and then tighten those bolts.

You should be able to clock you turbo even if it is internally gated. The wastegate valve is attached to your exhaust housing and your turbine wheel is attached to the center section. Take the exhaust housing all the way off and you'll see what I'm talking about. Just be carefull not to bend or hit any of the fins of the turbo.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj

Last edited by Silverfc88; 07-08-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95nracer View Post
Looks like your missing a couple of bolts and a retainer on your compressor cover. If you loosen the bolts that you see on the compressor you will be able to rotate the cover by itself.

So clock the center section where you want it in relation to the exhaust housing and then lock those bolts down. Rotate your compressor cover to where you want it to point and then tighten those bolts.
I have the bolts and retainer. I just took them off while I was messing with this.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

ok if its not rotating when you have the bolts loose then its possible that the compressor housing has a silicone seal inside that seam to make sure it doesnt leak... you're probably going to have to remove the compressor housing completely to break that seal then assemble it back together oriented how you want (with a fresh silicone seal). you might have to work it off, it can be tight (and a little scary) since you dont want to damage the wheel, but just go slow and gradually apply more pressure until it gives way. mine took quite a bit of effort... and then i cleaned up both surfaces and resealed it with the high temp permatex sealant.

|

Quote:

|
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
ok if its not rotating when you have the bolts loose then its possible that the compressor housing has a silicone seal inside that seam to make sure it doesnt leak... you're probably going to have to remove the compressor housing completely to break that seal then assemble it back together oriented how you want (with a fresh silicone seal). you might have to work it off, it can be tight (and a little scary) since you dont want to damage the wheel, but just go slow and gradually apply more pressure until it gives way. mine took quite a bit of effort... and then i cleaned up both surfaces and resealed it with the high temp permatex sealant.
Jesus...I hope you're kidding me. That's the thing, the compressor side doesn't have any bolts...just some for some bracketry. How the hell do I go about taking this bitch apart? This sucks. I just had this rebuilt. I don't want to **** up what was just done to it.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
Silverfc88
Tri-State Post Whore

Member #126

My Ride:
88 RX7 TII, 2012 WRX hatch

Send a message via AIM to Silverfc88
The bolts you already took off the compressor are the bolts that you use to rotate/remove the cover.

Troll is right, take your time with it. On the last one I took apart there was a giant oring in the compressor cover and you definetly don't want to put a gouge in the thing.

Run a file on the flange of the turbo to make sure its flat to before you throw on there.
Streetport 13bt, Haltech Sprint RE, FIC 1150cc + Delphi 1000cc injectors, Walbro 255, Borg Warner s360 .88, HKS mani, JGS 50mm, Greddy FMIC, HKS Twin Power, AEM water/meth inj

Last edited by Silverfc88; 07-08-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Silverfc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #15
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

those little brackets actually do hold the compressor cover on... look at it and you'll see that the brackets go over that lip and hold the two pieces together.
its not too big a deal to separate them... it wont throw anything off so you're not messing up what was just rebuilt. just take your time and feel it out slowly, you'll get it.
i think i eventually ended up finding a way to put a small wrench in there to pry lightly to try and separate the housing from the center section because it wasnt budging by hand.

|

Quote:

|
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
twastheglow
TST Ruined My Life!

Member #5286

My Ride:
pulls bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95nracer View Post
The bolts you already took off the compressor are the bolts that you use to rotate/remove the cover.

Troll is right, take your time with it. On the couple that I have taken apart there is a giant oring in the compressor cover and you definetly don't want to put a gouge in the thing.

Run a file on the flange of the turbo to make sure its flat to before you throw on there.

You're right. I apologize. It took some definate finesing, but I got it to spin. Aparently I didn't have 2 of the compressor bolts back off far enough. Upon further inspection, those brackets are what keep the compressor in place. Sorry for being so ignorant. Thank you all for your help though. Now that I'm quite humbled, I'll finish what I started.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
TROLL
The [TST] Don
Admin

Member #3

My Ride:
07 Bugeye STi - 94 Supra

ha, glad you got it figured out i was pretty flustered about mine the first time i had to mess with it too...

|

Quote:

|